Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with teens

Poster: A snowHead
Ds is now 15 and a very accomplished skier, basically he doesn’t want to hang with us and doesn’t want ski school … how do you manage the wayward teens? Almost tempted to invite a friend for him next year - the problem is that most of his friends aren’t as capable as he is … his younger sister 13 is happy to pootle with us but it’s putting a strain on our snow holiday trying to keep everyone happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If he doesn't have a mate of similar standard, the only thing I can think of, are some Private Lessons with a charismatic young(ish), experienced ski Instructor - who will challenge him with a fun agenda (and be good company).

It will take a bit of research as to the right person.....but it might be worth choosing the resort based on getting the right person.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Private snowpark lessons. Did it when our youngest was 15. Worked really well and he lived in the park that trip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m in similar position, my 14 year old really has shown some real improvement, he’s still happy to ski with me as he normally pulls over half way down & my point is he really is only waiting sub 30 seconds
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My kids did not want to do ski school t all! We’ve had strops , refusals , blackmail.

We told our 12&15.yr old they had to do ski school 17 year old refused.

We arrived Saturday , 17yr old changed mind and said ok 2 days.

They did a day. They saw us and how we can’t keep up with them. Now On day 4 and they all love
Ski schooL yhehve been to snow park. Slalom . Difficult runs. All now admit teen ski school was the best thing for them. We are boring they’ve had fun.
We the. Meet for lunch and then pootle about for the afternoon together.
So glad we Forced them through.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, Ski school sounds the way forwards then … it’s a shame 15/16 year olds are lumped in with the adults sometimes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When my kids were that age I used to just let them head off and figure something out. Usually ended up getting caught by ski patrol smoking weed behind the groomer shed. They turn up again when they are hungry or want money.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't had this problem thankfully (ours are 11, 13, 15, 17). In previous years we have always had a couple of private instructors/guides and divided the family up depending on what people wanted to do, which worked really well. Especially as it allowed me to do some day trips off-piste knowing the rest of the family would be happy and taken care of. We didn't do that this year, mostly because the kids are now all good enough to ski pretty much anything. And we really enjoyed skiing together at times and in different wee groups at other times. The older teens enjoyed going off on their own at times, other times taking their younger siblings down bumps or itineraries, and sometimes hanging out with my wife and I. That said my wife is a very string skier and I am an instructor so the dynamic in terms of ability is perhaps different than for you (although my 15 year old daughter can definitely kick my backside whenever she feels like it!).

It might be better to look at this from a different direction. Perhaps it is the adults that would benefit from more instruction in an attempt to keep the ability gap smaller? Maybe you could all do ski school in the morning, or get a private instructor who can work with you all at different times.

It does depend very much where you go, but as @Rednat5, says high level teen ski school groups can be really good fun - in lots of places it is more oriented to guiding/park/some racing/off-piste than structured classes which sounds like something that your young adult would enjoy. Or simply let him off the leash to do his own thing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Adults will never have the total fearlessness that teens have Sad (except when chemically boosted).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Choppertoo49 wrote:
Thanks all, Ski school sounds the way forwards then … it’s a shame 15/16 year olds are lumped in with the adults sometimes.

All depends how flushed you are - you could get him private lessons and he could ski with an instructor, improve more and tear around the ski area being pushed or as above stick him in ski school but in a class that he will enjoy that pushes him - he might like being with the adults if the class is stretching enough.

I was always lucky with my eldest, who by her late teens was also very good, in experts and off-piste ski school and wanting to become an instructor. She was always a born coach and loved taking me under her wing. Sadly a ruptured ACL, playing netball 3 weeks before departure, put paid to her instructor dream and she is now married with child.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 14-04-22 17:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lol back off to Pendle ski club again then, guess we could do with more lessons .. both ex snowboarders but realized it was easier if we all skied together … kids are light years ahead of us now sadly
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I was that age, my parents would just dump me at Cairngorm carpark at 9am and collect me at 5pm. Also did a ski club holiday at the same age, we were given our Espace Killy lift passes and told "dinner is at 7pm".
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The top ESF classes, slalom etc, don't take prisoners. Good for kids to realise they're not as good as they think they are.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The teens did all 6 days!
From adamant not going to bribing them with 4/6 days. 17yr old def not going at all the said would do 2 days. They all did all6. Instructor great, really chilled with them . Had fun in snow park and slalom etc

Way more than we would have done.

It was a success! Ended up in group of 8 all mainly 14-16 age group.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rednat5 - can I ask which ski school that was. Sounds great. Thanks.
ski holidays
ESF Les deux Alpes
snow report
Our groups teens did ESF 3 (the highest level available to book online) in Tignes. Day 1, fantastic- blacks, snow park etc. Day 2, group split into teenagers and adults and the teens were given another instructor who was too staid and “boring” and “not actually teaching us anything”. Ended up trading in the remainder of the group sessions for a couple of privates in the pm with the original guy which was again a huge success. So I think it depends very heavily on the attitude of the instructor- Tignes was v busy that week and I suspect every possible instructor roped in. Plus teens are an acquired taste Laughing
snow report
Quote:

When my kids were that age I used to just let them head off and figure something out.

This - my kids used to head off with cousins and other kids from chalet/hotel. We didn't hear the details of the scrapes they got themselves into - and out of. A wee gang of them went all over Valloire on blades. You thought blades could not be used "off piste"? Think again. We did hear a little about one day when they headed down into a gulley full of trees and bushes. They discovered the limits of blades that day, as well as how hard it is to scramble uphill through a snowy thicket.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy