Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiring a specific ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What are the chances of being able to hire a specific ski in a resort shop?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always found they are quite happy to help you with specific requests if they carry rental stock of it.

Whether you'd get a remote response to request prior to going there I've not tried.

Usually they let me look through the racks to see what they have though. Obviously they want you as a customer, but sometimes they've made suggestions as to which shops may have an item, even competitor store.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trivial in Canada, pick what you want, rent it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne, If they have it, 100%? If they don't, 0% ...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like down to the serial number? Pretty close to zero.

If you want a common model of a generic type of ski commonly held in rental/demo fleets then a lot better if you're prepared to trawl around town - I'm thinking a Head Titan or a Black Crows Atris might be easy enough to find
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All right smart guys.

What I'm really asking is after doing a bit of research and having say a couple of skis in mind did anyone successfully try before you bought?

My missus skis suffered a terminal illness on the last trip. She has a back up ski for Easter trip to Les Menuires but has been looking at potential new skis and I was wondering whether it would be possible to hire them to try.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Layne, really, depends on the fleet. Les Menuires, if Rossi or Dynastar, maybe, Kastle or anything exotic, probs not.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A lot depends on the resort, with bigger/valley generally being better in this case.

The main thing will be accepting some time spent trudging around town taking to the different shops rather than skiing - something they won't have time for Saturday/Sunday, so just hire something suitable for those days. Come 10am Monday those same shops will be empty so staff able to spend more time with you. Also if you're thinking of buying in resort while you're there (as opposed to just trying, then buying online when you get home) look for shops that to sales as well as hire and tell them that. Many will often have some trial versions of their retail skis they'll let you borrow for a fee that's then knocked off the purchase price if you buy a pair.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For me the problem has usually been getting the right length. Some ski hire places will stock a massive range of skis, but supplying each length within each range is a different issue. Fine if you're about 5ft 9, otherwise there isn't much choice once you've specified the type and length of ski.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't need to hire day 1 - was thinking she could do some enquiries beforehand and go in of an evening Monday/Tuesday to chat/sort.

Need to book accommodation first!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hired from Intersport Glacier in Zermatt a couple of years ago and you could choose online the specfic ski you wanted to rent from their rental range, rather than just a class/level of ski. The Zermatt rental places seemed to do this, but at a premium over just specifying Platinum/Gold/Silver etc.

If I remember correctly Snowberry in Val D'Isere on my previous trip also let you select your specific ski when booking online.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have hired where you could pick a ski - but the small print said that if the ski wasn't available, something equivalent would be provided.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, depends on the resort. As another poster said, Snowberry in Val d'Isere have a great range of new season's skis and they are all on their website. You can definitely reserve a specific ski - i have done it with them on many occasions.

In other resorts, I have telephoned in advance and checked out which rental shop has the ski and size I am looking for. They have been very happy to reserve them when I have done this and they have them as part of their stock. The problem I have found is that the manufacturers sometimes make slightly different models for the rental market as for the customer retail market. I know Head do this. It confuses the issue when you are trying to find skis to demo before you buy. It is worth ringing around and speaking to the rental shops. I find some deal with specific manufacturers so they will only have the range of sizes in a limited number of models.

For demo-ing skis to decide which to buy - I found it invaluable using Snowberry in this regard. They reall are a one off. Read their website. I don't know if there are other rental business like them in other resorts but it was great having a proper trial to get to understand the differences between the various skis. I skied on about 8 different skis over 6 weeks. It was a lot of fun.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy