Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Building up muscle around a hip replacement.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have experience of this?
What exercises can I do to build this muscle back up?
My hip replacement was a few years ago now, but I got avascular necrosis in the months between breaking my hip (which was pinned) to the actual replacement. This meant a year where the muscle had started to waste.

While skiing recently it was evident that lack of muscle on my hip replacement side was causing me to turn badly one way.

Are there any exercises to help build this muscle back up a better level of strength?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have this - had a hip replacement after childhood hip dysplasia and subsequent arthritis. I can’t say I’ve found the exact answer but physio recommends lots and lots of clamshells, lying down leg lifts and leg raises while on all fours. Also anything one legged, particularly standing balances in yoga seem to help build strength and stability more than anything else I’ve tried.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should say - in case you don’t do yoga, look up warrior 3, standing head to knee and one legged tadasana. Good luck! I learned to ski after my operation and I’m very wonky/ cautious
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The muscles around the hip are the glute muscle group,the most complex muscle group in the body 24 different muscles, so one needs to use lots of variety, the post from Soozm cover a lot, but lunges, split squats sumo squats,side inside lifts are just as important.
Speaking to a friend of mine who is a very experienced Physio , say people make the mistake of concentrating on say just lunges and say side lifts this leaves in inherent weakness.which can leave the hamstrings weak which can cause problems with back of the Knee IE= the Cruciate muscles so working the whole muscle group is the only way to get the muscle mass back to get the strength back not only for sport but the but the whole body so it can function efficiently for the long term future. When one looks at the glute muscle why is it the biggest muscle in the body ,it supports the upper body so can so a weak glute can lead to long term lower back problems as well
If you go to a Gym ask a trainer to give you a list or work out a training program, if you know a good physio they could do as well, unfortunately good physios who really know stuff are in short supply, from experience most of only want to keep you on their books
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your replies.
I know from previous experience of injuries, that other muscle groups compensate for the lack of muscles in the injured part of the body. I am going to try and get to see a sports physiotherapist asap.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mrs NBT, could I suggest (particularly if you can juggle already) juggling whilst just standing on the affected leg. It has certainly helped be regain subtle control of my impacted leg as well of lots of time on the static bike and boring weights every day!
Oh if you can’t juggle a good time to learn.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mrs NBT, get yourself a theraband, one of those big elastic resistance bands, wide but thin and look up hip flexor exercises on the net.
Work on flexibility and strength. As said above, work on every angle of motion not just squats and lunges

If you concentrate on lunges etc and biking the hip flexibility and surrounding muscles can become very tight and sometimes painful.

8 weeks work and you'll start to see big benefits
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From my experience (admittedly based on knees rather than hips) is that you want a combination of work on the larger muscles (e.g. clam shells), and also balance. On the balance side, progress through the following standing on one one foot on the affected side:

Just standing on the one foot on a solid surface for as long as you can
As above, but standing one something less stable - e.g. a cushion
Either of the above, but holding some weight that you swing around - I use a kettle bell and do a combination of passing around my body, swinging front and back, and swinging side to side
Use a Bosu ball for even less stability
Close your eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi. I'm recovering from a broken femur and am similarly working on strengthening the muscle groups around the hip. Firstly, I would get professional advice from a physio/kine - preferably one who has sports injury experience as they will understand your aims. My physio has given me lots of exercises mainly focussed on the muscles that run down the outside of the leg/hip to waist, and those that run at the back of the leg through the buttock. The other muscle groups seem to get quite a bit of cross over build up. The exercises include balancing on the injured leg and moving the other leg and arms about; lifting the injured leg into the air with weights around the foot while lying sideways; squashing a swiss ball into the wall pushing from the injured leg; pilates side plank; squashing a football behind the knee and lifting the body into air whilst lying flat. Making certain all the time that when exercising and walking that the muscles on the outside of the leg and the buttock are well tensioned and working and that you keep a full range of movement forwards/backwards/sidewards.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the helpful replies.
I saw a sports physiotherapist on Thursday evening. She was great.
She's drawn up a simple exercise plan and I was given some acupuncture (gosh that was like a miracle).
Also she spotted that my leg is now half a cm shorter. I'm getting some gel inserts for shoes, to get my walking stance back to normal.
Well worth the money and time spent with a person in the know. I feel elated to know that the problems can be sorted with a bit of work from me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All these posts have helped give me hope to return to skiing once I get my replacement done Eh oh! thank you Eh oh!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a double hip replacment in june 2022 and am looking to ski in the next few weeks. The muscle loss and damage is extensive but I have found riding a mechanical horse very helpful, same muscle group as skiing. If anyone is looking for a rehab ski partner or group let me know, as I don't want to slow everyone up first time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome to snowHeads @newhips & @Ladysnow snowHead snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy