Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold Urticaria?? Any advice on what this is?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi we’re currently in Arcs 1800. My daughter has developed blisters on her face after being out skiing (mainly under her nose, round her lips and chin area) face also looks a bit swollen and sore. Does anyone have any advice on what this could be? We have an online drs appointment later but find the online appointments work best if you turn up with some info to start off.
Any advice greatly appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reaction to sun cream? Also, sun cream can block pores in that area, although blisters sounds too extreme for this.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply she’s been using a suncream she’s used loads of times before. The blisters are quite large - the poor thing is desperate to get out skiing again!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DJT, if you are still in France, a UK doctor will not be able to advise you or treat your daughter. They are not insured for treating patients who are out of the country. Go to a French pharmacy. Without seeing the skin I couldn't advise either.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for this I didn’t know about the uk/drs thing. Good idea we’ll head off to the pharmacy in a min and see what they suggest
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DJT, let us know how you get on.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you we will do Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is the sun cream still in date? It does go off and lose its UV properties.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The dr said she thinks it’s an allergic reaction to the cold and she’s prescribed some antibiotic cream. Daughter not happy as torn between wanting to still go out skiing but not wanting to make it worse Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DJT, is there anything on her ski jacket (zip for example) that could be catching her face and irritating it? How about a buff to cover the affected areas, or a ski mask.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm sure she wants to go out skiing, poor kid. Could she wear a buff or mask and protect that part of her face completely? If she's been given a cream by the doctor (when my son got something very similar in Italy, the pharmacist gave him a kind of mild anti-histamine, rather than an antibiotic) I'd just use that, and no sun protection. You haven't said your daughter's age - if she's a little one, you have to make the decision for her. But given what you've said, I'd let her go out, suitably covered, and only stop her skiing if it gets worse - ski time is so precious and limited! But then I'm not a very protective parent!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone, she wore a buff covering up to her nose all day yesterday and reapplied suncream. She’s nearly 13 so we’re happy to let her have a say in what she feels she wants to do. Poor thing though - she loves skiing, but also is feeling self conscious! We walked out to the village this morning to get bread and it was looking worse once we got back in (fleece buff over it still) Going to wait for the prescription to come through and hopefully that’ll sort it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DJT, Could they be cold sores? (Herpes Simplex 1) When I was about your daughters age back in the '70`s, camping and exposed to a combination of cold and sun I had such a outbreak. I remember it to this day, the embarrassment and the anxiety about it in particular, it covered much of my lower face!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wondered about cold sores but they don’t look like it (looks like proper sunburn blisters all under nose, chin and round lips and face slightly swollen up) the dr was a bit puzzled when she saw her and said she’s going to send the photos to colleagues for their opinions too. Daughter has just tried to go out but had to come back in after 1 run as in pain.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Daughter has just tried to go out but had to come back in after 1 run as in pain.

What a shame!
ski holidays
@DJT, my son had something similar on one of our ski trips. I think a combination of sun and wind probably did it, although he was well-covered in high factor suncream. It didn't reoccur thank goodness, so never really got to the bottom of it. He's not the one who had eczema or sensitive skin either. Pharmacy gave us something really effective,although it was probably 25 years or more ago now so I couldn't tell you what it was. I am sure doc will let you know if there is something better.
latest report
Was the same with my son - it was a kind of "prickly heat" (to use a non-technical description). I remember looking up some words in Serbo Croat, for the pharmacy - I said it was Italy, earlier, but that was wrong, it was Kapaonik). He wasn't the "eczema boy" either - the only other allergic reaction he had was one year, from a mango from a tree he'd eaten mangos from the previous year (and did the following year) with no problem. His lips and surroundings swelled up purple and sore. His way of eating a mango was messy and covered his face with it (he was only 3 or 4). But he loved it, and we discovered that by chopping it up daintily and using a fork to put it right inside his mouth, he could eat it without trouble. So it was just a local allergic reaction to a very particular fruit - mangos off the other trees, different varieties, caused no problems. Fortunately he was the stoic one of my two boys - the other would have had made a terrible fuss.
snow report
dr thinks it’s an allergic reaction to the cold and she’s prescribed some antibiotic cream ... if it's an allergic reaction (to the cold), why are they prescribing antibiotics ?????
...world's in enough trouble with spurious use of antibiotics.
(sorry for the non-ski related outburst)
ski holidays
@JonA, I was wondering that too. Odd choice of treatment.
latest report
Yes, as I said earlier, the pharmacist (who I said was in Italy but was actually in Serbia....) gave us some anti-histamine cream. I guess a steroid cream might be another possibility? Though not for more than a v short time. My daughter used to get some sudden very marked allergic reaction to, say, a bra strap. At other times the same bra caused no problems, but she'd have huge red raised welts around the area. It happened once skiing, when she'd been a bit hot and sweaty on a warm day. We had to dash down to the pharmacy in Les Saisies and get anti-histamine tablets - these days she usually always has them. she gets bad hay fever too, for months.
ski holidays
MrHL has urticaria and takes daily anti histamine. It is red weals rather than blisters and itchy not painful.
snow report
JonA wrote:
dr thinks it’s an allergic reaction to the cold and she’s prescribed some antibiotic cream ... if it's an allergic reaction (to the cold), why are they prescribing antibiotics ?????
...world's in enough trouble with spurious use of antibiotics.
(sorry for the non-ski related outburst)

Sorry should have made it clearer - the dr thought the blisters looked infected and were spreading hence the antibiotic cream prescription. Looking loads better than she was before thank goodness
latest report
@DJT, I did write a post after my original thoughts wondering just that.........
snow report
Thanks so much everyone for all the suggestions and help Very Happy daughters face is looking a lot better and less swollen than it did this morning thank goodness! @holidayloverxx thanks for the urticaria info it does sound different to my daughters.
ski holidays
Impetigo?
snow report
Deffo sounds like a bacterial Impetigo type rash due to the blisters and location. Topical antibiotic cream should work.
Unlikely to be viral or allergic / contact dermatitis cause but that’s me diagnosing from your written description without photographic evidence.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy