Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to buy Skis in a sale?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know the skis I'd like to be buying (Head Super-Joy) but where is it "safe" to buy?
Obviously I could walk into Snow&Rock/EllisBrigham/Decathlon and buy a pair (assuming they even had them in stock)
or alternatively I could go to the Head website and buy a pair.

.. but google gives me all sorts of options for websites that are offering Good Deals in their sales.
now obviously a website selling a £600 pair of skis for <£100 is going to be dodgy... but does anyone have a suggestion for a reputable website that would be selling end-of-season (or even 1-2 seasons ago) stock?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jamescollings, I purchased skis from Glisshop and they were fine. I have heard of people having issues with them if they have issues with what they receive (if that makes sense)

I have also purchased 2 sets now of ex-demo skis after Oktobertest. One from K2 for my daughter and one from @Spyderjon
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We recently came across one very dodgy website, with Rossignol in its name, that seemed to be a clone of the official website, but absolutely was nothing officially to do with them, offering skis at that sort of cut-price rate. The old adage come into play "if it seems to good to be true, then it probably is..." .

Anyway, that apart, we've used a few web dealers for skis and boots over the years, most recently Glissshop, Conrad before that, with good results. I'd certainly suggest that's a good way to go, but if you have any concerns just post a link here and see if anyone's had any first-hand experience.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have used Glisshop and Ekosport in the recent past. No problems at all.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jamescollings, I have used both Ekosport and Absolute Snow for mail order, both with no problems at all.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another for Glisshop and also Sport Pursuit if they have a ski sale on
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have bought from privatesportshop, just be careful though as if you ask them to "mount" your bindings when in fact this only entails sliding them onto premounted rails (as most skis are) then they consider this tailoring that makes them non-returnable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting to hear that Ekosport are reputable... because they are on the shortlist.

Great feedback everyone... and super-quick too!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

just be careful though as if you ask them to "mount" your bindings when in fact this only entails sliding them onto premounted rails (as most skis are)

I didn't know this. Whenever I have bought skis they have come either with a template to drill holes to mount the bindings or pre drilled holes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
Quote:

just be careful though as if you ask them to "mount" your bindings when in fact this only entails sliding them onto premounted rails (as most skis are)

I didn't know this. Whenever I have bought skis they have come either with a template to drill holes to mount the bindings or pre drilled holes.

Most of the run of the mill recreational skis that have the rail system to fit most boot sizes, maybe not the skis you buy which have more fixed postions?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just bought some Dynastar Speed Zone 8 from Snowleader with 50% and they were very good (although I didnt get my free opinel knife in the box, they put some credit onto my account instead). What you do have to watch out for is customs and Vat. The skis I bought were listed at £219 but when I paid for them they went down to £183. But had to paid VAT and customs charge to get them delivered. I think overall I paid the website list price plus the customs charge so was pretty happy all in all and cant wait to use them.
My wife bought some from Ekosport but paid full list price and the UK VAT and Customs. A bit slower than Snowleader but still decent and both were well packaged.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ekosport say that, if you get charged the UK VAT/Customs then you need to tell them and they'll repay their local VAT charge back onto your Credit Card.... whether they actually will is another matter.. I'll let you all know Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh Thanks for that, Ill let my wife know and see what happens
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jamescollings wrote:
. whether they actually will is another matter.. I'll let you all know Smile

As promised... I'm letting you all know!!!
The reason for the delay is that it took 3-4 weeks for the skis to travel and clear customs, plus another few weeks to get my credit card statement to prove the payment/refunds.

The French VAT at 20% came to £64.17

The UK Import VAT at 20% (which by then included shipping) came to £69.64 plus a further £12 clearance fee meant that I had to pay ParcelForce £81.64 to get my skis out of customs and into my sweaty mitts.
However Ekosport were as good as their word, and once I'd emailed them the Customs sticky label from the front of the box, plus ParcelForce's letter of charges, they refunded the £64.17.

So basically.. Buying from EkoSport meant that the skis cost £17.47 more than the website price... which was still a bargain!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy