Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question about doing a season in Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow snow friends,

I am new to Europe and manage to arrange my job so that I could spend 1-2 months in the alps next winter.
I'm thinking of Salzburg.

How close are the closest resorts from the city centre covered by the SuperSkiCard?
What's the snow conditions like? Are they crowded?
Are there backcountry, ski touring options nearby?
Are there terrain parks?
How late does the season get, like powder in april?

My ideal situation would be like:
1) practise my skills on-piste on most days, so having a resort withint 30-40min driving would be nice, doesn't have to be big, just enough for practising
2) go ski touring once a week, nothing wide, mellow options are good.
3) do inbound powder once in a while when conditions permit
4) potentially venture into terrain parks if i get bored

any tips whether salzburg is the right place to be?
i think about salzburg also because it's a relatively big city with an airport, so i can fly easily and do other city stuff too.

Many thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@yoyowoo, I think you mean by arranging your job that you would have 1-2 months of leave, correct? Working remotely in Austria would have tax implications.

The closest small ski areas to Salzburg are Gaissau/Hintersee which is currently on sale, Bad Dürrnberg and Werfenweng. With a car they can all be reached within 40 minutes. Larger areas such as Flachau, Dachstein West, Hochkönig, Lofer can easily be reached within an hour. Many possibilities also for ski touring and langlauf.

Snow conditions are of course variable, but each year I manage to ski from November to April. The busy times to avoid are Silvester week and all of February.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Assuming "working" means sitting at a laptop for a few hours a day then for short periods there should not be any tax issues (assume you or your employer will be making the appropriate visa arrangements for wherever you are based).

Salzburg is not a bad spot, it is a nice place with plenty of skiing nearby (it also has a first rate Bierkeller!). You might want to look at Innsbruck too, it has skiing actually in the city and lots of areas nearby (linked with buses from the city centre). There is also has a ski card which covers pretty much all of the Tirol (big exception is the Arlberg, but if you only go for the odd day then pay for a day pass). There is an airport with links to Vienna & Frankfurt, maybe it gets more weather problems than Salzburg. There is a member here who lives & works in Innsbruck and goes skiing before work / in his lunch break!

Innsbruck probably offers a wider variety of touring and powder options (not knocking Salzburg, plenty there too)

Note that the concept of "inbounds" skiing does not exist in Europe, you are either "on piste" which is secured and patrolled or you are not and reliant on your own judgement. Most people would suggest skiing off piste on your own is not really a good idea. Some Austrian areas have "ski routes" the definition of which can be a bit vague but are basically paths or lines on the mountain which are unpisted but given a quick once over by the ski patrol. There may be hazards like rocks and do not have the level of avalanche checking that pistes have, they are best avoided in low visibility conditions as drops and other terrain hazards are not marked. However they can offer some of the best skiing if you are confident in your own abilities.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The great thing about Salzburg is that you've got a whole host of great resorts within an hour and a half. The bad news is that none of them are within 45 mins. Innsbruck would be more convenient for quick access to the slopes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to add, and @munich_irish would presumably be in the best position to advise, Munich would be about as good as Salzburg for access to anywhere except the Eastern resorts such as Flachau and Schladming and have more to do, better access to elsewhere in Europe etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why Salzburg? If you are not working or can work anywhere why not position in a valley town/village close to a number of resorts and not have to deal with city traffic.parking The main advantage of being in a city like Salzburg or Innsbruck is to be able to take public transport easily to nearby ski hills. You can still be within 30-45 mins drive of a city for the urge to do "city things".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@yoyowoo, As @Dave of the Marmottes, said, why be in Salzburg when Bischofshofen is a decent enough town and puts the whole of the Ski Amade within 30 mins? Likewise, Salzburg is only 30 mins by direct train from there. If you really want the skiing to be your priority then go for a resort location like Flachau or Altenmarkt.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 3-05-22 16:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure Munich would be ideal. I live on the east side of town, not far from the A99 ring road. Given empty roads and good weather I can get to Scheffau in 55mins to an hour, 1.25 hours with normal traffic, 2 hours plus on busy days. From the centre or south of town day trips to Garmisch or Brauneck are possible on the train. However this is not the same as being "in the mountains". One other possible location might be the Vorarlberg, no big cities but large towns, Bregenz, Dornbirn & Feldkirch. A lot of small local areas plus the Montafon and the Arlberg (one of the world's best skiing areas). Easy journey to Zürich airport with connections to pretty much anywhere. A non Austrian option might be the area of France just south of Geneva, easy to get to the airport but near some very well known skiing, Chamonix not the least
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Resorts accessible from Salzburg:

Flachau: 55mins (Flachauwinkl has a lift served, in-bound off piste area)
Zauchensee: 65mins (extensive area)
Abtenau: 46mins (small but fun area with a great toboggan run) (dedicated touring route).
Annaburg: 66mins (closest access point for Dachstein West) (another 15 mins further on for Russbach with dedicated touring route)
Postalm: 58mins (small, easy area with some fairly extensive Langlauf also)
Schladming: 70mins
St Johann im Pongau: 49mins
Leogang: 76mins (closest access point for the Ski Circus - vast ski area, loads of options)
Filzmoos: 57mins (small, quaint area)

There are other options, some listed earlier by@Mankei.

Salzburg also provides quick (40 mins) access to the Salzkammergut (Austria’s Lake District) if you want a change of pace and scenery. There are, as a consequence, other touring ski options away from the usual resort set up. Also a lot of Langlauf options.

Otherwise, Salzburg is a lovely place to be based, if being in a city is your bag.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 3-05-22 14:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Cacciatore, I expect it depends where you are situated in Salzburg and how the Autobahn is running, but from my home in Maxglan I can easily arrive in Schladming in much less than 110 minutes. More likely 70 minutes. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Looks like Salzburg isn't ideal. The reason I said there is I potentially would like to buy an apartment down the road for vacation.
I therefore need a more city place where there are serviced apartments and summer activities.
Definitely debating between Innsbruck vs Salzburg. Said Salzburg for its summer appeal (Salzburg Festival, or just classical music all year round).
but if Innsbruck is much better for skiing access, then that is a priority.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@yoyowoo, a non-resident, non-EU Citizen will not easily be able to buy an apartment in Austria. Also the supply of apartments which can be used as second homes or for tourism rental has reduced in recent years. Perhaps some more research is needed for you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mankei wrote:
@Cacciatore, I expect it depends where you are situated in Salzburg and how the Autobahn is running, but from my home in Maxglan I can easily arrive in Schladming in much less than 110 minutes. More likely 70 minutes. wink

Embarassed I see what I did there rolling eyes Laughing Yes! 70 mins would be correct!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@yoyowoo, If you like classical music then Salzburg is a great spot, though the various Festivals do get booked up a long time in advance especially if "star" names are performing. It is a nice place but maybe too many tourists at times. Innsbruck doesnt have the range of cultural activities that Salzburg does, it has a somewhat a more provincial heritage, less cosmopolitan. It is however set in the centre of the mountains in a way that not many other large towns / cities are. It is ideally located for both winter and summer mountain activities. It can get pretty warm in summer these days.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yoyowoo wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

The reason I said there is I potentially would like to buy an apartment down the road for vacation.

Currently zero chance of buying an apartment in Salzburgland unless you're an EU or EEA citizen or you can find the "Unicorn" second home or tourist rental available to 3CN buyers. If you are an EU/EEA citizen, I have one on sale (or for long term rent) in Flachau, but you'd need to declare it your Hauptwohnsitz Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 3-05-22 18:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Maybe Italy? Hard to beat for culture. Trento is a similar size to Innsbruck, has its own small ski hill, and an hour from Pinzolo which gets you access to Madonna di Campiglo, just North of Lake Garda. No idea about cost, availability, bureaucracy etc.
ski holidays
Aosta as another Italian option.
latest report
Do you know the prices in Salzburg?
Wien - Salzburg - Innsbruck have the highest prices weither buy or rent
Try somewhere little bit away heading to the alps.
Maybe Radstadt? Or Landeck?
Bregenz?
ski holidays
Riccardo wrote:
Maybe Italy? Hard to beat for culture. Trento is a similar size to Innsbruck, has its own small ski hill, and an hour from Pinzolo which gets you access to Madonna di Campiglo, just North of Lake Garda. No idea about cost, availability, bureaucracy etc.

I know the OP is looking in a different country but Trento (or Bolzano) are great options for someone who wants spend a few months near ski resorts but wants/needs a real town. Both routinely come in the top 10 places to live in Italy, have plenty of resorts within a hours drive and are on main line railways. Trento to Verona is less than an hour by train, Milan and Venice a couple of hours, lake Garda 40 mins drive from Trento. You can even get the train direct to several ski resorts (at least 3) and walk from it direct to a gondola.

Not been to Aosta but the Italian detective serios Rocco Schiavone makes it look a bit dodgy, kind of like Dalziel and Pascoe makes Yorkshire look Very Happy
latest report
@richb67, Aosta is very civilised! But I didn't know there was a detective series - going to find that. Very Happy

Can assure the OP that Aosta is great and worth a look.
latest report
ElzP wrote:
@richb67, Aosta is very civilised! But I didn't know there was a detective series - going to find that. Very Happy

Can assure the OP that Aosta is great and worth a look.

with Walter Presents in the UK

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/ice-cold-murders-rocco-schiavone

it does make Aosta town look quite pretty

ps first episode has someone squished by a piste basher Very Happy
snow conditions
In Champoluc - just started watching it.
latest report
Lol, think the first murder is in on a piste in Champoluc so you might be able to recognise the location.

Sorry OP for thread hijack…
latest report
@yoyowoo,
Consider Chambery, Albertville, Chamonix, Bourg-St-Maurice
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
In Champoluc - just started watching it.

I watched all of the first two series, hoping to see some more ski locations, but in vain! Good series, though!
ski holidays
I'm interested in the question that hasn't been addressed yet which is how do you rent a not too far ski adjacent appt or studio for the winter without getting sucked into Austrian 3 year leases or paying full tourist rates? I assuming somewhere like Innsbruck with a fairly large rotating youngish international population there are always house shares or sublet rooms coming up for grabs but elsewhere? Like if I wanted to try out Saalfelden or Bischofshofen or Worgl just to pick a few geographically convenient towns?
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, in Salzburg there are often short term rentals for rooms and studios, notably for students and during the time of the Festspiele. In tourism towns one would have to make an arrangement with an owner for a tourism property, but this is not likely for the peak tourism weeks.
snow report
richb67 wrote:
Riccardo wrote:

I know the OP is looking in a different country but Trento (or Bolzano) are great options for someone who wants spend a few months near ski resorts but wants/needs a real town. Both routinely come in the top 10 places to live in Italy, have plenty of resorts within a hours drive and are on main line railways. Trento to Verona is less than an hour by train, Milan and Venice a couple of hours, lake Garda 40 mins drive from Trento. You can even get the train direct to several ski resorts (at least 3) and walk from it direct to a gondola.

Not been to Aosta but the Italian detective serios Rocco Schiavone makes it look a bit dodgy, kind of like Dalziel and Pascoe makes Yorkshire look Very Happy

trento sounds interesting! any decent size resorts in 30 minute drive? and any idea how long season lasts?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@yoyowoo, its just over 30 minutes to Monte Bondone which is small but may do you for short stints, or just over 40 minutes to Andalo which is a bit bigger and really lovely. We did a pre-Christmas short break to Trento a few years ago and it was great even with limited ski area opening. A bit further afield are Madonna (1hr 30) and Folgaria, another smaller area at 45 mins away.

Usual opening would be mid December to beginning of April I think - all depending on snow, and who can predict that!!

ETA - distances by car, not sure about the train! We took the bus to Monte Bondone and Andalo which was very easy. Very Happy
ski holidays
If you go to Trento, @yoyowoo, you'll have to master the famous Italian tongue-twister Trentatré Trentini entrarono a Trento, tutti e trentatré, trotterellando.
snow report
@yoyowoo, A website you might find useful is this, you can see where there are ski lifts over a wide area then zoom in.
latest report
Bolzano being a bit further up the valley is better for access to multiple high mileage resorts but is also a bit further from the non ski activities (civilisation is 30 mins further by train). From Bolzano Alpi di Suis 25 mins, Val Gardena 45 mins (for Sella Ronda area), Canazei just over an hour. So if you were looking for somewhere for e.g. frequent half a day skiing that would probably be your best bet. You'd get the Dolomiti superski season pass and probably spend most time in those resorts.

Trento has some smaller resorts nearby but the high mileage resorts are that bit further. So if you were looking for an occasional half a day but mainly day trips you might prefer that.

IIRC Someone on here did a season in one of the smaller towns near Bolzano (Castelrotto maybe?) so might be able to add more info.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone! Does Trento area have any ski pass that cover multiple resorts, like the superski card, or snow card tirol?
ski holidays
yoyowoo wrote:
Thanks everyone! Does Trento area have any ski pass that cover multiple resorts, like the superski card, or snow card tirol?

unfortunately there are two, each giving 5 days in the other over a season

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/home

or

https://www.ski.it/en/seasonal-superskirama-ski-pass

edit top one is basically East side of the road which runs through Trento and Bolzano, bottom one does west
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy