Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Socks for very cold feet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got my wife some heated boots about four years ago, no more cold feet, they replaced some that she had with some replacement heated soles but the batteries had to be hooked on the top of the boot.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowwithkids,

https://www.sealskinz.com/collections/socks

I have several pairs of these socks (waterproof cold weather knee length type)

I have used them many times for skiing / winter hiking and find them excellent as they are completely waterproof (you could stand in a puddle without boots on and your feet would still be dry)

They are also very warm and breathable
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowwithkids, Z speaks much wisdom.

Three vital things:

1 Check that your boots are not constricting blood flow over the top of your foot. A big artery (lateral planar artery) runs on the top of the foot, and if your boots constrict this (new Salomons do for me, but not Lange or Full Tilt or Atomic Magna) then you will get cold feet - for sure. Regret that this is an area where its difficult to relieve the boot here, although the tongue can be ground. Also adjustment to footbed such as grinding to create clearance, but not all boots possible and need to protect delta.

2 Definitely keep your chest and neck VERY warm...this fools your body into thinking that it's warm outside and stops any triggering of cold response/Reynaulds. Wear a thick neckie all the time and you will be amazed how warm your toes and fingers are.

3 Definitely dry your boots every day as Zikomo wisely states. Most would say 'what!!!?!" but I take my liners out and they go on the radiator all night. Yep. And in 20 years they have been fine. And they last much longer that way, too. 60 weeks out of my Lange liners so far and the only problem is a tear, they have not fully packed out. Even slight dampness in your boots on Day 2 will turn into chilling on the hill, unless you are bootpacking a 2ooom route.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 29-01-23 0:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be honest I like beer(s) after skiing so more often than not the liners end up shoved on the radiator as too much faff to do anything else!

Other main benefit of following that process of your bouts don’t stink!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There has been very good advice above. I ski with my Daughter who has Reynauds, which affects both hands and feet. The problem is blood flow, so once the cold sets in, there isn't enough of the body's natural heat to be trapped by the insulation.

Socks

They are important to get right, but generally aren't the solution - but can be the cause of making the the problem worse. They need to be:
1. Thin - which counterintuitively, ends up being warmer than thick socks. Avoid the temptation to put on 2 pairs.
2. Properly fitting - tight around foot/ankle/arch. No wrinkles; no bunching; no slippage and no Tube socks - and nothing inside the boot except the socks.
3. Wicking properties: need to move moisture away from the feet, keeping them dry
4. Completely dry - change as and when necessary.

Once the above is achieved (whether Synthetic or Merino) - there is nothing further that can be done on that front - except getting heated ones.

Boots

- It is the insulation in the boots that has the biggest impact and is what actually keeps the feet warm
- They need to be well fitted - so don't need to be cranked shut, which reduces the warming blood flow
- As mentioned above, they need to be completely dried out each day. A boot drier or heated Boot Bag is a must imv - and leaves the boots dry and warm to put on each morning. The boot driers used in hotel boot rooms can effect custom insoles
- Make sure the boots are put on correctly

Keep the core of the body warm

- Otherwise blood is removed from the extremities, leaving them cold

Reynauds/Poor circulation

If best practice is followed re Socks/Boot fitting/Daily drying etc and the problem continues, then an extra source of heat is needed. As mentioned above, this usually requires something battery powered or the little "Tea Bags".

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 29-01-23 16:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This might sound weird, but I did had massive problems with cold feet, until a boot fitter in my area said, that I should go for really thin merino socks, and make sure the boot is fitted well. Apparently thick socks makes your feet cold.

I started out with just the socks, and it did make a huge difference. Next step was the boots, that were 6-7 years old, and they got replaced with a both that really was fitted perfectly (Tecnica Mach1 in my case). I have literally not had cold while skiing since.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lots of very valid points above .

Doing weeks on a glacier at height in dec and jan where temps vary from -8 to -27 .....plus wind chill .
I use two layers of merino or merino and synthetic on the legs as they are the bodys biggest muscles and hold the blood to the feet .

If you heat those big leg muscles supply of blood in your legs then you heat your feet which is easily done

Merino has a very wide comfort/temp range and your legs dont/wont feel luncomfortable if running them hot all day.
Unlike if you run the upper body too hot .....its just plain uncomfortable even with vents.

Using two leg layers has lots of options diy you have to figure it out which can be done instore .
I used/tested alot of baselayers..... from aldi merino to icebreaker merino and expensive Norwegian dual layer merino/mesh also Rab power stretch pro and synthetic/merino combos.

Merino has upsides/downsides so does synthetic ..you can also use both together which the Norwegians do .....which is saying something .
The Norwegians have forgotten more than a recreational skier will ever know on layering for cold weather activity

They do sell great layering options at a price .

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 3-03-24 12:26; edited 10 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I do hope the OP had found a solution earlier than this ...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As we approach our next trip, I have re-read this thread to buy some more socks.
Thank you all so much for your replies - made a note of all the advice Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use thermic heated insoles on cold days. They've been a great investment so far. Appreciate that was not the question asked so apologies if irrelevant to you!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Might be a bit late to the party with this but my OH sometimes gets cold feet.

I was concerned about our recent trip to Finland with temps of minus 10 on a good day!
We ski on falke socks and they are very comfy and work well with our boots so was not keen to upset that balance.

So after a bit of reading and looking, I found a pair of neoprene ski boot covers. There are expensive branded ones but I took a punt on the £15 pair of eBay.

They worked great. The kept enough snow off the boot to stop the cold getting through. They also act as a wind break again, keeping the boot warmer.
She even put them on her walking boots when we walked into town.

They don’t look particularly fashionable but they did the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186220210942?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=luyobcldtja&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=3uh_yXBsQAK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy