Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shin bang

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, got back from our last days skiing Friday and back to the hotel and after pushing it quite hard I went to shower and noticed by sight a huge lump about the size of a half tennis ball on the front of each shin. Never noticed this before and no pain, well not compared to normal anyway!. Is this something anyone else has had and is it usually a boot issue or skills / technique?, my boots are Salomon xwave 8.0 and probably at least 15 years old. The weather was so hot last week I was starting the day with all buckles on first notch and ending with uppers on 5th and lower on 3 or 4 and still getting a good bit of heel lift and foot movement.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well…a few thoughts…half tennis ball sounds pretty extreme…I’d be a bit concerned. I’ve had things that size but only after I’ve had a big incident with a flat pedal on a mountain or DH bike…

They are great shape/last boots and I had loads of them. But 15 year old boots will have very tired liners. The 8.0s also are very soft flex. How heavy are you and what sort of skiing were you doing?

It takes quite a bit of trauma to disturb the bone sheath or soft tissue in the manner suggested. Have the swellings gone down?

Full Tilt boots are an excellent antidote to shin bang - and quite a few of the wide last (104mm) models still available while K2 rebrands and sorts the models. But at the minimum you could do with new liners….
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very Happy yeah I’ve certainly had a bear trap pedal swing round and smack me before!. I was ok all week and then pushed a few reds on the last day and that was the only time I saw the swelling in both shins. There was no bruising and it was down within a few hours...looked super weird though.
Had the boots fitted at Lockwoods but they had those heat mouldable liners, my feet just change so much through the day and there was so much movement in them by the mid afternoon I don’t know if it’s the end of them and look at new ones or hire some rentals in Arosa next week. I’m a solid unit 5’9” 16 stone which is probably a good 3 or 4 more than when they were fitted.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks …that’s good background.

I think you’re suffering from running out of flex in the boot - often called ‘blowing through the flex…’. That’s where the boot runs right through the travel of the upper cuff and bangs up against the lower section … bang! Your weight means you need a higher flex than the x wave 8,0 I am sure.

CEM might be along with a confirmation or other take.

The shells also will flex more in these mad high temps.

That does mean not wasting cash on new liners but getting a stronger/higher flex boot with more progression in the flex.

Of course a proper boot fit for width would be more than useful but going to a 110 to 120 would be good - including a flex 10 Full Tilt. Of course flex is notoriously variable from manufacturer to manufacturer - so a good fitter will sort you properly depending on which model and make you select.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 27-03-22 21:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ollski2.0, I’m a similar height to you but about 4 stone lighter and had X-wave 8.0 as my previous boots. I think they may have been about right when I bought them but maybe a bit worn by the time I upgraded. CEM put me in 110 flex Salomons.

I reckon too soft for you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yeah think you're all right. I started with the Nordica's in Arosa which were great for an hour or two when I finally got them on my feet but then christ they squashed every part of my feet to unusable lengths so I swapped for the atomics which were virtually perfect, maybe a little stretching if i buy some and some insoles but no more shin problems
[img] /img]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I’m a similar height to you but about 4 stone lighter

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy