Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

prices 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
It seems, by virtue of the likes of booking.com and others, that the costs for next season are on the up.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@esaw1, shhhh you’ll have Stanton in here saying I told you so
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Boris, Yeah but. Don't mention parity!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@esaw1, not sure that booking.com is anyway a good resource and nor that there's any reasonable pricing consensus this early anyway ...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think that many operators have tried to keep prices low or even reduce them through the pandemic period, and are now trying to get them back to a more normal level.

Difficult to benchmark from one place to another, but I think we may also see a demographic shift of what sort of people are going to what sort of resort, based on what they've found over the last two years; for example the sheer number of skiers that were coming here to Morgins last season (20-21) as the closest skiing to France and the UK will have resulted in a renewed appreciations of the ski area (we hope so, at least) which may then have a knock-on effect of popularity and ultimately pricing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In 2020, just before the pandemic we went to Italy, half board for £500pp (not a late/early deal, it was the standard brochure price).
Looking at 2023, the same tour operator, departure airport, hotel and same week, it is £800pp.

OK, it is only a single example, but that price increase is way more than inflation.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we were looking for chalets/apartments on air b n b and each one we tried to book, said they hadn't got their 2022/23 pricing up yet, then got back to us with a 25% or above price increase on what was listed for 21/22.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tele, it would not surprise me if the flights were not a significant element of that increase.

I don’t know (but that’s not a huge sample) of anyone doing s/c in Chamonix that are planning on any significant increases.

Mind you,I might change my mind if I got an enquiry now for 1/2 term Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perhaps, but at the same time I would read too much into what prices are booking nearly a year in advance. It seems like many in the travel industry now like to put on a premium on booking very early. I guess there assumption is anyone willing to book that far out is pretty desperate for a particular accomodation over a particular time frame. That will the suggestion that everywhere is getting full "only X beds/rooms left" leads to people paying over the odds.

Case in point I'm currently looking at flights to Nepal for autumn. A few months ago there was nothing under £1000 return. Now it's already down to £600-700. I suspect by the time I book I will be getting something around £500 which is what I was paying pre pandemic.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
after a solo trip last Christmas, i have booked an apartment in les menuires for next Christmas (through VRBO), although it is not in the same apartment block, it is in the same location and is larger than the last one and works out slightly cheaper than last year.

i have also booked a large apartment in VT for next Easter, and again it was at a comparable price to the apartment in les menuires that was cancelled this February, obviously i cannot make direct comparisons between the two, but whilst searching these properties i have not noticed any major increase in costs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've taken a school trip most years for the last 15 (obviously not since 2019...) and the prices we've paid for La Plagne in December are around £100 more than they we paid for a similar trip in 2019-an increase of 8-9%, which seems pretty good under the circumstances! Over the last ten years, the cost has crept up from around £950-1000 to £1250-1300; always to large French resorts with the likes of Skibound or Equity. Overall, pretty good value.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boarder2020 wrote:
Perhaps, but at the same time I would read too much into what prices are booking nearly a year in advance. It seems like many in the travel industry now like to put on a premium on booking very early. I guess there assumption is anyone willing to book that far out is pretty desperate for a particular accomodation over a particular time frame. That will the suggestion that everywhere is getting full "only X beds/rooms left" leads to people paying over the odds.

Case in point I'm currently looking at flights to Nepal for autumn. A few months ago there was nothing under £1000 return. Now it's already down to £600-700. I suspect by the time I book I will be getting something around £500 which is what I was paying pre pandemic.

Absolutely, there's an optimum time for booking when it comes to travel if you're price sensitive. It's very rarely best to book far (a year) in advance, an exception being if you need to book using airline points such as Avios.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@esaw1, …and how. There are objective pressures from the Ukraine conflict, resonance from Pandemic, Brexit, Chinese retrenchment - all leading to commodity inflation, supply chain cost increase and more - in fact we have governments struggling to avoid a wage-price spiral. Operators will be going down, so book carefully. If you don’t care overly where you go, and can be flexible on dates, then late sniping usually pays off - and self build using air b&b can really work and get you to some nice and unusual places. As much as i would love to experience the champagne powder of BC and Japan, I’m getting increasingly nervous about carbon footprint, and so love exploring lesser places in Europe - Les Marecottes, Val D’Anniviers, Leysin and so on - such fun and much under-rated. We switched long ago from quantity and distance to quality and vertical.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Car hire prices have certainly gone up at GVA.

Equivalent car for the same week next year is £100 more. So we will be getting the train and making it more of an adventure. It's also £300 cheaper by train.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's difficult to make a comparison with just last year because it was so unusual, on one hand many places carried forward bookings from the year before so had limited capacity to start with on the other some people didn't travel.

However we've been looking and prices are up for us re TO e.g. the hotel we used for a group trip last year was ca £750 pp HB but this year is virtually the same price but for only B&B and Eur 400pp more for HB, car hire prices are bonkers (double) BUT the apartment we booked independently last year seems to have reduced in price for 2023. Also quite a few places haven't released their prices yet so it may be that the current prices are just a feeler to see how the market reacts. e.g. the apartment block only released their prices yesterday and a hotel we're looking at still hasn't released theirs.
latest report
Just wondering can we expect a big jump in Lift Pass prices considering how much fuel has increased, I’m sure those piste bashers are expensive to run.
latest report
Same trip booked to Whistler for Feb 23 up by 10% compared to Mar 2019. Still very reasonable but that will go up considerably by Aug/Sep.
snow conditions
Booked with Crystal for March next year to Galtur/Ischgl at the bargain price of £1200 incl lift pass and gold ski hire. Currently on offer at £1100 ex ski hire and lift pass
ski holidays
skitech wrote:
Booked with Crystal for March next year to Galtur/Ischgl at the bargain price of £1200 incl lift pass and gold ski hire. Currently on offer at £1100 ex ski hire and lift pass
Per head or per couple?
latest report
@2waterford, I don't think piste bashers are nearly as much of an energy cost as lifts? I could be wrong.
ski holidays
I think the car hire business is struggling with a double whammy - a more or less non-existent business thru the crisis followed by a shortage of new cars due many factors.
latest report
Car hire prices are currently a major issue, they are currently more costly than my flights
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
Car hire prices are currently a major issue, they are currently more costly than my flights

Did a weeks skiing in St Anton before Easter, car hire was looking like £400 - £450 without any add-ons so I looked at the Railjet from Zurich Airport. Under £150 return for two people, (NOT each). The train only took 30 minutes longer than the drive. I'm now quite happy with Fly/Train even with 2 pairs of skis and a couple of train changes.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:

Yeah tempted by Easyjet to look at a few days in the Dollies this summer, car hire costs looking prohibitive though with the majors quoting £100+ per day for a tiny Cinquecento.
latest report
@skimastaaah, how long was the journey, how often the trains run?. I'm looking at St Anton mid Jan. flights to ZUR are good.
ski holidays
@2waterford, I have advance purchased 7 day Val Cenis/Haute Maurienne passes at 125 euro a pop, absolute bargain. I don't know what they were this year but can't imagine that is much of an increase
ski holidays
Car hire prices in Marseilles this summer got me doing some sums - cheaper to take my own car, on my own, on Eurotunnel and drive down. Break even was about a week and I can sling all the stuff I want in the car.
snow report
@pam w, talking of saving money, did you know you could get a free 3V lift pass now?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Golly, is that so, @Hurtle? That's really not a bad deal at all! Did you get a pass free for the EOSB?
snow report
@pam w,
Quote:

Did you get a pass free for the EOSB?

Put it this way (your question isn't entirely straightforward) I went to the lift office with my passport and got a free 3V pass. I paid the usual nominal amount for Carre Neige. The pass is totally free, even the full season pass. Brilliant, n'est-ce pas?
ski holidays
I think a lot of French resorts have free passes beyond a certain age. Given the number of folks on a free one in Tignes, I have been expecting them to put that age up, its about 20 years since it rose by 5 years.
snow report
@Mother hucker, total train time including changes took just short of 3 hours, and Railjet express train were every 2 hours from Zurich. There are longer journeys by regular trains with changes at Bludenz and Bregenz that take around 3.5 hours at half the Railjet prices. You can book well in advance, but be aware that some trains are non-changeable and non-refundable.
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:
@Mother hucker, total train time including changes took just short of 3 hours, and Railjet express train were every 2 hours from Zurich. There are longer journeys by regular trains with changes at Bludenz and Bregenz that take around 3.5 hours at half the Railjet prices. You can book well in advance, but be aware that some trains are non-changeable and non-refundable.

I believe that you are talking about the ÖBB Sparschiene ticket in your last sentence. They are available for all long distance trains, including Railjet, but not all the time. These tickets, when available, are considerably cheaper than the regular fare. The trade-off is that they cannot be canceled and are for a specific train, on a specific day/time. We use them on the way home, since we are pretty much locked into leaving on a set day because of airlines, etc. Inbound, we get the regular fare, which is valid for 2 days, to minimise the impact of flight and airport delays.

https://www.oebb.at/en/tickets-kundenkarten/oesterreich-europa/sparschiene/

I don’t know about you, but after travelling a long time/way, the last thing I want is multiple train changes. Apart from the faff of hauling luggage on/off trains, you run an increased risk of missed connections. Railjet from Zürich HBf is definitely the most convenient and relaxing way to travel.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
skitech wrote:
Per head or per couple?

per head
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, Railjet was 45 Euros per person one way direct to St Anton. Came back from Stuben/Langen at a cost of 17.5 Euros pp to Zurich Kloten. Utter bargain! And plenty of time between connections. But as you say not refundable nor changeable and for specific trains only. Having said that no-one checked our tickets on the return.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy