Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season passes for 2023/24... what's looking good?

Poster: A snowHead
Shopping around right now to see what season passes the Mrs and I should purchase for the upcoming season. Haven't found anything interesting for France, but Austria seems to present multiple possibilities - currently weighing things up right now between the Superskicard and Snow Card Tirol - I can't seem to find any information on whether there is a max number of visits/days per resort?

Beyond these 2 in Austria I am also open to suggestions for other European season passes that we can consider! TIA!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Superdolomiti
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mclovin, Snow Card Tirol - there are no restrictions to the number of days. It's valid from 1st Oct. until 15th May. In the past (presumably still the case) you had to pay extra if you wanted to go to Ischgl on the days of the Top of the Mountain Opening Concert and Closing Concert.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grand Massif pass was €489 this season (€289 kids), if purchased in September. Included a few guest days at some other French resorts.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mclovin wrote:
Shopping around right now to see what season passes the Mrs and I should purchase for the upcoming season.

Just to point out that the upcoming season is 2022/23, not 2023/24 as you put in the thread title. wink Your Austrian suggestions are good, as is the Superdolomiti one (which is a huge area). If you are considering Switzerland then the Top4 pass which costs CHF777 if bought when it first goes on sale is worthwhile considering. It covers Gstaad, Adelboden-Lenk, Meiringen-Hasliberg and the Jungfrau region (Grindelwald, Wengen and Mürren). https://top4.ski/en
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.epicpass.com/

This season pass takes some beating.

It includes the USA, Canada, Australia & Japan, as well as the 3 Valleys, Verbier, Arlberg and Dolomites Very Happy Very Happy .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it only me that finds a decision on which area(s) to visit is guided by the relatively inconsequential cost/discount of an season pass?

I think you’ll save (& ski) more by selecting on basis of flight (and transfer) cost and availability e.g. Geneva vs Innsbruck…
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haute Maurienne season pass seems very good value, 335 euro this year, including some days in Italy and Switzerland*. Resorts on it nowhere as big name or as numerous as the Snowcard ones though and perhaps not the most accessible from the Netherlands.

And of course there is always the much discussed on here Magic Pass in Switzerland.

*I really wasn't a big fan of Crans Montana, the Haute Maurienne's Swiss offering, when I visited.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
Is it only me that finds a decision on which area(s) to visit is guided by the relatively inconsequential cost/discount of an season pass?

I think you’ll save (& ski) more by selecting on basis of flight (and transfer) cost and availability e.g. Geneva vs Innsbruck…

Inconsequential? 3V this year was E1400 pp, versus E500 for the Grand Massif. Like many, we drive, so not going to pull that 1800 euros back very easily.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Charliegolf, my underlying point only being that a cheap season pass would not be my starting question.

Do the 3Vs not do early bird discounts? I'm amazed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.magicpass.ch/en/

at 399 CHF, pretty decent value!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, No, they don't. (Or if they do, it's a state secret!)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Charliegolf, not even if you've had a previous one? Somewhat surprising, as although not every place does, most seem to Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All above are good suggestions, I'd say the Austrian megapasses are hard to beat for value and the amount of possibilities they offer, friends this season had the Tirol card and stayed in Worgl- worked for them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@Charliegolf, my underlying point only being that a cheap season pass would not be my starting question.

Do the 3Vs not do early bird discounts? I'm amazed.

Sadly not Sad .

But our 3Vs season passes give us 6 days in Vail resorts for free, which (in our opinion) are worth having Very Happy .

And by the end of the season we will have skied 60 days in the 3Vs, so €22 per day isn't too bad at all. We didn't ski the free days in the USA this year (for the first time in 3 seasons) as we didn't fancy the long transatlantic trip while mask wearing. We are, however, planning to go back to Colorado next season.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

Why? Do you envision flying out multiple trips (and/or paying lodging cost by the week)?
snow conditions
@abc, hmmm, my thinking applies to both multi trip and/or long-ish stay. (I note my localish knowledge is limited to a handful of resorts/areas). Specifically, given the forum, incs. travel from somewhere non-alpine and need to rent accommodation in whichever form.

@Bergmeister, if it works for you that's cool, almost certainly very good vfm, no? must confess I've always found these transatlantic passes a bit of an edge case.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Got to work the break even point.

A seasons pass doesn't work for 1-trip.

It may work out cheaper per day for 2-trips, depending on which resort.

3 trips or more and a seasons pass / multiple resort pass is definitely the way to go.

Unless you ski in Eastern Europe where day passes range between £6 to £15 per day.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-04-22 10:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Mike Pow, is that not, just a wee bit Happy, self-evident Twisted Evil

When I've looked at them, winter season passes seem to break even around 21 days.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Mike Pow, is that not, just a wee bit Happy, self-evident Twisted Evil

When I've looked at them, winter season passes seem to break even around 21 days.

Obviously not that self evident.

Many seasons passes break even between 10-13 days.

And some passes give additional discounts on rental, lessons, parking, food & beverage etc which may make it viable.

Have a closer look.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 11-04-22 10:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Today is deadline day for the Magicpass at 399 CHF. At the time of writing, I think there's about 90 minutes left until the price goes up!
snow report
Hi all,

Just to add a bit of context here -

We plan on spending the winter season in Innsbruck or Munich, which would mean skiing at least 1 weekend a month. Worst case scenario even if we remain in NL it is easily doable!
Austria seems to be the best bang for the buck for season passes, and overall affordability. Not to mention that there is a wide range of resorts at different heights and levels of ability (my partner is just starting to ski)

Going to take a look at the magic pass now, if its not already too late!
snow report
If you are going to be in Innsbruck (and meet residency criteria) then just buy the Freizeiticket - if you're partner is a beginner unlikely you'll exhaust the INN area resorts (which go as far as Stubai, Fugen etc)
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
If you are going to be in Innsbruck (and meet residency criteria) then just buy the Freizeiticket - if you're partner is a beginner unlikely you'll exhaust the INN area resorts (which go as far as Stubai, Fugen etc)

Not going to be meeting the residency requirement unfortunately... looking to rent something seasonally and work from there while still maintaining residency in NL. We will be in Austria for 4 months or so anyways so more than doable. The aim isn't to exhaust the resorts on the list but to save on buying ski passes + be able to ski on a whim (I will be going off on my own too and I am a longtime skiier)
ski holidays
Quote:

Many seasons passes break even between 10-13 days.

There's quite a broad range.

Some of the epic passes can break even at 3 or 4 days. 3 valleys can be as much as 21 days. So definitely makes sense to do the maths.
latest report
I think you only need some sort of evidence you are in Innsbruck like a rental agt or utility bill against your name (locals will no doubt confirm) and the pass is not to be sniffed at as you get 3 days in the Arlberg, 3 in Ischgl etc. The reson we're struggling with your question is if you are going to be in Innsbruck or Munich don't you want a season pass that will cover hills within a 1-2 hour travel time hence Switzerland and France etc is largely irrelevant. If you can't meet Frezeiticket conditions I'd just buy the Tirol Card and not worry about it.
snow conditions
It's mainly Switzerland but the Magicpass now going at 429CHF for the next 27 days or so!
snow report
@mclovin, ah, well, y'know, that sort of further information helps make your original question a little more complete, should we say?

At at only one weekend a month that sort of is +/- only about 34 days, which almost certainly justifies a season pass, defo a well discounted one, but does it justify a season in e.g. Munich? Twisted Evil

I mean, a weekend a month, hardly ambitious is it?

You could easily (and probably a lot cheaper) do that from Amsterdam (or wherever you are in NL).

Just sayin' wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mclovin wrote:

We plan on spending the winter season in Innsbruck or Munich, which would mean skiing at least 1 weekend a month.

under a new name wrote:

At at only one weekend a month that sort of is +/- only about 34 days, which almost certainly justifies a season pass, defo a well discounted one, but does it justify a season in e.g. Munich? Twisted Evil

You could easily (and probably a lot cheaper) do that from Amsterdam (or wherever you are in NL).

Just sayin' wink
snow conditions
Quote:
if your partner is a beginner unlikely you'll exhaust the INN area resorts (which go as far as Stubai, Fugen etc)
Fügen? On the Innsbruck pass Puzzled As Fügen is about 60km from Innsbruck, I think you're mixing it up with somewhere else...Unless it's a new town twinning arrangement or something wink
ski holidays
abc wrote:
mclovin wrote:

We plan on spending the winter season in Innsbruck or Munich, which would mean skiing at least 1 weekend a month.

under a new name wrote:

Just sayin' wink

Hence the relocation somewhere closer - the 1 weekend a month would be the minimum we would get out, which is arguably doable form the Netherlands, but if we would like to get out more (think 2x a month or on the weekends as and when we please) thats when it becomes significantly more expensive (factoring in gas and lodging). Even with the season pass, gas and lodging alone for a weekend puts us at at least +/- 500EUR and thats a conservative estimate. 2x a weekend would bring that up to close to 1000EUR! Munich, while further away than Innsbruck, makes places like Skiwelt and the areas around there a viable prospect for a day/weekend trip, driving home to sleep and heading back out on the Sat/Sun. With our mortgage, rental of a studio or an apartment in Munich or Innsbruck would still work out less than if my partner and I were to go back to our previous living situation (renting separately). The idea is to also have the ability to go ski on a whim, thus the investment in a season pass up front - unless there is something in the economics of it I am missing out? Neutral
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
if your partner is a beginner unlikely you'll exhaust the INN area resorts (which go as far as Stubai, Fugen etc)
Fügen? On the Innsbruck pass Puzzled As Fügen is about 60km from Innsbruck, I think you're mixing it up with somewhere else...Unless it's a new town twinning arrangement or something wink

For some reason I thought it was - maybe in past years but doesn't seem to be on now.

Anyway re the OP. It feels you are making things unnecessarilu complicated. Don't prevaricate with we'll ski one weekend per month but commit with an intent to do say 10 days per month across weekends and holidays. You don't have to do in in practice religiously if the weather sucks or you are feeling ill etc but you're either going to make the cost of renting somewhere and a season pass buy pay off or not. The idea of renting somewhere like Munich and still being a long drive from the slopes doesn't really make sense to me unless there are other reasons to be there.
ski holidays
Anyway re the OP. It feels you are making things unnecessarilu complicated. Don't prevaricate with we'll ski one weekend per month but commit with an intent to do say 10 days per month across weekends and holidays. You don't have to do in in practice religiously if the weather sucks or you are feeling ill etc but you're either going to make the cost of renting somewhere and a season pass buy pay off or not. The idea of renting somewhere like Munich and still being a long drive from the slopes doesn't really make sense to me unless there are other reasons to be there.

It isn’t the OP “making things complicated” with any prevarication. It’s all the other people making all sort of assumption of what the OP wants. First the multiple flights, then the justification of relocation, and the number of days in the season, or “only one weekend per month”. None of those were the OP’s original requirement.

But the OP also need to offer some information as to the priority. What sort of domain you want to ski? Lots of well manicured pistes? Or opportunity for off-piste? Beginner friendly vs challenging to experts?

It is in the absence of such specifics and priorities that people started to make assumptions that bears no resemblance to the OP’s desire. So help yourself, give us some information to what are you looking for in a season pass? Or this thread will turn into a great information for every season pass buyer except the OP!
snow report
@mclovin, here's my opinion, for what it's worth (you know the old saying? Opinions are like rectums*, everyone's got one) *that's not the original wink

Dead easy to understand the motivation to get "nearer" - and hence lift pass. But I wonder if you aren't missing a bit?

I spent ~10 years working and living in Geneva, had accom in Chamonix (1 hr away) and hence a season (annual) pass. Great, skiing paid up front, usual benefits, don't need to ski every day, avoid rain, flat light, pick and choose. Lovely.

What I didn't get was:

- hopping out for an hour or so on a bluebird powder day for first tracks (before settling in at my desk)

- heading up at no marginal cost to see what it was like (before settling in at my desk)

- We're now full time in Cham, and lucky enough to have been a 3 minute walk from the nearest access lift. It's so much nicer. We're not tied to formal work hours so we can go out when we like, and it's a 3 minute walk.

Cham (MBU) pass, for instance, also gets you access to Courmayeur (IT), Megeve-St Gervais-Les Contas, and limited access to Verbier. And there are 3 big (PdS, GM, Aravis) and several small areas within an hour's drive.

My point being that ... it doesn't look as though you are tied to a particular geography, although it does sound as though you are tied to work M-F. Munich looks to involve at least 1hr15 to decent skiing, Innsbruck I appreciate less although I don't know how much less, but maybe actually doing your season in a ski resort with big skiing and good satellite resort access on the pass might be more fun? Especially if you aren't tied to 09h00-17h00 work hours?

Just a thought Happy
snow conditions
@under a new name, quite. But the OP remains obtuse in what they are actually shooting for (other than closer than the Netherlands). Innsbruck and surrounding towns/villages really isn't bad for a real place with stuff other than ski resort stuff going on. Not quite the 3 minute walk but a train right out of the centre up Nordkette and frequent buses or 30min-1hr ish drives out to everywhere else.
If it was me looking for season I'd probably go valley towns like Briancon, Bourg D'Ois, BSM, Zell am See, Saalfelden etc over a city. I guess you could add Sierre/Sion/Martigny to that list fairly easily if budget allowed but being in a resort wouldn't suck too much other than the days you weren't out skiing.
latest report
Thanks for all the discussion on this! To address a few points-

abc wrote:

It isn’t the OP “making things complicated” with any prevarication. It’s all the other people making all sort of assumption of what the OP wants. First the multiple flights, then the justification of relocation, and the number of days in the season, or “only one weekend per month”. None of those were the OP’s original requirement.

But the OP also need to offer some information as to the priority. What sort of domain you want to ski? Lots of well manicured pistes? Or opportunity for off-piste? Beginner friendly vs challenging to experts?

It is in the absence of such specifics and priorities that people started to make assumptions that bears no resemblance to the OP’s desire. So help yourself, give us some information to what are you looking for in a season pass? Or this thread will turn into a great information for every season pass buyer except the OP!

- What I'd like is to be able to ski unlimited on a pass that allows for a good variety of resorts. I don't care too much for off piste, but what struck out to me about Austria was the variety of terrain, being able to ski under the tree line as well as high above on the glaciers. Anything from intermediate onwards would be great - we're not ones for bombing down the black runs too much, much rather chill out on the blues and reds rather than overexert ourselves.

under a new name wrote:
@mclovin, here's my opinion, for what it's worth (you know the old saying? Opinions are like rectums*, everyone's got one) *that's not the original wink

Dead easy to understand the motivation to get "nearer" - and hence lift pass. But I wonder if you aren't missing a bit?

I spent ~10 years working and living in Geneva, had accom in Chamonix (1 hr away) and hence a season (annual) pass. Great, skiing paid up front, usual benefits, don't need to ski every day, avoid rain, flat light, pick and choose. Lovely.

What I didn't get was:

- hopping out for an hour or so on a bluebird powder day for first tracks (before settling in at my desk)

- heading up at no marginal cost to see what it was like (before settling in at my desk)

- We're now full time in Cham, and lucky enough to have been a 3 minute walk from the nearest access lift. It's so much nicer. We're not tied to formal work hours so we can go out when we like, and it's a 3 minute walk.

Cham (MBU) pass, for instance, also gets you access to Courmayeur (IT), Megeve-St Gervais-Les Contas, and limited access to Verbier. And there are 3 big (PdS, GM, Aravis) and several small areas within an hour's drive.

My point being that ... it doesn't look as though you are tied to a particular geography, although it does sound as though you are tied to work M-F. Munich looks to involve at least 1hr15 to decent skiing, Innsbruck I appreciate less although I don't know how much less, but maybe actually doing your season in a ski resort with big skiing and good satellite resort access on the pass might be more fun? Especially if you aren't tied to 09h00-17h00 work hours?

Just a thought Happy

-Thanks for this - I'm tied to a 9-5 indeed but will only be working M-T through the winter season. 1h15 to 2h for decent skiing one way isn't TOO much for me, but that is why Innsbruck is looking like a good option - enough choice around within a short enough driving distance. I've also been focusing my search more on cities rather than ski villages per se - my view on this is that for when we are not skiing, a place like Innsbruck still offers plenty to experience. That said, I've gotten my hands on a list of pensions that offer seasonal accomodation in St Anton. Some of the bigger villages may also be an option here.
ski holidays
mclovin wrote:
Thanks for all the discussion on this! To address a few points-

abc wrote:

- What I'd like is to be able to ski unlimited on a pass that allows for a good variety of resorts. I don't care too much for off piste, but what struck out to me about Austria was the variety of terrain, being able to ski under the tree line as well as high above on the glaciers. Anything from intermediate onwards would be great - we're not ones for bombing down the black runs too much, much rather chill out on the blues and reds rather than overexert ourselves.

under a new name wrote:

What I didn't get was:

Just a thought Happy

-Thanks for this - I'm tied to a 9-5 indeed but will only be working M-T through the winter season. I'm under no delusions that I'd be able to get in an hour's skiing before the work day - its hard enough dragging myself out of bed for my 9AMs as it is. What I'm looking at is making the most of my weekends and days off (being there, I'd also be more inclined to use my leave days), rather than just lazing around at home here throughout the winter save for the 3/4 ski trips we would get in+afford. 1h15 to 2h for decent skiing one way isn't TOO much for me, but that is why Innsbruck is looking like a good option - enough choice around within a short enough driving distance. I've also been focusing my search more on cities rather than ski villages per se - my view on this is that for when we are not skiing, a place like Innsbruck still offers plenty to experience. That said, I've gotten my hands on a list of pensions that offer seasonal accomodation in St Anton. Some of the bigger villages may also be an option here.
snow report
I'd look very closely at what you get in a pension in St Anton for a season. It's one thing being out skiing and socialising everyday another when two people are trying to work from what is a hotel bedroom. That's the real advantage of living away from lifts - that you'll actually get an appartment with living space, a semi useful kitchen etc.
snow report
@mclovin, I'd maybe look at e.g. Aosta? It has a direct lift into Pila plus a bundle of places say 20-40 mins away - plus Italian food & wine Happy

I get the town thing but tbh tho we're in Chamonix which is a working town, it's a mountain economy working town ... lots of coders tho.

Innsbruck sounds interesting ... I've only been there a few times on business so you don't get to see much seems nice.
ski holidays
@mclovin,
Ski areas can basically split into two categories - those were the weekend is the quietest period of the week on the slopes & those were it is the busiest.
As you are looking to be mainly skiing weekends, would you be happy with crowds, or would you prefer the slopes to be quiet?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy