Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there a Chateau Whistler equivalent in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, or if it is a stupid ask.

Pre-pandemic, I went skiing in Whistler most years, staying at the fantastic Chateau Whistler hotel.

I'd love to find somewhere equivalent in Europe if it exists. I am essentially looking for a hotel which:
Is ski-in-ski-out
Has an outdoor heated jacuzzi and/or swimming pool, where you can have apres-ski drinks
Has a spa with good massages
Has a decent enough range of runs, with fairly dependable snow around Christmas
Has easy ski hire/ storage
Doesn't cost more than £400 a night maximum (but ideally less)
Not dangerously cold, even at Christmas time
Has good enough food options (ideally as we are looking to go as a group, it would be full board or all inclusive, but not a deal breaker)
A ten minute walk from a town with some things to do (bars/ restaurants/ shops), or has a shuttle service.

Does it exist in Europe? If so, I'd really appreciate any ideas, as I'm struggling to find anything close Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find anything resembling the Fairmont in Europe - it's such a a unique hotel, in a unique location ...

There are hotels in Courchevel which might fit the bill but they are extortionately expensive.

My recommendations for you to have a look at and obtain quotes are :

- Coeur des Alpes in Zermatt (not ski in / ski out but very close to the Matterhorn Express)
- The Chedi in Andermatt
- the W in Verbier
- Hotel Mottaret in Mottaret
- Aurelio in Lech

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just looked at Chateau Whistler prices for January 2023....500-600 pounds...Christmas probably much higher.....Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franga, The Aurelio at 400 pounds? Hilarious!
Apart from that it does not have outdoor pool, whilst the nearby Hotel Arlberg***** does. But again, not nearly at 400 pounds....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergland in Solden? Not quite ski in ski out but fairly close.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With the caveat that some of your criteria are perhaps mutually exclusive, I will suggest the
Kaiserhof in Ellmau, part of Ski Welt:
https://www.kaiserhof-ellmau.at/en/

There are a variety of room options, so your cost criteria is going to depend on when you
want to go and how picky you are about rooms.

It does not really meet the criteria of walkable to town, as it's a bit up the hill. Also Ski Welt
is lower in altitude, so snow at Christmas may be a bit dicey. But food and drink are excellent,
and Ski Welt is big enough to last a week. It is one of the few ski-in/ski-out hotels in Europe
that I have come across.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franga wrote:
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find anything resembling the Fairmont in Europe - it's such a a unique hotel, in a unique location ...

There are hotels in Courchevel which might fit the bill but they are extortionately expensive.

My recommendations for you to have a look at and obtain quotes are :

- Coeur des Alpes in Zermatt (not ski in / ski out but very close to the Matterhorn Express)
- The Chedi in Andermatt
- the W in Verbier
- Hotel Mottaret in Mottaret
- Aurelio in Lech

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Thanks for the really helpful suggestions.

I recognise a few on the list as ultra modern spa hotels, which will probably be a bit too expensive at that time of year (I think the Chedi was like 1k a night when I last looked) but there are a few there I haven't looked into. Will definitely feed back if I find anything.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowshoer wrote:
It is one of the few ski-in/ski-out hotels in Europe
that I have come across.

There are quite a few more. To put it mildly rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Langerzug wrote:
Snowshoer wrote:
that I have come across.

There are quite a few more. To put it mildly rolling eyes Puzzled rolling eyes

Sorry, I meant to put 5* ski-in/ski-out. Does that help Very Happy ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Langerzug wrote:
@franga, The Aurelio at 400 pounds? Hilarious!
Apart from that it does not have outdoor pool, whilst the nearby Hotel Arlberg***** does. But again, not nearly at 400 pounds....

Well, I do try my best to help people and occasionally make them laugh ... unlike others ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Langerzug wrote:
Just looked at Chateau Whistler prices for January 2023....500-600 pounds...Christmas probably much higher.....Puzzled

Ouch. I go in late Feb-early March, and it was around £360 a night.

Also, if you book through the website, you often get something like 9 days for the price of 7, or 7 for the price of 6, plus 10% off for creating an account.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@franga, none of the hotels you mentioned come at 400 pounds at Christmas. Not nearly
Helpful?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowshoer wrote:
Langerzug wrote:
Snowshoer wrote:
that I have come across.

I can think of 9 ski-in/out***** just in Lech-Zürs already.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Langerzug wrote:
Snowshoer wrote:
Langerzug wrote:
Snowshoer wrote:
that I have come across.

I can think of 9 ski-in/out***** just in Lech-Zürs already.

First off, you're quite right, I forgot about Oberlech.

Secondly, though, with all the knowledge you seem to have, you seem content to merely critique other
posters who are trying to help the OP. Not nearly helpful as you could be?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mdski22, have you considered a luxury catered chalet?
snow report
@mdski22, I'm not entirely sure if you're a wind-up merchant or not. Virtually any hotel in the Alps charging €400+ a night will have spa/massage and ski hire/storage options. The range of runs and snow reliability are not the responsibility of the hotel. A €400 a night hotel without good food options is not a €400 a night hotel, same goes for 10 minutes walk to town and/or a shuttle service. Simply put, if you can't find a luxury ski hotel in the Alps, the very home of luxury ski hotels, you really aren't looking very hard at all.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 31-03-22 10:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I’d never heard of Chateau Whistler but looking at the website it does seem to be a very North American thing. A huge high end resort hotel with all the amenities. High end in bulk, not luxury and exclusive.

I don’t know all of the Alps but hotels in Europe do tend to be big and cheaper or small and exclusive/expensive. (/waits for inevitable posting of exceptions)

But I’m sure you’d find something. For example stayed here in Flaine pre covid https://en.terminalneigetotem.com/

Not 5 star but ticks most of your boxes. Spa/hot tub outside, ski in/out, own ski hire, in the village (but it’s a very quiet village), food was decent but not high end and not the multiple options you get in an enormous place.

But if you want the same style of hotel the only place I know close is Disneyland Paris! And you’d need to compromise on the ski in/ski out a bit to stay there!!!!
snow report
Alpine Palace in Hinterglemm is the closest thing I've seen resembling a Fairmont monstrosity.

But Lech-Zurs are all over this sort of thing, there's 5 stars like the Koh i Noor in Val T in most French resorts etc.
ski holidays
@Snowshoer,
What I’m saying is: 5 stars at 400 pounds at Christmas is nonsense.
In the Rockies ánd the Alps.
snow conditions
@mdski22, I am sure you can find something that ticks all your boxes but not at your budget!
latest report
@Langerzug, you may think it’s nonsense, but it’s reality. If they want to spend the money it’s really none of your concern. They aren’t looking for you to judge them.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, think the point being made is that 5 stars at Christmas will cost significantly more than £400 a night.
latest report
check also the 5* Hotels in Saalbach, Obergurgl, Hochsölden (if there is one there), and definitve Zürs

But £400 at night...is that pro person? if yes, then you will find something. But if you mean pro Room/night for 2 Adults, then i dont think so....

definitely the Stock resort in Finkenber... 300m from the Gondel....
snow report
The Four Seasons would be Whistler's 5*.
Of course it's Canada so don't expect Michelin starred dining, although you will be able to eat way earlier than in the Alps wink

In Sölden I like the Central and Vaya, both of which are excellent & fancy, although they are Austrian of course.
Other places there's no shortage of fancy hotels, but they may be more expensive than Canada,
but if you include the costs of getting there, then that's perhaps not so important.

Snow is a different issue. Whistler is probably more reliable than anywhere in the Alps early season, these days.
latest report
@Scooter in Seattle, what @Dr John says
snow conditions
By the way, I’m with @Dr John too in suspecting the OP is a wind-up merchant.
His/her remarks on rates don’t match rates on the hotel’s website at all.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 31-03-22 11:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Try ClubMed? https://www.clubmed.co.uk/

Fully inclusive (including lift passes, ski school etc), Most of their hotels are ski in/Ski out, good food, Ski hire on site and have Spas/Swimming pools. They have some 5* options but that does tend to get expensive!

A good example to look at would be the ones in Les Arcs (Peisey-Vallandry or Les Arc Panorama)
latest report
skitrack wrote:
Try ClubMed? https://www.clubmed.co.uk/

Fully inclusive (including lift passes, ski school etc), Most of their hotels are ski in/Ski out, good food, Ski hire on site and have Spas/Swimming pools. They have some 5* options but that does tend to get expensive!

A good example to look at would be the ones in Les Arcs (Peisey-Vallandry or Les Arc Panorama)

I did look at Club Med (stayed at their Val D'isere hotel before) but their dates don't really work. To stay over Christmas, you have to fly back on Boxing Day, which doesn't really sound like a relaxing Christmas break.

To be fair, I didn't quite appreciate how much more hotels charge over Christmas, as I typically go away in Feb/March avoiding school holidays. Might be back to the drawing board with my budget.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I typically go away in Feb/March avoiding school holidays

That's a much better idea. Christmas is dark, short days, expensive and crowded. And too early in the season to be sure of good snow. New Year is marginally less dark,, marginally more likely to have good snow, but markedly more expensive and crowded.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
The Four Seasons would be Whistler's 5*.
Of course it's Canada so don't expect Michelin starred dining, although you will be able to eat way earlier than in the Alps wink

In Sölden I like the Central and Vaya, both of which are excellent & fancy, although they are Austrian of course.
Other places there's no shortage of fancy hotels, but they may be more expensive than Canada,
but if you include the costs of getting there, then that's perhaps not so important.

Snow is a different issue. Whistler is probably more reliable than anywhere in the Alps early season, these days.

The Four Seasons is Whistler's 5* resort, but I prefer the vibe at Chateau Whistler (a 4* hotel).

For my perfect ski holiday, I don't need a hotel to have a Michelin star restaurant, or beautiful spa facilities, or be ultra modern. I have found a few hotels closer to the Four Seasons in Europe, albeit at 2-3 times the price. But the overall vibe and experience of Chateau Whistler is hard to replicate. They a good atmosphere in the bar with live music and in the pool without being at all rowdy, the hotel personally drives you and collects you from restaurants around the village for free and the whole hotel doesn't feel at all pretentious despite its location.

Having read through the helpful comments again, I think my main priorities are:
1. Ski-in-ski-out at a relatively Christmas-snow-sure location (although appreciate this cannot be guaranteed)
2. An outdoor pool/ jacuzzi, where I can have some Apres in a fun relaxed atmosphere
3. Have access to some decent entertainment, so either in close proximity to a buzzy enough town (again can just be some bars, doesn't need to be clubs), or have a hotel bar with a bit of life to it/ some music.
4. Having access to a good sports massage would be a bonus, but not essential (again, it wouldn't need to be a 5* spa experience)

Will take a look through the really helpful suggestions, then decide whether to lift my budget, or go away in January.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 31-03-22 14:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I typically go away in Feb/March avoiding school holidays

That's a much better idea. Christmas is dark, short days, expensive and crowded. And too early in the season to be sure of good snow. New Year is marginally less dark,, marginally more likely to have good snow, but markedly more expensive and crowded.

Fair point. I'm going to Whistler at the end of February, so I could feasibly go in the first half of January, but would ideally leave a couple of months between the two.
ski holidays
Try Cœur des Alpes in Zermatt. Family run fabulous place including an outdoor hot tub with views of the Matterhorn
https://e.coeurdesalpes.ch/reservations
snow report
@Langerzug, @Dr John, fair point though I think possible in US. Apologies, I’ve landed in Paris and am a mess, should’ve stayed the hell out of this!
ski holidays
mdski22 wrote:
But the overall vibe and experience of Chateau Whistler is hard to replicate. They a good atmosphere in the bar with live music and in the pool without being at all rowdy, the hotel personally drives you and collects you from restaurants around the village for free and the whole hotel doesn't feel at all pretentious despite its location.

You're not going to replicate the same vibe somewhere else because a) It won't be Canada and b) specifically it won't be Whistler. I don't think there is anything that special about the CW other than it's a large hotel at the foot of the slopes in a sub village of its own but the combination of relaxed Canadian attitude plus a bit of relative isolation probably make it a bit more convivial than one where half the guests are still going to be hammering it at apres bars etc. I've always been fairly neutral about where I did apres in Whistler usually depending on what my companions wanted but certainly wouldn't be beholden to the hotel bar.

I sorta get the dilemma though - too high end and perhaps you lose some conviviality, too low end and there's a risk of too much rabble, though I think in practice this is rare provided you avoid sH bashes wink
snow report
@mdski22, what about Badrutt's Palace in St Moritz? Should tick most of your boxes
ski holidays
£400 a night eh?

Takes me back to a brilliant week of road tripping, fantastic snow and epic skiing at 3 Vallees, Espace Killy and Les Arcs - when we based ourselves in the (now gone?) Hotel Formule 1 in Albertville Laughing
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, Laughing You could do quite well at the Ibis Budget in Sallanches. I can't begin to imagine spending £400 a night on a hotel.
latest report
Quote:
You could do quite well at the Ibis Budget in Sallanches
Laughing Is that one fairly new? I don't think it was there the two or three times we stayed at the 'full-blown' Ibis in Sallanches for skiing at Combloux and Chamonix Puzzled But I'm fairly sure we did stay in an Ibis Budget in Maurienne for a great trip round lesser known (and quieter) ski areas between Christmas and New Year one year.

Then there's the Ibis Budget in Albertville, which is great when we're en-route to Espace Killy after a late arrival into GVA. They do really good value breakfasts too wink
ski holidays
Ski-in/ski-out to Sallanches and Albertville? Are you talking about the last ice age?
ski holidays
@mdski22, the Koh-i Nor in Val Thorens https://www.hotel-kohinor.com/en/ has everything you've asked for. Well within your budget in low/mid season weeks but not much more for Xmas if you book early enough. Currently on booking.com at £3,492 for Dec 24-31, so £490/night.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy