Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Renting for a month in the alps

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone had experience of renting an apartment for a month or so in the alps? What kind of prices? Does price vary from resort to resort and country to country, I'm not that bothered where I go as long as its high altitude and has accessible off piste,
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
January is a good month to rent for a month. Most apartments are let on a weekly basis, or a season long basis. There is not usually much discount for monthly rents. (that I have seen)

Some letting agents have beds within a shared chalet for a season. (contract with the letting agent rather than with those you are sharing with)

Lower level resorts with good access to high level resorts will be cheaper. Bourg St Maurice for example would allow access to several skiing areas within 20-30km Brides les Bains would also be cheaper than Courcheval 1800. There is a better supermarket in places like Bourg St Maurice, with cheaper prices allowing cheaper living.

Also McDonalds.

I have not rented for a month, but I have considered it!

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Once you get past a fortnight there is usually quite a few properties available at reasonable rates (ie not 4 times te weekly) as some owner what to use their property forthe peak weeks and then gain some income from the rest without the hassle of weekly lets.

Feel free to pm me if you need any help!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Huckacliff duckabranch, We have rented out our apartment and studio for longish lets and it has worked out well for both our clients and ourselves, they received a good discount on the weekly price and we had our accommodation full in the normally quiet periods.

As Bigtipper, mentions January is a good time to look to rent something for a month. The crowds have left after the Christmas / New Year holidays and it stays pretty quiet until the start of the main school holidays in early February (at least in our part of France it does).
You are likely to find more avaialbility and cheaper prices at that time of year, mid-March to mid April is usually similar but last season and next season the Easter holidays start early (30th March to 14th April) so that means less availabilty or higher prices with the English owners.
There is a calender somewhere on snowheads showing all the European holiday dates, if you decide where you want to go and are flexible with your dates, try and go outside of the school holiday dates of the country you choose.

Another good idea is to put a request on the long stay solutions room at chaletsdirect - www.chaletsdirect.com.

We may be able to help as well if you are interested in the Paradiski area.

Good luck and enjoy it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Natives.co.uk.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going to follow this thread with some interest. Might even be interested in a share.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A couple of seasons ago I rented an apartment in Arc 1800 for the whole of January. I looked through all the private apartment hire websites and emailed the owners, asking what the their best rate would be. It ended up costing me €1500 for the month for a 5/6 bed apartment.

Over the month I had friends visit, which helped keep the costs down. The eurostar to Bourg St Maurice was great, no baggage restrictions, then up to the resort on the funicular. Arc 1800 was really handy for getting into the supermarkets in Bourg St Maurice, although it's a bit of a trek - bus to funicular, funicular, walk to the shops then walk back with a rucksack full of shopping!

I think the only trick I missed was the lift pass. I ended up buying a season pass when I arrived, but I think I could have got one a lot cheaper if I'd bought it earlier in the year with some sort of early bird discount.

It was a great month!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Huckacliff duckabranch,have sent you a pm
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd be happy to rent to you for a month in Arc 1800! Huckacliff duckabranch, pm me if you might be interested. Would be a significant discount on commercial prices, Avoiding New Year week and February...
snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I offer a 25% discount on the advertised price for a second week and 50% discount on the third or more week. For the three or more weeks you don't get a weekly clean. Have a look at the web site for prices & availability.
Cheers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I need a house and cat sitter from mid November to Dec 17 if that's of any interest. Accommodation free in return for not turning the cats into mittens when they annoy you.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm 50 next year and am considering spending a month in the Alps too. I'm thinking 5th January to the 2nd of Feb.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fifespud, Definitely the best weeks to go for accommodation availability, the lowest price and probably the quietest time on the slopes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
aha, thanks for your responses, i'm away at the minute but will be back in england and have internet access, so i'll get back in touch then
cheers all, month im after is Jan,
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try here you can get some sensible local deals but forget about peak season.
Enjoy
Nixmap
ski holidays
skichampcouk, brock, snowyowl, MontriondSkier If you want to consider another long term rental booking then please contact me as we may well be able to help!!

Bigtipper, Rishie, eversolazy, Fifespud If you want help to find your home for a long term then please get in touch too!!
latest report
Hi, we have an apartment house in Niederau, and are happy to do long term guets. We have many ski intructors with us for the season which works very well. Prices vary from Euro 350 per month for 2/3 bed apartment to Euro 650 per month for 6 person apartment. OUr website is www.auhof.co.at Carolyn
latest report
@snowyowl,
Quote:

I'd be happy to rent to you for a month in Arc 1800! Huckacliff duckabranch, pm me if you might be interested. Would be a significant discount on commercial prices, Avoiding New Year week and February...

Hi Snowyowl,

Id be interested in renting your place out for January if its available?

Peter
snow report
There are numerous threads on this topic - Perhaps take a look at this thread titled 'Advice - 4/6 week trip suggestions' ....

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4605037&highlight=season+rental#4605037

and

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4649975&highlight=season+rental#4649975
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4655920&highlight=season+rental#4655920
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4649722&highlight=season+rental#4649722
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4640912&highlight=season+rental#4640912
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3560047&highlight=season+rental#3560047
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3518340&highlight=season+rental#3518340
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3444007&highlight=season+rental#3444007

or try out the 'search' function ....?
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:

or try out the 'search' function ....?

or resurrection button Laughing
snow report
Quote:
Might even be interested in a share.
Really? In the current climate? Skullie
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Might even be interested in a share.
Really? In the current climate? Skullie

Back in 2012 the climate was nicer... Wink
latest report
@skichampcouk, @marcellus, @snowyowl, We are looking to find a place to rent in the alpes next winter for 12 weeks. Found this thread and thought there is no harm in seeing if you still have places and rent them out for several months. Cheers guys,
Tom
latest report
@TomPeteGill,
Do you have any idea where in the Alps - resort/area/country?
snow report
Ideally Paradiski or L'Alpe D'Huez, but fairly open to any large ski area. We will be remote working and would like to have 12 weeks skiing so want a large enough area to explore. Been to both the above resorts a few times so know we like them, but happy to look at alternatives. I've had a look through Airbnb but most places seem to rent by the week etc. Would be happy to stay in a place for a full 12 weeks or set up more than one accommodation and move if owners want to use it from time to time.
snow conditions
@TomPeteGill, it may well be that many folks haven't updated for next season yet ...
ski holidays
A continuous 12 weeks will be difficult for most tourist accommodation as it will cover at least one peak period, and a lot of people rebook peak times a year out. You may well be better looking at a seasonal rental via the local rental agencies. AirBnB is worth looking at as some people will be happy for long rents, but the hosts don't always update their info this far out.

It's also worth considering if you want to ski in one area, or get a multi-area pass to give more options. See this thread
snow conditions
@TomPeteGill,
As viv mentions, for the big French resorts a 12 week rental falls awkwardly between the standard 1-2 week rentals & full season rental for owners. Which 12 weeks of the season would you be looking at? And could you stretch to a full season rental (which could turn out not to be much more than 12 weeks!)?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tbh we are very open to location and time for rental. 3 months is our full 90day allowance in EU so that was what we thought we would go for. Thanks for all of the advice so far, considering this post goes back years I'm really happy that I've already had such a good response. Are there any multi resort passes in France you guys know of? I have not managed to find any so far
snow conditions
@TomPeteGill, we were approached a few times for seasonal rental and never clinched it as we made much more on weekly rents. So we basically quoted our anticipated season less say 10%.

But we often suggested that we’d rent for the season less NY and French half terms.

Leaving the logistics aside that might be a thought for you? But you would need to find the properties first and contact owners directly.
ski holidays
@TomPeteGill,
re: Multi resort in France. Not a multi resort pass as such but
For every purchase of a Portes du Soleil season pass you get 5 vouchers for a free day in winter 2022-2023 for the 4 Vallées and 5 vouchers for a free day in winter 2022-2023 for Aletsch Arena.
That makes some nice days out.
Also some listings starting to apear on Air BnB like this one from 10th Dec 2022 for long term rentals.
This one in Chatel, Parking, Wifi, plus all bills paid when booking with airBnB. Works out at £381 per week when you factor in the 44% monthly discount. (just to give you an idea).
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/10277377?adults=2&location=Morzine&check_in=2022-12-10&check_out=2023-03-04&display_extensions%5B%5D=MONTHLY_STAYS&federated_search_id=f2589f93-6d2d-41a3-8333-1ee251810480&source_impression_id=p3_1649794333_%2FNnpcqVS5Xxc%2BB8J&translate_ugc=true
ski holidays
TomPeteGill wrote:
Tbh we are very open to location and time for rental. 3 months is our full 90day allowance in EU so that was what we thought we would go for. Thanks for all of the advice so far, considering this post goes back years I'm really happy that I've already had such a good response. Are there any multi resort passes in France you guys know of? I have not managed to find any so far

For more than 90 days don't forget tourist visas.
Some French resort season passes include free and/or discounted days in other resorts.
latest report
@TomPeteGill, drop us an email (marcellus@livetheseason.com) as we’ve got some good options already available for next season and more to come!
latest report
Quote:

Are there any multi resort passes in France you guys know of? I have not managed to find any so far

Haute Mauriene Vanoise season pass covers the six resorts in the valley, and offers free days in Montgenevre, bardonnechia (both easily reachable from Maurienne), Pralognan La Vanoise and Crans Montana and mabe another?

https://www.haute-maurienne-vanoise.com/winter/

You could even consider a base in the valley town if you do intend to ski different areas regularly
latest report
we did 4 weeks in Saint Gervais les Bain. Bought season pass early doors at a good discount. It gives 3 days at other resorts and one discount at the Thermes. The pass includes Les Contamines. Initially booked 4 weeks in January with airbandb then didn't get because of Covid, but re-booked through VRBO for March. It works for us as we often only ski a few hours in the morning.
snow report
@marcellus, dropped you an email. Let me know if you have anything. Cheers, tom
ski holidays
TomPeteGill wrote:
@marcellus, dropped you an email. Let me know if you have anything. Cheers, tom

Hi Tom, I think Katie has replied to you with some ideas hasn't she?
latest report
Mind asking Kate to resend it?

Cheers,

Tom
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy