Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva or Alba??

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve found a hotel in both these resorts that are within my budget but would like some advice on which would be better, having never been to this area before I would like to discover as much of it as possible, Alba is a couple hundred cheaper but wouldn’t mind paying more if selva is the better base. Thanks in advance for any advice
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Selva is a much bigger village with more amenities. Alba is a small collection of hotels and houses. Alba is takes much longer to get on the 'circuit'

Google maps is your friend
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alba now has a direct connection to the 'circuit' via the Alba - Col di Rossi cable car. As Gaz_H has said, Alba is just a small hamlet, but there is a regular valley bus service to get you to Canazei, a much larger village
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
presumably you mean Alba di Canazei ? if so it's on the SR but a short drive/bus to Canazei if you wanted some life or shops, depending on location you could walk it . The ski buses along that valley are good though. We stayed just outside Canazei on our first trip to that area and had a great holiday.

Check how far your hotel is from the two Alba lifts as there is handy point where the lifts are right next to each other one going up each side of the valley. (note one is fairly newish so isn't on google maps or older piste maps so use this https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/dam/jcr:ec0bf2cd-4323-4211-b339-b2863f94ff3f/05%20Val%20di%20Fassa%20-%20Carezza%202022.pdf) The Col dei Rossi lift takes you straight up to the Belvedere area where you are right on the SR and only two runs and one additional lift to Arabba.

Alba di Canazei - pro's - on SR, easy to get to Arraba (steeper pistes if that's your thing) and the Marmolada, cons it's a little out of the way for nightlife which is why it's cheaper.

Selva is a nice little town with some nightlife, shops etc, it's in a fantastic position with skiing in every direction and opens up a much wider array of ski areas for day trips, I also think that area is prettier than Val di fassa. IMHO the only con is the extra cost.

BUT it's only about 1hr 30 mins skiing from the top of the Col dei Rossi lift so it's not a million miles away and after all you're going there to ski and will only scratch the surface in a week. e.g. any intermediate can ski the SR and take a detour from Selva over to Ortisei via the funicular in a day (a must do in my opinion)

Personally I prefer somewhere in a small town so if money wasn't a factor I'd go for Selva but I'd be happy to spend a week in Alba as long as I was walking distance to Canazei for an evening aperitivo !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Too see just how close the two lift stations are click the link ! (google streetview) https://tinyurl.com/364cymbt
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alba is a quiet village, but now has a great connection directly onto the Sella Ronda with the Col dei Rossi lift. It also has its own less busy ski area on the other side of the valley accessed using the Ciampac cablecar. Canazei is long walk/short bus ride away and has a lot more going on in the evening.

Selva is a bigger livelier resort with direct access to the Sella Ronda and you can ski to other areas in Val Gardena.

But you can pretty much access the same whole 500km Sella Ronda linked ski area from either resort.

All things being equal, if it was £200pp cheaper I'd be tempted to go for Alba, unless you need nightlife every night.

Another factor would be the exact location of each accommodation in relation to the lifts, if you hate a long walk in ski boots.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
albob wrote:
Too see just how close the two lift stations are click the link ! (google streetview) https://tinyurl.com/364cymbt

Yeah, the two lifts (Col dei Rossi & Ciampac) at Alba are side-by-side!! snowHead

But some of the accommodation can be halfway back to Canazei! Confused

And Selva has acommodation strung out over a large area too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually Google Maps is the enemy here as the Alba-Col dei Rossi cable car linking Alba into the Belvedere sector on the Sella Ronda is not actually shown ...(although the building is marked)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Funivia+Alba+-+Col+dei+Rossi/@46.457478,11.7880654,255m/data=

It is a lift up and down (no piste to ski down)

If your hotel is anywhere near here - you have a lift directly into the SR one way and a lift (Alba Ciampac) - heading the other way towards Pozza di Fassa and Vigo di Fassa which is a pleasant little area all on its own.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the really great advice, the hotel in Alba is the cesa rotic and says 10 minutes from col di rossi lift and the selva hotel is posta cervo and is 8 minutes from ciampioni. I’m not too bothered about nightlife, just a good convenient base to ski as much of these dolomites as possible
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Belvedere sector is underrated, I think. You could easily spend a fun half-day there, although not great in flat light. There is one caveat about Alba/Belvedere, which is that if you are trying to get to the Rodella/Plan Gralba area, the cable car can have horrendously frustrating lines during holidays, with the Frataces cable car (that gets you back to Belvedere) only slightly less so. That said, you would only have to take them once a day, unless you are a masochist.

Ultimately, I'd go for Selva. Much easier access to the SR, and you have 5 sub-areas to choose from (Ciampinoi; Dantercepies == > Corvara/Colfosco etc; Seceda cable car and funicular; Plan Gralba/Rodella; and Alpe di Suisi).

The above are all skiing considerations. One thing about Selva is that it has everything you need as far as groceries/shopping/restaurants/ski hire/ski school in a very compact area.

Edit to add: But as others have said, if affordability is an issue, you can manage the skiing with a little forward planning, i.e. avoid the Rodella cable car just after lunch...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^^Sorry, was thinking of the Pradel-Rodella lift, which is a bubble, not cable car.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Pasigal, do you mean the Col Rodella cablecar from Campitello? Or the Pradel gondola on the Sella Ronda?

EDIT: Crossed posts
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rizzotherock wrote:
Thanks all for the really great advice, the hotel in Alba is the cesa rotic and says 10 minutes from col di rossi lift and the selva hotel is posta cervo and is 8 minutes from ciampioni. I’m not too bothered about nightlife, just a good convenient base to ski as much of these dolomites as possible

I wouldn't want to walk from either of those to the lifts. There is a bus stop just up the road from both of them though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like Alba ...it is much more built up than it used to be and the ski bus is great ...There are some nice runs over to Possa and the Ciampac back down is a really good run ..not that bad for a black ..if you go up the other side to Belvedere you easily join the SR
I normaly stay in Campitello but usually start my day in Alba its easier than going up the Col Rodella...I find Selva a bit to busy ..but great runs ..I dont think you can go wrong in either
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks once again for the terrific advice, I’ve booked Selva up, now to start planning some itineraries, can’t wait.
latest report
luigi wrote:
rizzotherock wrote:

I wouldn't want to walk from either of those to the lifts. There is a bus stop just up the road from both of them though.

I have stayed at the Posta al Cervo a couple of times, was there in March this year after a 2 year enforced break! Anyway, its not a nice walk in ski boots to the Ciampanoi bubble of the Costabella chair. The hotel gave us bus passes when we checked in, the bus stop is outside the Hotel Oswald next door. However we had already opted to use the nice ski deposit by the Ciampanoi bubble and walked down and back from there is normal footwear each day.

Slightly off topic but we really like the Posta. Its is family run, lovely clean rooms with fresh towels every day. Food is great and the staff are very friendly and helpful.
latest report
Yes I see the Posta has a lot of positive reviews on trip advisor, how much does it cost to leave skis at the gondola station? I don’t mind a ten minute walk but preferably without ski boots on.
ski holidays
rizzotherock wrote:
Yes I see the Posta has a lot of positive reviews on trip advisor, how much does it cost to leave skis at the gondola station? I don’t mind a ten minute walk but preferably without ski boots on.

We had a locker for 2 which I think was about 5 euros a day, but my Son paid so I can’t be sure of the exact price.
latest report
Ok thanks, doesn’t sound too expensive then, nothing worse than a long walk in ski boots tho might see how reliable and convenient using the bus would be.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy