Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Fastening- Go Sloppy!!

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst in Selva the week before last, I reckoned that I was well overdue a freshen up lesson. Oss, a senior instructor at the Selva Ski School has become a friend over the years, one of the best skiers I've ever seen and the guy who taught me to carve many years ago.

The 3hr lesson focused largely on central balance, more flex and pole plant laziness, but here's the shocker. Stop cranking the boot buckles up! Shocked Oss explained that the bottom two buckles should be snug and the top two inc. the powerstrap loose to permit ankle flex. He went as far to say that as an exercise, try skiing with the top two and powerstrap completely undone. Shocked
Skiing with the top two buckles and strap loose did feel odd at first, but it did allow for greater articulation of the ankle. This lead to quicker edge to edge in short radius turns.

After much googling, the slack boot style doesn't appear to be widely promoted. The lesson was on the last day of the trip, so I'll have to now wait until next season to explore it's benefits further.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 30-03-22 13:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...gets popcorn
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, hahah, indeed. So here's mine 1/2p worth.

@Mollerski, a well know exercise for fore/aft balance, but not recommended for general skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Walking around balancing a book on your head, may improve deportment, but if you do it all the time people will start to snigger - probably openly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ankle flex is SO important for skiing. It all starts from there and if your ankles aren't flexed the rest of your body won't be in the right place.

Warren smith has an instructive video
http://youtube.com/v/vBR2e_4kJlU

But Jennifer Parker really gets the point across here from 46s in!
http://youtube.com/v/v8XmJeERKzA
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, Yep popcorn at the ready. Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
great for an exercise in order to improve, not great for day to day skiing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another great exercise to improve your balance is to ditch the skis and get a board.

Just sayin' Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WindOfChange wrote:
Another great exercise to improve your balance is to ditch the skis and get bored.

Just sayin' Smile

Corrected. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mollerski, did he not explain that (it sounds like) this was a specific requirement and exercise for you to allow leg flexion and to practise it because this was something you needed to do better?

Personally, while I can ski around with all my buckles undone - as an exercise (it's pretty well known) - I much prefer them nice and tight.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mollerski, is he also a local knee surgeon a bit short on patients?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
@Mollerski, is he also a local knee surgeon a bit short on patients?

Very Happy

I can understand for some drills, but, well, that's what the flex of your boot is for, to let you flex your ankle !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll often ski the first lap or two not properly clipped but it's usually because I've forgotten to clip them up after the initial loose put on rather than some god-like drill skill.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiing with buckles undone is also a good test of boot-fit, you'll only be able to do it well with a good fitting boot. If you are relying on the buckle tension to hold your foot in place then the boot doesn't fit properly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I remember doing that drill in the days of rental rear entry boots - and falling out the back of them!
snow conditions
As a balance exercise skiing with the buckles undone is great, as a habitual way to ski, not so much. If that was the way to go why are all racers in 150 flex boots with booster straps cranked?
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
Oss explained that the bottom two buckles should be snug and the top two inc. the powerstrap loose to permit ankle flex.

If you have the bottom two buckles "snug" i.e., tight you will have circulation issues and cold feet. If you have the second buckle down loose then your ankle and boot won't be held together and the boot will be less responsive. So if that is what Oss said and you interpreted it correctly I would respectfully disagree. You want the foot held firmly in the boot whilst retaining good circulation.

Mollerski wrote:
He went as far to say that as an exercise, try skiing with the top two and powerstrap completely undone.

I've never done but I have heard of this being done as an exercise. Easily googled. But it is an exercise. It is potentially dangerous and should be done on an easy slope. You shouldn't ski with boots like that all the time.

Disclaimer: I am not instructor like Oss.

A couple of threads I got from googling:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-newly-discovered-love-of-skiing-with-buckles-undone.20078/
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/skiing-with-boots-undone.14607/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy