Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Glaciar

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all = read about a few places zermatt, and some places in Norway. Has anyone been snowboarding anywhere in Europe in June? Was it worth it? I've only just got back and not sure if can wait till next year! But earliest I can go is June due to work Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I've ridden Zermatt and a couple of places in Norway and one or two other places.
Exactly which are open and when varies so google's your friend there.

Perhaps it's obvious, but most of those places you'll only want to ride in a timeslot between when it softens up in the morning and when it turns to absolute schmoo in the afternoon. Snowboards are better in sloppy conditions, so you have a slightly broader window than skiers, but even so you're going to need to do something else in the afternoons. The Norwegian places (Stryn, somewhere else) were pretty bland with no real interesting slopes and little base infrastructure at that time of year. Somewhere like Zermatt's better as there's more to do when you're not riding the slopes. Back in the day at least Tignes was a better bet that all those as it had at least a few moguls to play on, not sure if that stuff still works now it's warmer.

Overall "summer skiing" is kind of a laugh if you've never done it, but it's probably not something most people will do on a regular basis because novelty aside it's not that great.

I do quite often ride glaciers in Sölden at the end of the season, which is early May rather than early June. At that time conditions vary from 15cms fresh to blue sky and sun, but even when it's warm, it's massively better than "summer skiing" in terms of snow condition and also available terrain. So catching "season's end" is vastly better than early summer ski, in my view.

Unless of course you can afford a helicopter. You can rent a seat in Iceland through mid June, and the snow conditions there are good all day at altitude, less good down at sea level but still ridable, and you have a very long day length which reduces the down-day risk. The terrain is easy (no trees) but steeper than most people will generally encounter. I've been once or twice and experienced a wide range of snow conditions, so if you don't want to pay big bucks for garbage snow, check the local conditions in advance. And don't ask how much the beer costs if you're going to drink it, as it won't help.

Iceland, June 2021
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a cool shot and excellent response. I love spring/summer skiing; many complain about the mush. I like mush, as well as warmth, good vis, empty slopes, paying less, early start leaves the afternoon open for golf or whatever, skiing next to and listening to the sound of the new slope side streams is wonderful. Yes, go somewhere, even if its the flattish glaciers like Zermatt, its still a gas. Next season, come over here in May and hit Tahoe. I think NA easily wins May vs the Alps, but then we're usually done except for boring Timberline or a snippet of Blackcomb.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have done a day at Hintertux on 1st June or end May a couple of times. It’s a bit ok a novelty but they can have up to 20km open I think. Slush by lunch time. I would only do it for more than a day if I was on racing/tech course or wanted to improve my park skills (several years too old for that….). One time we even had some fresh pow!

As @philwig says you download and do biking / pool / river activities in the afternoon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ive done Tignes I wouldbt waste my time again. I'd rather ride my MTB and wait till winter
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Andy_Mac,
New Zealand, Chile, Argentina?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tried L2A last summer and there was some runs for a day or two max but the amount of national teams training, mainly teenagers, made the queues ridiculously long and not worth the hassle. The MTB trails did look amazing over there though.

Some people are complimentary about Warren Smith cervinias summer courses, might give it a go this year.

In regards of MTB instead of summer skiing, for me unless you are local to somewhere hilly with decent downhill trails to the ride in the UK, MTB won’t “substitute” skiing, even if it’s a couple of blue short runs, I still would choose skiing every time…
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking at the current state of the Tignes Glacier I don't think it's going to be in great shape for summer skiing this year. It's been a pretty meagre season for snow so they won't have much to work with over the summer. I wonder if other European glaciers are in a similar state...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mother hucker wrote:
ive done Tignes I wouldbt waste my time again. I'd rather ride my MTB and wait till winter

In contrast, we have skied many times on European glaciers in June and have loved every trip. For the record, we've been to Tignes, Hintertux Pitztal, Kaunertal, Soelden, Kaprun and Stubai.

I suppose it all boils down to how much you enjoy being in the mountains and how much you love skiing.

If you've not tried it I would definitely recommend giving it a go. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We did a summer trip a few years ago and did a couple of days each at Hintertux, Kaprun and Stubai. By far Hintertux had the best snow and most km open.

More recently we tend just to have single day on a glacier tied into other alpine activities.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bergmeister, i go to the Alps to ride my MTB in the summer. I wouldn't want to waste my time and energy on the T bar drag lift up the grand motte relentlessly skiing the same flat runs when I could be smashing laps on my DH rig.
My love for the mountains runs deep. Winter time I'm circa 40 days skiing, summer time MTB and climbing in various different mountain ranges.
Summer glacier skiing for me just doesn't get me going.
It's a romantic idea but unless you're specifically training towards something(race training/instructor/technique course), I feel it ain't so great
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mother hucker wrote:
@Bergmeister, i go to the Alps to ride my MTB in the summer. I wouldn't want to waste my time and energy on the T bar drag lift up the grand motte relentlessly skiing the same flat runs when I could be smashing laps on my DH rig.
My love for the mountains runs deep. Winter time I'm circa 40 days skiing, summer time MTB and climbing in various different mountain ranges.
Summer glacier skiing for me just doesn't get me going.
It's a romantic idea but unless you're specifically training towards something(race training/instructor/technique course), I feel it ain't so great

We love mountain biking as well (but cross country, versus downhill) and enjoy riding in the 3 Valleys in summer - not "smashing laps" like you, but smashing lungs on big climbs Toofy Grin (followed by big downhills of course wink.

Twice in 3 years (before Covid) we ski-toured in mid July at Le Fornet, Val D'Isere. It was great to enjoy (what felt like) a wilderness ski and have the place to ourselves. I appreciate that that may not be everyone's cup of tea, however.

It would be odd if we were all the same.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
now your talking of interest touring in Le Fornet. I also ride enduro but wouldn't go to the Alps to pedal up. I think the UK trails (golfie/Innerleithen/glentress)are as good as anywhere in the world when you're earning your turns.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mother hucker wrote:
now your talking of interest touring in Le Fornet. I also ride enduro but wouldn't go to the Alps to pedal up. I think the UK trails (golfie/Innerleithen/glentress)are as good as anywhere in the world when you're earning your turns.

Agreed! We love the 7 Stanes - particularly Glentress and Kirroughtree. Very Happy We also think the North York Moors takes some beating for XC riding. Then there's the Lake District... It's good to be spoiled for choice where we live Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You might want to look at “Riksgránsen” in Sweden, which is north of the arctic line. It is a long way up there, and there will be daylight for 20 hours a day, but it is quite an experience.
snow report
As Bergmeister has alluded to, it's very much a case of each to their own but I hadn't realised that summer skiing is so much of a Marmite-type topic Laughing

I have skied loads of glaciers outside the winter season and love summer skiing.

In my opinion, Tignes is simply the best for easy access in summer, given the early start that's required.

My idea of a perfect summer's day is a 6am alarm on a clear morning; a seven minute trip up the Grande Motte funicular; and skiing deserted, perfectly groomed pistes from the top of the cable car not long after 7am. There's 600m vertical if the Vanoise Chair is running and the black run from the top is steep enough for most people's liking. Even on the hottest day, you can get a decent 3 hours in before the lower runs get too mushy. You've then got the rest of the day to enjoy all the other mountain activities.

We've even skied powder in July.

I can't see what's not to like wink
ski holidays
Quote:

deserted, perfectly groomed pistes from the top of the cable car not long after 7am

That wasn't my experience of Tignes..... the queue for the first trains up was massive, lots of race camp kids. And long queues at the T bars too, generally, and sharp elbowed kids who needed stomping on. I still enjoyed it - it's very special up there - but I was having lessons. I wouldn't go just to potter around. I've done L2A too, also having lessons. And the little Italian racers, such competitive irritating hot shots pushing their way into the lifts (and trying to push each other off the T bars, were very sweet in their summer frocks and shorts, down in the warm sunshine in the afternoon.

But that was a few years ago - the glaciers have suffered so much. Summer skiing probably doesn't have much of a future.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy