Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jaffa and a Cuppa and Gaffa (Gaffer) tape - what do you use it for?….

Poster: A snowHead
Well the ‘what should I cover my holes with…’ thread spawned a discussion of GAFFER tape…

I have 1001 uses of it.

Headlight deflectors - much the best way of doing it.
ID tape on poles.
On the holes in glove fingers from grabbing edges
And many many more.

And you lot?………
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slap a tubigrip on then use it to hold your kneecap in place when you've f'd your knee again. Kinesiostrapping is for pussies.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blimey…that’s Rule 5 writ large….

That’s a good point DOTM - we have used it on the hill to close nasty wounds - big one in a forehead which wouldn’t stop bleeding after a fall on ice in some loose shattered morraine. Works a treat. Doesn’t half pull when the A&E team try to get it off later, though. Sort of industrial scale and strength ‘steristrip’….
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
on gloves as a preemptive measure for edge cuts as above
on trousers with edge cut until I have a chance to patch them
on trousers with a combat pocket zip fail
on ski poles as a touring/traverse grip
on a ski boot where the buckle disintegrated
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone use this for impromptu injury containment?

https://www.hopevalleysaddlery.co.uk/healthcare/first-aid/vetset-wraptec-100mm-x-45m-cohesive-bandage-in-black__47181

Very effective and not usually expensive, we carry it for general purpose, improvised hold of any bandaging etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We repaired a tent with it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Covering anything that lights up in a hotel room at night that cant be unplugged, gaps around doors and curtains to stop light getting in.

On a jacket to cover edge cuts
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dr John, …that’s what we are talkin’ about…
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski3, interesting….
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had some in my hand luggage,got pulled for it at Manchester airport security,it's got a metallic surface and the security camera image looked dodgy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Across your nose and cheeks as Adam Ant makeup/Beijing Winter Olympics style frostbite protection. (To be fair I used zinc tape which is often the patrollers' choice for utility medicine)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
valais2 wrote:
@ski3, interesting….

We were horse sitting for someone and they used this on many applications, very stretchy mesh fabric with low tack rubber-ish coating. It only "tacks" to itself, so you have to get an initial wrap to secure it and then carry on to add support or secure a dressing etc to person. Doesn't pull the hairs out when removing either Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ski3, ...I think that qualifies as a Top Tip....excellent
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Endless uses - patching the boat cover, holding glass fibre components together whilst gluing, repairing storage boxes.

I was amused last autumn when I discovered that the heating engineers had used it when installing our replacement heat pump. We now have duct tape securing insulation around the ventilation ducts...which is where the name comes from, of course.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

We now have duct tape securing insulation around the ventilation ducts...which is where the name comes from, of course

Well yes and no.

Duct tape is a heatproof kind of Duck Tape, which is a waterproof fabric backed tape made from duck cotton... and I've got a wallet made from it. Of course duct tape, or indeed duck tape shouldn't be onfused with gaffer tape which is specifically formulated to be reappliable and leave no residue on surfaces.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

We now have duct tape securing insulation around the ventilation ducts...which is where the name comes from, of course

Well yes and no.

Duct tape is a heatproof kind of Duck Tape, which is a waterproof fabric backed tape made from duck cotton... and I've got a wallet made from it. Of course duct tape, or indeed duck tape shouldn't be onfused with gaffer tape which is specifically formulated to be reappliable and leave no residue on surfaces.

Thank you Did not know that.
ski holidays
oh no....this has got me to delve into the history of duct/duck tape....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

yet more obsessive meanderings.....
latest report
PORTMAN wrote:
I had some in my hand luggage,got pulled for it at Manchester airport security,it's got a metallic surface and the security camera image looked dodgy

Actually had a roll taken off me by airport security, as "it could be used as a restraint". True I guess, but so could a half decent boot lace or a belt.
snow report
Holding together a few bits of just about every clubman race car or bike I've ever seen, hence the name 'hundred mile an hour tape'.
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, …very good point…or on the 917s at Sebring, 200mph tape…

http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashphotos_view.php?page=view&editid1=5114
snow conditions
Well this one is an interesting one. Duct taping your face….

http://blog.sarahlaurence.com/2015/02/is-it-cold-enough-to-duct-tape-your-face.html
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
@midgetbiker, …very good point…or on the 917s at Sebring, 200mph tape…

http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashphotos_view.php?page=view&editid1=5114

That may really be "high speed tape" from aero industry. There's a purely aluminium foil tape with very, very sticky adhesion used on the outside of aircraft fuselage to secure the edges of inspection panels etc from airstream ingress. Could be plain aluminium coloured, white, military green (you can guess the origins) and a friends father that flew as flight engineer from days of 707 always had a few rolls with him. He'd tape inspection hatches leading edges etc if he felt the securing method was unreliable after doing walk round technical inspection in pre flight prep. Safe in subsonic speed flight.

In a similar way "Heli" tape (often used in mtb frame protection) I think is a mylar base original formulated for leading edge protection on composite structure helicopter rotor blades. It prevents them being shot blasted by grit and propagating surface imperfections in field of use.

Not Duct tape specifically, but interesting properties.

In F1 currently they tape the body seams to improve aero disturbance on critical facing areas.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy