Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2022/2023 (Dec 2 - April 23)

Poster: A snowHead
davidthornton wrote:

A tip - If you do travel the train, make sure that you gather all your kit to the exit door as the train enters the Arlberg tunnel shortly after passing through Langen station, about 10 mins before St. Anton. This is because there will be a stampede for the door when the train pulls into St Anton. Friends have missed getting off and had to train back from Innsbruck.

Sorry but this is nonsense. A train will not start riding as long as there are people exiting. And especially not in a resort like St.Anton, where virtually every traveler has a lot of baggage. It's not a metro/underground.
Sounds like fake-drama by people not used to trains. Or were they simply not paying attention, sleeping maybe, and afraid to admit it? And in any case they would not have to go as far as Innsbruck. Train stops at Landeck. Unlikely story!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-11-22 23:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidthornton wrote:

This 'Railjet' service doesn't normally stop at Langen, which, as posted above is the station for Lech.

No, this is wrong info too. Yes, it just to be like that in the past, when all/most trains stopped at both Langen ánd St.Anton.
But wisely OBB stopped that.Trains now stop at St.Anton OR Langen. And for many years already. Going to Lech from St.Anton by bus or taxi is only slightly longer than Langen.
Just looking for trains that stop in Langen is very restrictive, marginalizing your options.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Langerzug, sorry, you are wrong. When was the last time you went to Lech? There is no direct train from Zürich to Langen in the morning:

https://fahrplan.oebb.at/webapp/?context=TP&SID=A%3D1%40O%3DZurich%20Main%20Station%40X%3D8540211%40Y%3D47378177%40U%3D181%40L%3D8503000%40B%3D1%40p%3D1669369249%40&ZID=A%3D1%40O%3DLangen%20am%20Arlberg%20Bahnhof%40X%3D10118851%40Y%3D47132142%40U%3D181%40L%3D1280101%40B%3D1%40p%3D1669369249%40&date=10.01.2023&time=07:37:00&timeSel=1&returnTimeSel=1&journeyProducts=7167&start=1&#!P|TP!histId|0!histKey|H482649

With respect to getting off the train: yes, the train will not depart while people are in the doorways, trying to get off, but if you are still inside, faffing around, gathering your belongings, then then taking an unintended ride past StA is entirely possible.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ulmerhutte, you might wanna re-read what I said
I’m exactly saying that: St.Anton is a fine station for Lech
(And my last time in Lech was in march ‘22, by car.
My last time by train, via St.Anton, was three years ago)
And if your interested, in the past I’ve been travelling by coach from Amsterdam to St.Anton
Very often also by air, both via Zürich, and Innsbruck. Onwards by train, but also private transfer.
By road I drove endless times via Stuben, but also via Bregenz-Warth, and Reutte-Warth. But that was in summer of course
I came to the Arlberg from Como several times. Both via St.Moritz, and Liechtenstein.
And also via the Brennerpass, again driving home from Italy
And You? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Langerzug wrote:
@ulmerhutte, you might wanna re-read what I said
I’m exactly saying that: St.Anton is a fine station for Lech
(And my last time in Lech was in march ‘22, by car.
My last time by train, via St.Anton, was three years ago)

Quote:
But wisely OBB stopped that.Trains now stop at St.Anton OR Langen. And for many years already.

I have reread your posts and you are still wrong. Link me to a direct train from Zürich that stops at Langen, but not St Anton.

ÖBB tried that alternate Langen / St Anton idea many, many years ago, but it was canned a long time ago, ie much earlier than 3 years ago. EDIT: found a photo of us waiting at Langen to change trains - that was in 2011. We only had to do it that one time.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 29-11-22 23:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ulmerhutte, you need to read my posts in reaction to the other posts.
all I’m saying is that Langen IS NOT the only station for Lech, which others are suggesting
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/ohDB5gbtaEQ

That's without Stanton suggesting brits are going to be banned because of a Diptheria outbreak.

Most of the Railjet trains that start / finish in Zürich stop in St Anton not Langen and the ones that start / finish in Bregenz stop in Langen not St Anton. There are a few that stop in both places, generally early morning or evenings. It is perfectly possible to get a bus or taxi from St Anton to Lech (assuming the Arlberg pass is not closed, its rare). Not really practical to get a bus from Langen to St Anton (would involve changing in Zürs) and unlike St Anton it is a bit remote, unlikely to be taxis waiting outside the station unless prebooked.

If you really want the details they can be found at https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/de/service/fahrplaene
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Speaking of timetables, the schibus timetables have been posted.

Happy to see the Linie 4 has gone back to stopping at N’Bahn. On the days when we chose to take the bus, rather than skating across to N’Bahn, we had the opportunity to check out the extent of the crowd on that lift, and make the decision on whether to get off there or go around to West Terminal. The view of the lift load platform from inside the bus at Ost Terminal was limited.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
@skimastaaah, Train station in Lech? wink

Bus to Bludenz, train to Bregenz, train direct to Zurich Airport. 17 Euros per person. Takes slightly longer than the RailJet which has a stop at Zurich HB.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
munich_irish wrote:
@davidthornton, I would say "book" & "reserve" mean the same thing in this context but we can always find something to argue about on this thread Madeye-Smiley

Sorry, not being pedantic. There are two separate transactions available on the OBB system; one is 'booking' the ticket in order to travel and then there is a separate optional transaction to 'reserve' a specific seat, though not necessary to reserve in order to travel I would recommend it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Langerzug wrote:
davidthornton wrote:

A tip - If you do travel the train, make sure that you gather all your kit to the exit door as the train enters the Arlberg tunnel shortly after passing through Langen station, about 10 mins before St. Anton. This is because there will be a stampede for the door when the train pulls into St Anton. Friends have missed getting off and had to train back from Innsbruck.

Sorry but this is nonsense. A train will not start riding as long as there are people exiting. And especially not in a resort like St.Anton, where virtually every traveler has a lot of baggage. It's not a metro/underground.
Sounds like fake-drama by people not used to trains. Or were they simply not paying attention, sleeping maybe, and afraid to admit it? And in any case they would not have to go as far as Innsbruck. Train stops at Landeck. Unlikely story!

It's not nonsense because I witnessed it from the platform, the pax concerned were trapped in the centre of the coach by pax boarding. The trains have tight schedules.
Every post I make on this forum is fact.
Posts like Langerzug's are totally unnecessary, add nothing to useful genuine advice provided on the forum. It detracts from the authenticity and reliability of the forum.
ADMIN need to secure the forum from posts such as Langerzugs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Langerzug wrote:
davidthornton wrote:

This 'Railjet' service doesn't normally stop at Langen, which, as posted above is the station for Lech.

No, this is wrong info too. Yes, it just to be like that in the past, when all/most trains stopped at both Langen ánd St.Anton.
But wisely OBB stopped that.Trains now stop at St.Anton OR Langen. And for many years already. Going to Lech from St.Anton by bus or taxi is only slightly longer than Langen.
Just looking for trains that stop in Langen is very restrictive, marginalizing your options.

My info IS correct. The St. Anton 'Railjet' does not normally stop at Langen. It use to years ago.
Time for ADMIN to get a grip of langerzug's posts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish,
munich_irish wrote:
@Chick, The trains to St Anton run every 2 hours (the trains to Langen, for Lech/Zürs/Stuben, dont run from Zürich so you have to change) so

Here your are pointing at the need to change trains for Lech. This is no good info, which I pointed out by saying that it is much better to get out at St.Anton, and take bus or taxi to Lech.

@davidthornton,
davidthornton wrote:
@munich_irish

Here you are repeating that same wrong info from @munich_irish about the right station for Lech

And again, about the train waiting or not: When a train comes into a station, first all the people that are leaving the train go out. After that, the people boarding the train go in. When it is, as in your example, very busy, both movements take quite some time. People that in this scenario still manage to miss exiting on time, have, as I wrote "not been paying attention, or were sleeping". Or as @ulmerhütte wrote : 'were faffing'
Nowadays, already before entering the Arlbergtunnel it is announced that the next station is Sankt Anton am Arlberg (quite a long, very well known name, hard to miss), both via the screens above the aisle, and via the sound system. In two languages. And -surprise- yes, one of these languages is English. The tunnel is 10 km long!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting auto translation on Facebook!

2022/23 ski season starts friday the 2nd December 2022 expected with the following tracks and lifts:
▪️ St. Anthony / St. Christoph:
Galzigbahn and St. Christophbahn as feeder, easthang railway, dancefloor railway;
▪️ Living room:
Valfagehrbahn, exercise lift Rauz;
▪️ Lech/Obsence:
Mountain railway Oberlech as a feeder, Petersbodenbahn, exercise lift Oberlech, Children's Land Oberlech;
▪️ Be Nice please!:
Seapull railway, hexenboden railway and exercise slope;
▪️ Warth dreads and sun head:
Season start expected on 08/12/2022.
Up to the 9th December 2022 snow crystal tariff will be applied.
Due to the current situation, the severe weather situation and taking into account the current forecasts, it must be pointed out that the above information is a snapshot and can change.
The ski-pass offices are open during the winter opening hours for the tracks that are in operation.
Latest information on this or generally from the ski resort can be found at www.arlbergerbergbahnen.com and www.skiarlberg.at

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug, you do seem to be wanting to play a character in the Monty Python video above. No one is saying you have to change trains for Lech (there isnt even a train station there!). There are regular buses from both Langen & St Anton to Lech. Taxis to Lech, probably easier from St Anton though possible to get prebooked from Langen. In general the direct trains from Zurich only stop at St Anton. Not sure what the need for an argument is when we are agreeing?
snow report
well...i wanted to do a weekend in Lech or Warth (09 till 11). But i dont think is a good idea
Maybe better Ischgl...
snow conditions
@Kitenski - haha i screenshotted that too -google translate must be drunk again.

@Stanton - my earlier story when everyone was discussing Turli/Schongraben had nothing to do with Jakobsweg, so i will thank you to please not to speak for me as I think I know my way round after - well I am not going to say how many seasons I have done there but it is a lot.

So a couple of did you knows or funny stories whilst speaking of the railway to lighten the mood and enlighten to some Arlberg history.

- There is a super letter in the downhill only club magazine - dated March 1930 - A Flt Lieut Waghorn with his friend Charles Mckintosh flew to Innsbruck in a Tiger Moth open cockpit biplane for the 1930 Arlberg Kandahar race (mid March - downhill / slalom combined), run on the course of the current Kandahar from Galzig to Moos or town if allowing. They hopped on the train from Innsbruck to Anton, but were so embroiled in their conversation they forgot to get out at Anton, so they hopped out when the train stopped at Langen, realised that there was no train back for many many hours and so decided to hike back through the tunnel. Mr Mckintosh placed 5th in the downhill and 13th in the combined, love this story - we'll just walk back through the tunnel in the dark.

- in the 1920s there was a feasibility study to build an aerial tramway from Langen to Stuben and then from Stuben to Zurs in order to avoid the Flexen pass which back then was not what it is now, there were not really even any cars and guests were transported by horse and sled when it was open. (Early archives of Tiroler Zeitung). They could not raise the money locally and it was decided by the government that it was too expensive to invest in.
ski holidays
Going to be Warm next week to warm for Kunstschnee (artificial) ..From Saturday 10 we should see a change on the cooler side....

OK Folks the Lift Company has anouunced the following Lifts will be open from December 2nd

AKTUELLE INFOS AUS DEM SKIGEBIET

Die Ski-Saison 2022/23 startet am, Freitag, 2. Dezember 2022 voraussichtlich mit folgenden

Bahnen und Liften:

St. Anton/St. Christoph:

Galzigbahn und St. Christophbahn als Zubringer, Osthangbahn, Tanzbödenbahn;

Stuben:

Valfagehrbahn, Übungslift Rauz;

Lech/Oberlech:

Bergbahn Oberlech als Zubringer, Petersbodenbahn, Übungslift Oberlech, Kinderland
Oberlech;

Zürs:

Seekopfbahn, Hexenbodenbahn und Übungshangbahn;

Warth-Schröcken und Sonnenkopf:

Saisonstart voraussichtlich am 08.12.2022

Bis zum 9. Dezember 2022 wird der Schneekristall-Tarif zur Anwendung gebracht.

__________________________________________________________________________________________-

Re Train Zürich Airport to St. Anton am Arlberg

Many people make the mistake of Booking the Train from Zürich HB to St.Anton am Arlberg .

This means you have to Purchase a seperate Ticket from the Airport to Zürich HB

I have seen many People not purchase a ticket for this short section ... Ticket inspection is HOT HOT HOT with 150Chf on the spot Fines and NO Mercy !!

So ALWAYS BOOK the complete journey Very Happy Very Happy

Zürich Airport to St. Anton am Arlberg
snow report
Good advice about booking the full journey, ie Flughafen to StA Bahnhof. We always do that, but I have never seen an inspector on the train to Zürich. That however does not mean they don’t check that section.
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
Good advice about booking the full journey, ie Flughafen to StA Bahnhof. We always do that, but I have never seen an inspector on the train to Zürich. That however does not mean they don’t check that section.

On the many trips that I've done I've never seen an inspector on the trains between the airport and Zurich, it's only a short journey.
But Stanton is right they are hot on checking tickets elsewhere. Particularly if you have bought a cheaper non-flexi ticket and are not on the service you should be on. A couple of times I've caught an earlier or later Railjet than my ticket was valid for only to be challenged by an inspector. I blamed Swiss Air for the discrepancy in travel times, which was true. Got let off, but it was close. On another occasion, on arrival at Zrh Hbf, I completely changed my train plans, rather than wait for a Railjet, again because of flight delays, I chose to train up to St. Gallen, change for Feldkirch I think, and change again for St. A. The inspector explained that tickets are priced according to routing, even if the destination is unchanged. More kms the higher the price.
So sticking to the booked times and route is advisable.
snow report
They definitely do check the tickets on the section between ZRH airport and Hauptbahnhof, been checked on more than one occasion.
snow report
The extra few francs is peanuts anyway so not worth the risk. I've been checked in the past, admittedly not every time. I actually agree with St Anton on something this time. Ha ha.
snow report
well...i think i will ski the Weekend in Arlberg and choose something with besser hand made snow system.
Probably Ischgl or SFL.

I think that for the first weeks of December Arlberg is not the best option...at least so looks after the last few years
snow report
Hey Folks

SEASON Kicked Off this morning & it is quite nice up on Galzig !

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Quite a Train discussion ..

I was merely pointing out that if someone has not made this journey (Zürich Airport to St.Anton am Arlberg) before it is an EASY mistake when booking online i.e Just selecting Zurich Hbf as your starting point...

I used to work in the summers up near the Airport probably made the trip over 300 times so I have seen quite a few people caught out !!

One thing to bare in mind apart from the high Fine and Cost of the ticket is that your details are stored for 2 years..

https://www.sbb.ch/en/help-and-contact/my-travelcards/travel-without-valid-ticket.html

________________________________________________________________________________________

Weather

snow report
Should anyone like a little 15 minute ski movie of skiers hiking up to ski and flip over powder down and share their snowilogical wisdom the st anton am arlberg channel has just put a nice little film on you tube called Arlberg Effekt.

http://youtube.com/v/dDC3O27ua7c
latest report
ulmerhutte wrote:
I had never paid for the journey from the airport to HBF until I was fined 30 Euros. I learnt my lesson the hard way.
latest report
I wonder if anybody can help. Are bars and restaurants, lift companies etc still accepting cash, or is it card these days?. I usually just take cash to St Anton on account of card fees when using abroad.
snow conditions
@xscreamer, Bars/ restaurants take cash, not sure about lift stations - I never have that much cash, we use cards everywhere these days. Ther are cards which can be used with no fees.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xscreamer wrote:
I wonder if anybody can help. Are bars and restaurants, lift companies etc still accepting cash, or is it card these days?. I usually just take cash to St Anton on account of card fees when using abroad.

Austria is still very much a cash-using country. There are still plenty of places that don't accept cards, but I've not seen one that doesn't accept cash.
latest report
Last winter, in the throes of covid-mania, I expected to see places declining cash but I cannot say I noticed any - unlike here in Melbourne, where quite a few businesses went cashless. Conversely, I cannot think of anywhere we went in the Arlberg that did not take cards.

There are cards that don’t have FX commission fees. I have one such Mastercard from an Australian issuer.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
xscreamer wrote:

Austria is still very much a cash-using country. There are still plenty of places that don't accept cards, but I've not seen one that doesn't accept cash.
Geiz ist geil! Völlig wurst welche Form das Geld nimmt!
snow report
Cash is King !!

The First Words you should use is "Keep the Change" Very Happy Very Happy

Lift Company Accept Cash

If you buy Hourly Tickets from the Lift Station Kiosks and Pay by Credit/Debit you will be refunded (hours not used)in CASH.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Finally the Report released of the Plane Crash into VallugaBahn Cables (spanning Steißbachtal) back in 2016

Very Critical of Pilot experience but also the The safety recommendations are also about marking the Cables better. Apparently, the Cable was not marked according to international standards.

NO time to translate

https://www.bmk.gv.at/dam/jcr:27ed600b-623a-4dc7-b3c2-6db3dc89d743/85241_untersuchungsbericht.pdf

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Moose Open
KK Opens this Friday 9 Dec

Dont forget to Tip Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Stress in Lech: Engine Schlosskopfbahn is defect, urgent search for a replacement (for a lift originating in the '50-ies, and renovated in 1998).... Shocked
(background: ages of struggle with landowners for replacing this lift; and recent very concrete plans for replacement. Also very much related: plans for a new Grubenalpbahn)
snow report
Since you guys seem to know the trainroute from Zürich to St Anton very well i have a few questions.

If i book a standard ticket, that gives me the right to hop onto any IR and RJX train that day ?

What if i reserve a seat but miss that train? Is my ticket invalid then?

Is 1 hour and 15 minutes enough for me to get my bags and hop on the first train at the airport?
snow report
If you buy the standard ticket, ie not the Sparschiene, you can jump on any train that goes by the same routing, on that day and the next.

If you reserve a seat and don’t use it, you lose the reservation, but not the ticket to travel. Two different things.

75 mins should be enough for, I assume you are asking, landing, getting to the HB, and then the train to StA. It will be tight, but ZRH is pretty efficient in unloading luggage. I have managed that connection with less.
snow report
Thanks for your help. Taking the train seems like the best option Very Happy is there generally a need for reserving seats? Traveling from 14/1-21/1
ski holidays
@Kimpadoo, there is a discussion about this above, if you use the OEBB (Austrian railways) app you can reserve a seat for a couple of Euros, no requirement to book a ticket at the same time. The trains are generally busy so best either reserve a seat or book first class. It is possible to sort the seat at quite late. So if you book your ticket & seat at the same time and then your flight is delayed easy to reserve seat on next train.
snow report
@Kimpadoo, for what it costs it is best to reserve a seat, though not on the airport to Zurich main station sector, it's just a few minutes of travel. But do buy a ticket for the full journey.
Yes, you would normally have time enough to get bags and go down to the station level. From carousel to platform I reckon is no more than 15 mins. Just check before descending the escalator to the station platforms for the correct platform, there is a digital display at the top of the escalator. Various trains and shuttles run through the airport station, most go to or through Zurich main station, but not all.
Also, usefully, you can use airport trollies on the terminal escalators. A bit unnerving at first, but it does save time and effort.
latest report
@Kimpadoo, as I mentioned previously, on the OBB booking system there is the option to reserve and choose seat location, there is a coach plan for the Railjet.
I recommend for the journey views to sit on the left side of the coach, the plan indicates the direction of travel, so choose seats on left of direction of travel. Lake views and mountain scenes.
ski holidays
smiles - at easter i got to zurich airport, went to the train booking office, bought the best price OBB train ticket to st anton 2 pax. £37 each for RailJet. Utter bargain. Just check your timings!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy