Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cars with ski hatches - how many skis?

Poster: A snowHead
We are starting to look at replacement cars for the main car. We are considering a second full electric car with a big battery. One thing we would like is a fold down central seat, but this limits options considerably. If we look at ski hatches that gives a few more.... but how many pairs of skis can you get through? We have 4 sets as there is 4 of us. Girls complain terribly if we have them squashed next to each other to have one seat down in back, which is why we are looking.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With or without bindings removed?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without... though would it be easy to remove? I have never looked at doing so.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, they are easy enough to remove if on rails. Then the flat skis fit can be bundled together taking up much less space and dont splay out, you should easily fit 4 pairs through the meanest of ski hatches.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roof box. More comfortable for everyone
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, i have bought one for my car, but it doesn't have the range needed to do a return trip to Heathrow without charging. However with roof box have to be very careful of heights in carparks. That is the fall back is making sure we can get roof bars attached. I may only need to change the attachments for my cars bars to move it onto the other car.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have moved my roof box and rails 3 times now, only needing new feet. As said above, I would imaging you'd easily get 4 pairs through.

I tried the fold down seat method for 4 adults but found that the skis then took up too much of the boot (big saloon boot) to get the rest of the clobber in, so always stuck with the roof box. However that's on a diesel that easily will do 800 miles driven carefully on an autoroute, so we always got 650+ out of it with a roof box on. I would imaging a roofbox would kill an EV range horribly. I have a Mustang Mach-E on order which doesn't have the ski hatch/fold down, so might not be a goer for skiing, as much as I want to try it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check the length of your longest skis if using a ski hatch, and where they will end up at the front. We have an estate and fold one seat down, but have to load long skis at an angle. In the centre, they would be bothering the driver.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, a ski hatch is basically slightly smaller than the size of the fold down armrest excluding the depth of the armrest which stays down with the skis on top of it. So depending on the size of the car, probably around 12" by 7". Some also have built in ski bags so you can put the skis in naked.

With bindings, two pairs is realistic. Without bindings, four should be ok
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, if the skis are of varying lengths ie 2 adult length, and 2 children length, i've comfortably managed 4 pairs of skis through ski hatches in various hire cars over the years. The problem comes ( as @ster mentions above ), when the skis are all of similar lengths as the bindings need to be roughly in the same area and therefore the hatch then becomes a pinch point, and you then have to slot the skis in at an angle which eats into the back seat passenger seating area, and indeed the boot space !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We can get 4 pairs though the ski hatch of an Audi A3 with bindings on. That’s generally two pairs of piste skis and two pairs of longer fatter offpiste skis. Taking the bindings off, at least double that. If they are on a rail, it’s the work of a couple of minutes to slide them on and off.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. This is very useful input. Lengths of skis are 150, 154, 158 and 170. So conflicting bindings is likely. Though also thinking retracting brakes and rotating skis with bindings on inside, is what I did to get 4 pairs in a double ski bag, may help.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The key words you're looking for are a "40:20:40 split fold rear seat for through-loads". Thats a 'ski hatch' but more useful as you can fold down the centre 20% seat and stick stuff through. We specifically hunted down a car with one as we don't want to do the roof box thing. Boiled down to 2 cars for us, the Golf SV and the BMW 2 tourer series. Went with the Golf. The other one we looked at was the BMW X series which also had them, and they do a full electric version of the X3 now and that will probably have the 40:20:40.

On the trip to the Familybash, we had 3 sets of skis, poles and 4 snowboards in a bag going through the middle of the car, and I've had more before. I use an old snowboard bag for packing them in. Also makes an excellent child barrier to prevent throttling on 7+ hour car journeys

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 20-04-22 9:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The electric Porsche Taycan has a pretty good middle section for plenty of skis...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've had four adults and two full ski bags (2 pairs in each plus other packed items) down the middle of loads of bigger airport hire cars over the years.

We've also fitted them in cars like Golfs and Polos using the same method but taking the skis out of the bags.

Poles go in the boot or under passengers' feet in the back.
snow report
@NickyJ, …endorse the drift of comment here…I originally in the 90s got quite excited by having a Jetta with a ski hatch - it had a small hatch and a zipped bag - looked great - and then found that it was pretty useless because of conflicting bindings…only a couple of pairs of skis and much wrangling. Since then we’ve used roof racks and bagged the skis on the racks for the long haul over.

Have used the richard sideways approach in some cars.

But simple approach is try before you buy….
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, We have this format in our last rental car and easliy did 4 skis with bindings in-situ for 3 of them, but we only had to drive 1 1/2 hr to resort, then the daily 2min trip to and from the bubble.

I think @NickyJ mentions the middle seat fold down option in her first post but discounts this format as too limiting and ends up her girls being squashed (I assume over a much longer journey)
snow conditions
@ster, would rather middle seat fold down, but so few cars on the market.

The arguments are caused if we have a side seat down, as for very slim girls they have spikey elbows!
ski holidays
@NickyJ, ah yes, in fact skis down the middle stopped many an argument in our back seats.

The car with the middle seat down we had was a BMW Gran Tourer 2 series (all others have had ski hatches) , it wasnt a bad drive for a big tub, plenty of space . But was a polluting diesel, no idea if it comes in electric
snow report
@NickyJ, we have the exact same problem! Side seat down is a complete no no unless you want a car journey full of bickering!
snow report
Last time we had it, I let my 15 yr sit in front and I went into the back just for the peace and quiet. Seriously it was perfectly comfortable, so it doest frustrate me that we are having to look at this requirements....
snow conditions
Consider it this way - If you put a roof box on then you are increasing your cost of travel. Both in fuel/MPG, and transport costs (if you're using the eurotunnel) and you can end up falling foul of things like toll-booth height limits and car park heights (happened at Kashmir on FamBash for some). If you can on-board your kit then its protected, and you're just another car on the road.
snow report
@NickyJ, get a 7 seater then everyone has their own row in the back and skis can still be carried inside, either middle or side seat down!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 20-04-22 13:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Don't know your budget but the Tesla Model Y has 331 range and fold down flat middle seat.....
snow report
dunc999 wrote:
Don't know your budget but the Tesla Model Y has 331 range and fold down flat middle seat.....

This! Did my first ski trip in my Model Y via my Mums so got in 3 x 23kg hold bags, 1x normal boot bag, 1 massive heated boot bag, 3x pairs of skis,3 hand luggage rucksacks, week of dog food+bowls, toys, dog beds etc, dog crate, one large dog, 1 19 year old and 2 adults!

The "hidden" area under the boot floor and front boot were very useful!
ski holidays
I wouldn't get 2 full electric cars, if energy prices keep going the way they are petrol might be cheaper. hedge your bets, get a plug in hybrid. that way you have a proper range on petrol model, rather than having to find somewhere in France to charge your car.

Leave the kids at home if they can't sit next to each other without bickering

Volvo V60 has 40:20:40 split rear seats as do many cars I think now.

If you're flying, by the time you take int account additional luggage charge and ski service etc its probably cheaper to hire skis in resort.
snow conditions
@t44tomo, skis get used by us all in UK and abroad, I do all servicing at home and flights like my easter ones are Lufthansa and free ski carriage.
ski holidays
Depending upon motive power, would a hybrid be a consideration?

The VW Touran has one of the most useful cabin arrangements for this type of luggage adaption. The three rear seats can all be positioned independently, also completely removable with just two catches very simply, and gives many configurations to help.

With rear middle seat removed (leave at home) any amount of long items can be placed centre and low on the floor so not interfering with two rear passengers.
Alternatively if it's the seven seater, you can use one rear and one far rear to make it still four seat plus much long stuff. We often configure with only one rear seat for 3 pax plus 3 MTB inside cabin for mtb sortie too. Basically anything you can think of really, including all three rear seats out for complete van capacity if moving things around.
Truly very versatile and maybe worth a look at dealer to guage.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, we had Audi A4 and A3 , no problem the A4 even had an Audi ski bag that clipped into the seatbelt to stop them sliding around, kept it when we moved on to A3. We now have a Volvo XC40 and you would struggle to get two in the hatch is quite small, the best was the BMW were the armrest is the ski hatch, it folds down as if it were a seat.

Not sure about electric cars, all those rare metals and then the battery recycling Very Happy
ski holidays
PS I'd guess at 2 pairs of skis max with bindings not in a bag that would fit thru a ski hatch
latest report
@t44tomo, What year V60 is that? My '19 (and the '69 I had before) had 60/40
snow report
Many many good petrol and diesel options - electric as per OP very much more restrictive. Tesla 3 horrid in the back seats. Model X is just …. H U G E . Iconiq an option…
snow conditions
The Hyundai doesn't have a through load, only a 60/40 split fold seat
ski holidays
Oh … RS … I thought 22 version did have drop down middle section

See

https://www.parkers.co.uk/hyundai/ioniq/review/practicality/
snow conditions
@valais2, we went and took at a look at Hyundai Ioniq 5 which has the range we after,but that definitely was only 60,40. However I haven't seen the ioniq in the flesh which is model you linked to.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
dunc999 wrote:

This! Did my first ski trip in my Model Y via my Mums so got in 3 x 23kg hold bags, 1x normal boot bag, 1 massive heated boot bag, 3x pairs of skis,3 hand luggage rucksacks, week of dog food+bowls, toys, dog beds etc, dog crate, one large dog, 1 19 year old and 2 adults!
The "hidden" area under the boot floor and front boot were very useful!

Excellent news @kitenski - traded in my 3 for a Y coming in May, too late for this season but the extra space and especially the hatchback configuration will make this a treat to travel to the alps with 2 dogs.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Consider it this way - If you put a roof box on then you are increasing your cost of travel. Both in fuel/MPG, and transport costs (if you're using the eurotunnel) and you can end up falling foul of things like toll-booth height limits and car park heights (happened at Kashmir on FamBash for some). If you can on-board your kit then its protected, and you're just another car on the road.

Or consider it another way....
Brake hard = skis through the fancy big screen. Worse still, what happens in a crash with skis in the cabin? Sad

So I think the answer to the question is none.
ski holidays
@stuarth, …I still like the roof box vomiting skis…

http://youtube.com/v/s-THL5wtBxk
ski holidays
Having had a couple of decent crashes off mountain roads (admittedly a lot more sporty than most euro roads) I never ever carry skis or boards inside the vehicle. Way too much chance of accidental decapitation, especially if you keep your edges sharp. Chuck em in a roof box and be careful getting a drive through burger.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Eurotunnel has never charged me more for the roofbox, just put me in the high bay, even though I'm convinced on my 5 series saloon it would go in the double decker
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy