Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKi wear

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for some decent womens skiwear but dont know where to start.

As I am new to skiing this year and as I have loads of kit for walking, cycling and running I just bought some bog standard trespass pants and wore them with my North Face Waterproof, drifit and a lightweight fleece. Things is I found them both quite restrictive and layers bulky. Biggest problem was I got one hell of a sore chin from my jacket rubbing as it was chucking it down with snow.

Ideally i would like a soft, lightweight jacket (with a soft chin bit) and pants that are designed to fit a bit more like trousers and don't crackle when I walk. I would also like some glove recommendations (they too were cheap and cheerful jobbies) that aren't bulky, have good grip and that will allow me to wipe my nose and do my zips without taking them off.

Which brands would be good and that don't cost the earth, or am i asking too much here?

Thx Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Know what you mean about the chin thing! I have a pair of North Face shell trousers which fit well and don't leave you feeling like the Michelin man. Prior to that I had a very nice pair of Degre7 pants which were fleece-lined and slightly stretchy - comfy, warm and windproof, thoroughly excellent. I managed to diet myself out of them, so if you want a pair of size 14 trousers, let me know!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
I managed to diet myself out of them
hmmmm . . . in which direction Twisted Evil

I'm off . . .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sparkygirl, TK-Maxx nearer the season. and Tchibo.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

and don't crackle when I walk.

Have a look at the Paramo stuff. Not cheap, but lasts for ages....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why not consider a softshell jacket? Very comfortable, stretchy and breathable. Some are more waterproof than others - I think Mountain Hardwear make one with a hood that is pretty waterproof and would keep out the snow. They are not cheap, but you will get the comfort factor and the option to wear off the slopes for walking, biking etc. You can also get some at decent prices.

Re trousers, I hate to pay too much for them - they serve only one purpose and get trashed easily. Columbia make some reasonably-priced trousers.

TK Maxx is great if you go at the right time. Some real bargains to be had there - a friend of mine got a Patagonia Stretch Element jacket from there for about £65 (retails at about £280 I think !)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I found TK Maxx to be excellent for socks, but I get most of my other kit off ebay - but as usual buyer beware, you have to know how to use it etc.....

- NEW Quicksilver Ski/Board Trousers £15
- NEW Helly Hansen Hellytech Salopettes 26euros
- North Face soft shell Windstopper 30euros
- Scott Polartec Fleece Gilet 1EURO!!!

As I'm a bit of a brand pony I tend only to shop for the expensive kit but have found it to make financial sense as it lasts longer and does a better job too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decathlon are pretty good - I think there's one in Nottingham?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got my Eider coat and trousers in the Snow and Rock sale in about September last year. They lasted a whole season and were absolutely EXCELLENT! Paid £80- reduced from £300 and something for the jacket and £65 for the trousers- best bargain of the season!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Eider coat and trousers

I have found Eider gear very comfortable and effective, and non-gimmicky, so they last for several seasons. Expensive, but as Nadenoodlee found, sales are the answer. Our local ski shop has some great bargains at the moment, and there must be some in Nottingham. People are different shapes - I found I had to try on a lot of jackets and pants before finding comfortable ones, despite being a very ordinary shape and size. I found some of them, including expensive brands, were too stiff. So I would personally find buying on Ebay, or any other means where I couldn't try on, a bit risky. I bought some size 12 base layers without trying on, in a hurry one day, and despite being a size 10 in many trouser brands, actually found them a bit too tight. I found some excellent goretex gloves very cheap in TK Maxx, and a good jacket, but it did take three hours of sorting through the tat.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sparkygirl, Hi - if you have a McArthur Glen type of outlet near you, try Helly Hansen. I bought my HH jacket from there about 4 years ago after 20 years of various bits and pieces from C & A etc., and it has been excellent. No bulk, very warm, windproof and waterproof to a fault. Full price they are around £250 - in the outlet I think I paid around £70 and it's been a bargain! Very Happy
Otherwise, I'd echo other advice about TK Maxx from early autumn onwards - D2B and Columbia are always a good bet - and give yourself a couple of hours early in the day! You'll end up very stressed otherwise Madeye-Smiley

As for the chin thing, I have a very fine fleece tube thing that is worn around the neck, inside your jacket, and can be pulled up to protect you chin/face in wind and snow. That's been a God-send!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy