Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Car Rental for Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
We are travelling to Val Thorens on 16th April and I would like to rent a car from Geneva. Couple of questions:

Is it a more straightforward journey there and back if I hire from the Swiss side? Have read it can be complicated particularly on the return to the airport.
Will I get winter tyres if I hire from the Swiss side?

And can anyone recommend a cost effective firm to use? Seems to be very expensive.

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah Swiss car hire is more expensive, especially this season. The Swiss side is easier, you'll get winter tyres and a vignette.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Is it a more straightforward journey there and back if I hire from the Swiss side? Have read it can be complicated particularly on the return to the airport.

I find the Swiss side more complicated. Others find the French side. It depends on what expereince you have. If using a GPS navigation system remember to enter Freney-Voltaire as your destination to return to not Geneva Airport. You may need to purchase a vignette if you have rented from the French side. Sometimes, but not always they are in the car already.
Quote:

Will I get winter tyres if I hire from the Swiss side?

I think you will upto April 1st. After that I'm not too sure.
Quote:

And can anyone recommend a cost effective firm to use? Seems to be very expensive.

It is expensive. When we rented in January it was cheeper at the Swiss rather than the French side. Choose your own booking agent. We use Argus, but other companies are available.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the journey is really not complicated at all from either side, provided you do your homework and don't rely on satnav. Cost comparisons vary a lot - sometimes French is cheaper, but not always. If it is, and you really want to keep costs down, and are a competent navigator, getting to France through Geneva, rather than on the Swiss motorway, is not big problem though it can slow you down. Depends on your priorities. If cost is key, from what people have reported recently there's no real argument for renting in advance - wait till just before you go, which also gives you a chance to make an accurate call on how much value winter tyres will have for you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check the thread on Car Hire Discounts to see if the are any discounts currently active. Hertz are currently doing 15% off if booking before the end of March, plus free 2nd driver. You may have to join Hertz Gold Club, but that's free and has a dedicated priority desk and if you're lucky, an upgrade.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 24-03-22 10:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't see how the swiss side can be "more complicated".

Anyhoo, chums saved a load of cash by renting in Vernier, which is a 5 minute taxi from the airport.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always rent on the Swiss side, French side is such a pain to get in and out of.
Hiring: 1) go to quidco 2) take the link to holiday autos 3) book there - excellent value and I do not consider expensive
Last time round I was given a Merc from Sixt as a 'family sized car'
In winter, vehicles have always had snow tyres
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JasonOster,

That day you could travel by train from Geneva to Moutiers (£33 for 2, on The Trainline website), then Altibus from Moutiers to Val T (€11 pp one way). Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
iainm wrote:
I always rent on the Swiss side, French side is such a pain to get in and out of.
Hiring: 1) go to quidco 2) take the link to holiday autos 3) book there - excellent value and I do not consider expensive

It's currently £400 a week for a car on the Swiss side Sad . That seems expensive to me, as I paid £230 for 2 weeks rental from the French side in January.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve done both, recently. The French side is a pita, I’d happily pay a premium for the Swiss.

If you have much luggage, one problem with the French side at present is that the return route (at least in Feb) required us to carry all the bags; we couldn't take a trolley over the “border” on the return path through the airport (clearly we were t the only ones to discover this, there was a pile of abandoned trolleys beside the “border”. Since you go through a couple of sets of one-way doors, we couldn’t even shuttle the bags - we had to pick them all up in a single load and carry them together. Easy if you’re coming from your own place, harder if you’re carrying skis, boots, hold-all, flight bag etc.

On top of that you have the lack of snow tyres, lack of vignette, and more tortuous route.

The Swiss side is easy, and if you choose to walk rather than wait for this bus, it’s even easier. And you can push your trolley the whole way Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, here's the walking route from the car hire desks and shuttle bus station, to the P51 rental pick-up car park. The dotted lines are pedestrian crossings: be sure to look both ways. Part of the route goes right in front of an office building and there's a waist-high swing gate you go through, but it's not private. Note the location of the small self-service petrol station just in case you need it on the return.

I'd always recommend getting petrol elsewhere, earlier, but if you're pressed for time this is a useful last resort. Although you can get queues if it's a busy time.

Always double-check when collecting from P51 that you're also returning there: a friend of mine didn't and didn't notice that the return was to Ferney Voltaire. Apparently because the rental company predicted there wouldn't be enough room in P51 on the day. So they had to drive from P51 to FV, and get a shuttle back, and almost missed the flight. The rental company had a pre-printed map so it was obvious this wasn't just a one-off situation, although relatively uncommon.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LaForet, interesting. It always seems further when you take the shuttle bus, thus appears not walkable, especially with grumpy kids, normal bags and ski bag!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LaForet, there’s an alternative slightly easier (maybe 50m longer) route which is trolley-friendly, basically the road parallel but above your line, on the north side of the car parks. I use your route if I have a backpack, and mine if I have a load of stuff.

Follow the signs out of the car hire desks for terminal 2 (I.e. when you come out of car hire into the bus loading bay, turn diagonally right) then follow the footpath and after a few hundred metres, at terminal 2, cross the road on your left (pedestrian crossing) into the back door of the parking. Lift down a couple of floors (2 huge lifts, can get a couple of trolleys in each) and you’re right beside Avis.

@ster - tell the kids you’re racing the bus. Works every time with mine! And we always win Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, really helpful.

Why Ferney-Voltaire on GPS rather than Geneva Airport?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Why Ferney-Voltaire on GPS rather than Geneva Airport?

Because a GPS and all the road signs will take you to the international (Swiss) side of the airport. If you have a car hired on the French side, then you need a different entrance, which is in Ferney Voltaire. On the left just after you come under the runway, in a tunnel and through the French border.
ski holidays
Seems like prices have dropped. I was getting quoted some ridiculous prices for a long weekend at Easter. Enterprise now quoting £279 for a VW golf for 5 days from the Swiss side.
snow conditions
swskier wrote:
Seems like prices have dropped. I was getting quoted some ridiculous prices for a long weekend at Easter. Enterprise now quoting £279 for a VW golf for 5 days from the Swiss side.

It's worth keeping an eye on it right up until the last minute (or until the cancellation window ends). I was able to book 12 days for £145 a couple of weeks ago for a Peugeot 208, by booking the day before travel. It was from the French side, but happy to go there for that price!
snow report
@musehead, think we have a 3 day window on cancellation, so i'll check again 4 days before. Thanks for the tip.
ski holidays
I just went to update my car rental for next week to be shorter and it came back way more expensive, so I'll just leave it be !
latest report
Mine dropped significantly. Bigger car for half the price four days out.
snow report
Same here, prices have dropped off for a rental on this Saturday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy