Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spring in Alta Badia: live TR 2nd-9th April 2022

Poster: A snowHead

Fresh snow on the balcony. Spring in the Dolomites Confused

3 hours of driving and it’s covered in snow
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

First glimpse of the Bella vista
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crikey, you’ve hit the jackpot. A week ago the conditions were looking dire but now there’s plenty of snow and the conditions for the next few days look wonderful.

Enjoy!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's the first proper fall of snow since January
Looking at various wed cams it is also really quiet

Enjoy +1

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 3-04-22 18:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quiet Laughing I had to share a chairlift once all day, and that was because the man was chatting to my kids instructor. They were on the chair just ahead.

Forgot I’d already posted that photo, have the La Crusc Church instead
Spent the day skiing between La Villa and La Crusc so only 1300-1800m. This area shuts for the season now. Sunshine all morning, lovely outdoor lunch with a decent view. Then got the kids to ski school (painfully, daughter suddenly decided she couldn’t turn left, which made things a bit fractious).

The crowded slopes, had to share with these rascals
The usual sorting out day of group lessons had just the 2 of them + instructor so was basically a private lesson. They are getting taken to San Cassiano to make up a group tomorrow. Occasionally I passed someone on the piste but it’s extremely quiet.

My lunch
After 2 it got cloudy and it’s been snowing solidly since 3, even down in Badia! The hotel is pretty awesome as well. As nice as any hotel I’ve ever been to (skiing or not). Minibus shuttle pick up/drop offs very efficient so far too. I’ll try and bung in a few photos
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I love those dumplings, they are so tasty. The pictures are so great, must be something having the pistes all to yourself, enjoy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Day 2 was pretty tough going. Setting a new bar for getting the kids to ski school, their instructor picked them up from hotel reception 30 mins before their lesson.

Loitered around as the cleaner was in and I needed to shower and change. Left at 10, Boe gondola in 10 mins, top of Vallon 25, under an hour to the top of Portovescovo.

The busy slopes of Arabba around 11

Lots of snow until I came back to pick the kids up, it was much brighter in Alta Badia.

The busy slopes of Alta Badia, about 12

Occasionally met someone at a lift station but more often on my own everywhere. Accidentally took the blue from Bec de Roses to Campolungo, that was actually sort of busy but other than that, empty pistes all day.

Afternoon with the kids (the humans in the distance)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks amazing! I thought you would probably have the place to yourselves! snowHead snowHead

It often happens that they close the lifts due to lack of interest in April, just when they've got some of the best conditions of the season! rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Garfield wrote:
That's the first proper fall of snow since January

There was a heavy snowfall in the Dolomites on 16th Feb, around 30-40cm depending on location.

I know only too well, because my hire car bottomed out on the way back into the car park at our accommodation even though it had winter tyres and I had to dig it out!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Today started with 1 run of that crusty stuff that I loved to carve before I got these skis and we get a lot of it in Scotland of a morning so I think I should ski it in different skis. Does that mean I need more skis? Anyway, this was the view

Can’t fault it really

Then it all came together as I got chairs up northish facing slopes and skied down softened southish facing ones, over the AB plateau

From 14
To the top of Pralongia next, the view is ok except there is a visible chair. Note if you zoom in, you can see actual skiers (not my children) on the lift

On I went and found myself again looking upwards at the mountains above Arabba

All very different to yesterday
As I headed to the Belvedere de Canzei (wot u mean there are better views)
how’s about this one?
This was the limit for my morning as had to get back to get the kids from ski school. Still time for Fodoma, much easier than yesterday.

And finally a view from Bec de Roses on the way back to Alta Badia

It was a pretty nice morning.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The afternoon, not so much loveliness: lunch at La Brancia was great. One of those terraces where one view is nearly as good as another. Unfortunately, there was a fall involving a child on the first run after lunch and I was too busy taking this photo to provide requisite assistance within an adequate time frame.

Can you spot the yard sale?

4 runs in 3 hours later and we finally made it home, via a short section of closed (for no reason and with no warning) but fully groomed piste and with a final chairlift still working 7 minutes after its supposed finish time. Tomorrow should be less stressful.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fabulous! Thanks for posting.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As predicted, as I had the day to myself, it was much less stressful. Slightly confusing start: the kids were worse than ever at getting out and we got in the lift to me saying “guys, where are your gloves???” And them going Puzzled so straight up again. Got them off to ski school but coming back down the ski room stairs I find a German? guest holding my gloves and talking to the minibus driver. So I talk to him in English, he talks to the driver in German and he talks to me in Italian? I just replied “kinder, children“ and we exchanged the rueful glance of fathers and all was well again. Because aforementioned German and driver had gone by the time I got my boots on, a boss man saw me looking forlorn on the bench and put me in a brand new electric Mercedes and whizzed me off to Corvara.

Busy pistes from Sodlisia, now an 8 person chairlift
After the many lifts up Colfosco valley I reached Cir. Bulletproof but followed it right to the 2 man chair at its bitter end.

Let’s go slidey sideways while rattling

Then through Selva to Ciampinoi and down Sasslong, as recommended by the kids instructor. Twice because I was on the (edit, it’s skiers right that ends up at chair, left carries on down) of the piste and this stops at the chairlift. This was also bulletproof so I went to ‘the sunny side of Val Gardena’. Because the gondola station is right opposite the funicular I ended up sharing one!!!! Think this is the second time all week. Damn fine view from the top though!

It’s a lift station/hotel/museum and you walk out to this view

Another track to a chair and it’s the James Bond run. 10.5 kms, 1275m descent. Perfect softened spring corn. Saw 10 other skiers on the descent. Decided this was as far as I dared go as I had ended up at the gondola (designed for very short people, used my helmet here), saw no clues about how to get to Alpe di Suisi, and it was afternoon. Spent the gondola ride discussing an urgent VAT return problem Skullie Skullie Skullie which was Mad Evil or Very Mad , then the gondola finished and I was put on a small cable car, by a liftie asking me to put my mask on, while his was round 1 ear Puzzled

Still, the run was awesome. Back and did the short black. Got really confused and convinced myself it was actually a blue (black and blue piste markers look identical through my goggles) then headed back to Santa Christina. This involved skiing through a party and nearly getting taken out by a waitress wielding Prosecco Cool

The party after I’d slalomed through

The view from the party

Despite my extensive reading here, no one has previously mentioned that the entrance to Sasslong gondola station is up a short flight of stairs and through an unlikely looking wooden wall Embarassed C’mon guys, these are the nuggets required. Anyway Sasslong still sounded scratchy from the lift. OTOH run 5 out of there was the worst sort of mashed potato from the start. Dolomite slush all the way at 2pm. Put me off finding Paprika and decided to leg it for home. Obvious problem, massive mountain in the way! The next lift was the fanciest of all. 10 man, heated seats, pininfarina designed Shocked then through the Citta deli Sassi, nice views, use of poles required as it’s a too flat road.

Citta dei Sassi

Into Val di Fassa and enjoyed the top of 11 so much I took the lowerof the 2 chairs to the col and did it all again. Got very sticky lower down TBH. It’s tough reporting from here sometimes, you know. Then the lift is up a slope, poor design, where’s the magic carpet fit now?

Eventually I got up to the Belvedere, despite nearly getting on the wrong lift, where it was a bit more cloudy than yesterday so I didn’t bother with more photos but did find a great enormous red in perfect condition around the back of the restaurant. Which was nice.

Decided on the red from Bec de Roses then got caught up in weird getting on a chairlift shenanigans, bear with me while I explain:

Costoratta is an 8 seater chair, at the gates are a gent in (L-R) pos 8 & 2 ladies in 5&6. I amble up behind heading for pos 4. There is no one else around. The gates open, I push into my pos 4 space, gent in 8 goes through his gate, 2 ladies don’t move and turn to look at me as if I’ve crash landed from the planet Zog. Gent realises he’s the only person going to catch the chairlift and goes onto the liftie platform to avoid getting swept up by the arriving chair. I push on to the next chair, and get an 8 man to myself again, while all these dumplings are still blocking the gates Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Loneliness on another empty chair
Anyway run 1 was very nice spring corn almost all the way and completely empty.

Spring corn hero snow and no people
There was some of the infamous Dolomite slush in Corvara, had to get a couple of chairs and and an empty Gran Risa to finish. Nearly bloody finished my thighs off, that is for sure. There were a few groans (from me) on the final turns. The snow was great all the way but my mind was, again cashing cheques the body couldn’t deal with. All in all, fantastic snowHead

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 8-04-22 23:38; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lovely photos and great to read your reports. It's making me want to be there all over again. Still, just over 9 months until my next trip. I'm sure the time will pass quickly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@what...snow, to get to Alpe di Suisi there is a tunnel directly behind the gondola you took to get back up. You have to go down the stairs, you can’t see it from the gondola loading area. There is a travelator that takes you out the other end. Then turn left and go down the escalator. Then a walk across town to the gondola that takes you up to Alpe di Suisi. It’s about 20mins from gondola at the bottom of La Longia til you get to the top of the gondola at Alpe di Suisi, so factor in about 40mins return travel time. It’s pretty flat up there so combined with the grabby pm snow I think you’d be doing a(n awful) lot of poling up there.
snow report
Cracking pictures and marvellous updates, looks far too busy though, how do you cope?! Laughing
snow conditions
@dode, thanks for that info, will save for future reference. I love it here and it’s been great exploring new areas this week. Even though it’s my 2nd week’s holiday in Alta Badia, I’ve got to get back for ski school pick ups every day so I haven’t much time to explore any areas thoroughly. I found 2 new runs around Corvara and I finally made it up the Edelweiss valley today.

I haven’t done the SR by the recognised route but at least I’ve been round one way last time and the other way yesterday so I sort of know where I’m going. I’m getting a bit more familiar with how much time you need but I still end up taking a few shots and staring at the scenery, dumbstruck, quite often. It’s very hard to keep skiing when the views are so good.
snow conditions
Not so many photos today as it was often cloudy Sad but that kept the snow in better condition Very Happy and even better, it looks like the clouds are lifting and it will get cold enough for the overnight re-freeze. It was warm enough to sit on the balcony until 7 but it is much cooler now.

Today, I went exploring bits of Alta Badia that I have somehow never got to in 11 days of skiing Embarassed Got dropped off at Corvara and since I started with Borest yesterday, went up Boe today. Decided 1 would def be icy, and Vallon, but dropping down 22 could have softened, and it had snowHead Up to Bec de Roses and reckoned Savine was the better bet, and 2/3 of it was perfect. Headed back to Pralongia and avoided all the obvious routes by taking 21a then b. Tourers and babies on sledges but no one else skiing. Unfortunately had to take skis off to cross the drive of Hotel Costes but it’s quite nice and very quiet down here at Planac (other than the car park).

2 hotels a chairlift a button tow and not much else
Next I went to Corvara to get Borest, then Colfosco to explore the Edelweiss valley up there. 2 great viewpoints at Forcelles and Col Pradat with lovely snow to ski the reds and (easy, short) black.

Forcelles viewpoint

Col Pradat with gondola

Looking the other way at the start of the piste

Then I went back to the other side of Corvara via Col Alto to ski Gran Risa again. It really is a great run. No let up whatsoever as it drops 680m in 2km. Then over to Sorega to ski 12 only to find it shut. Gaaah! And I’d poled over from above Las Vegas. Gutted!

Picked up the kids to meet the Mrs for lunch at Boe Alpine Lounge. Great pizza, great view from indoors (the sun was out so it was perfect for lounging on the terrace and no one was indoors). Best of all, no stairs to the toilet!

The view from inside the restaurant!

From the other side, over run 1 to the Alta Badia plateau

Continuing my exploration of the quiet corners, we cut off 1 down to (shut button tow) Crep de Munt. I thought the snow was fine and I spotted a fine looking Rifugio but daughter less impressed. TBH it’s a bit much of a trek across the road, bridge and snowy field to the chairlift. At least it was extra quiet, just us and the liftie. After this we headed for home via a long slow run involving lots of poling down 9/11, 28 (still nice) and finally managed to catch the open bit of 23 to Bamby (no signs for this run) and the gondola home.

Last day for us tomorrow, 2nd last for the area, the hotel and all the staff. Now got to rub my son’s belly as he’s overeaten at dinner rolling eyes
latest report
Superb thread, thanks for sharing your experience.
snow report
@what...snow, Ace pictures - what are you using ; a dedicated camera or just the one from your mobile phone??
ski holidays
Alas my son’s tummy ache worsened as the night drew on. My daughter changed from moaning mini about anything to little miss helpful and stroked the (mildly) fevered brow and read stories to keep the unwell hero entertained. Second time this holiday she has performed way above and beyond expectations when the chips were truly down. Worse, at 11 he vomited copiously. Much vomiting later, I fell asleep with my daughter, around 2am. Awoke at 5am, mainly due to my daughter’s death grip on my arm, which was numb from the elbow down. Swapped with Mrs WS who regaled me which further tales of vomiting, even in his sleep. Tried to stay awake from 5-8am but only had to deal with a few grunts and groans.

First thing this morning was not a pretty sight: bad shades of green and white all round.

Ominously, a new instructor appeared at pick up, the instructor +2 pupils were down. Another phone call and it was confirmed that the only survivor of the group was my daughter so she was teamed up with the only 2 other children in ski lessons and another instructor.

Son slowly improved but in no state to go skiing. I managed to get out 1030-1330 but spent 15 mins looking for my room pass in the La Villa car park. Eventually gave up. Skied Gran Risa. Still a challenge even first up. Slightly firm still. Bamby was much better, south facing and soft. Got over to 5 and had 1 turn around Arlara, just because it always seems very difficult to get too and doesn’t seem to take you anywhere. In fact it would be useful if you were well down 8 and wanted to head to Col Alt without twisting through Corvara. If the link 8->5 was open, which it hasn’t been all week. Unsurprisingly the only company down there was a very bored looking liftie, it’s a fairly select group prepared to find the bottom station. Does red 4 (only accessible this way) avoid the road at L’Murin? I still don’t know. Anyway the reason I didn’t head there was because I was going to Boe then the wee magic carpet then Vallon. If you’re staying local, do the best runs, and last time I was up here, it was snowing. At the top 2550m, there’s this in your face:

Then you get this around the first corner when you start skiing:

The ski back to Corvara is 1010m vertical on black then red. Very nice, especially as I only saw about a dozen people.

Quickest route back to La Villa is Costes the yellow, Col Alt, Braia Fraida the big way and Bamby (unless you want to pole a sticky flat blue instead of partaking of the majestic Gran Risa again). This time it was perfectly softened but I stopped for a breather 1/2 way down rather than groaning my way down the final stretch.

As I walked upstairs to the room, my daughter rang asking if she could come home after lunch.

After further fruitless searches, we got a new keycard.

Got Mr Voms + skis in the car, went to San Cass to pick her up, tried to drop off the rental equipment only to realise that everything is shut for lunch so go back to hotel. Can see the lost keycard on the floor of the garage, right under where the boot was a few hours ago. rolling eyes

Daughter admits the main reason she wanted to come home was that the only other classmate was a 7 yo who was super enthusiastic about the downhills but “seemed clueless about getting on lifts”. Plus he “skied into my bottom really hard, wouldn’t apologise until the instructor made him, then moaned his nose hurt”

Lessons must have been good. She went from “I can’t turn left , this blue is too steep “ to “we did a black run this morning “ her speed trap speeds were 21, 31, 41 then 48 kph. Speed isn’t everything but she like being in control and is generally to be found loitering if she can get away with it.

The forecast was rain from 2pm but in fact it only turned up about 6, persuading the unwell child to get pushed under the shelter while our man chat continued.

The father and son view

He continues to slowly improve and we’ve all got fingers crossed that it doesn’t spread.

2pm rain vs 6pm makes quite a difference to a day. Onward forecast is for the FL to drop and for it to be snowing when we waken. Not that enticing after our journey here.

Alta Badia seem to have given up reporting which runs are open so the final weekend will be a lucky dip. There really hasn’t been that much shut yet; local fun parks, Armentarola, the runs down Badia valley to Santa Croce, very top of 17, 8-5 link, most annoyingly La Fraina then run 12, couple of other links to 11 are now gone, and a few small chairs + all the surface tows there’s no need use anyway.

Overall thoughts; it’s a toss up whether La Villa is a PITA as it’s so far off the SR or if it’s the best kept secret of Alta Badia with it’s unphotogenic town but fabulous runs to base (my son tells me the red is his favourite run in Alta Badia). It’s a conundrum. This hotel, with it’s minibus runs to La Villa and the much more convenient for travel by ski Corvara might be ideal.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 8-04-22 23:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@albob, pics are from an iPhone 12
snow report
@what...snow, utterly wonderful thread, thank you so much. Hope vom boy is better!
snow conditions
Loving this, Corvara is likely to be one place we visit next season. All the info very welcome.
ski holidays
@what...snow, fantastic daily reports, thanks, I was there two weeks ago and had a great time, your added snow must have made it wonderful.
Safe journey home, hope Mr Vomm is ok.
snow report
Fantastic
snow conditions
@what...snow, really enjoyed reading all this, thanks. Looked fabulous. Sorry if i have missed a hotel name but which place are you recommending in your overall summary a few posts up? I have flights to VCE next january and trying to decide whether to pick a Sella Ronda base which isn't Arabba for once (6 of us)
latest report
Awoke to heavy snow but obviously the overnight rain had only turned to snow fairly recently. Could just about see the road was black, at least. Rolled over & went back to sleep

Snowing but less, then a last leisurely breakfast, and the sun started to melt the falling snow.

Last view of Sassongher, at the back of the hotel

5c once out the garage, light snow, 4c at Corvara, 0c over Campolungo to Arabba. Sat Nav tried another sneaky attempt to lure me to Falzarego but we turned right down, down down a road with many hairpins and a magnificent view of Civetta. Straightforward route to Belluno through magnificent scenery, except the car bonged so much I had to stop and work out it was out of Adblue. Filled that up and it binged a bit less but did still regularly and randomly take offence to my speed and lane etiquette. Got on the motorway and we were treated to a massive storm with loads of lightning, very heavy sleet and rain, all the way to Treviso.

Child is now back eating, all of us remain well. Got through bags and security super fast, nothing like the chaos in MAN.

The lovely hotel is:
https://www.hotelcristallo-altabadia.it/en

Which I definitely recommend unless you have a just <16 who will strongly feel they are missing out on the outdoor swimming & adult wellness experience. The <16 section is def not as nice.

Or you feel you must ski in/out. The minibus takes about 5 minutes to Piz La Ila gondola, a slope by Doninz or Boe/Borest. This week the waiting was almost nil but I guess it might not be as quick if everything was busier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy