Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speed skiing, the forgotten discipline

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
An ABC News article highlights the struggle faced by fans of the world's fastest non-motorised sport to support their passion financially. Complemented by a report in MySnowSports, a portrait of the third quickest woman on skis in history, Tracie Sachs ...

Tracie Sachs holding one of her four consecutive FIS Speed Skiing crystal globes as reigning World Champion...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, just to be controversial, making sweeping generalisations and imposing my personal world view...

Doesn't speed skiing fall into the same category as drag racing?

Terribly impressive, gonads the size of goliath, but not otherwise terribly meritous? And not attracting hordes of participants or spectators?

Therefore not terribly interesting to mass market sponsors?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, Have you ever been to a drag race? If not - go!! It's much better in the flesh than on TV (useless TV sport - same a speed skiing). Last EOSB I watched a bit of training and was ashtonished by the rate of acceleration from a pretty low start point (compared to the championship one), so although I've never watched a full race, I would imagine speed skiing is pretty exiting to watch inthe flesh (but not as good as drag racing!) Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch wrote:
PG, just to be controversial, making sweeping generalisations and imposing my personal world view...
Hey, I was on your side! Wink
David Murdoch wrote:
Doesn't speed skiing fall into the same category as drag racing?

Terribly impressive, gonads the size of goliath, but not otherwise terribly meritous? And not attracting hordes of participants or spectators?

Therefore not terribly interesting to mass market sponsors?
Fair point. As with alpine skiing, not exactly gripping for spectators who can't spot the variations in technique that make the differences of a few tenths of a second between runs. Technique certainly is important in speed skiing - I was with a group of supporters who could spot the speeds of the racers to within a couple of miles an hour before it was announced over the tannoy. Then again I wonder how the likes of Maier or Deneriaz would fare if they were to give it a go, with their tucks...

Depends how it's marketed as well - take grass skiing for example. A fast-growing sport in the Czech Republic where the national federation is pouring money in, stagnating in France where the fed provides peanuts.

But yes, there are limited possibilities for potential backers. You couldn't have speed racers coming down side by side, for example. It would always have to be against the clock, or speed gun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, sorry, I was about to be "controversial," etc. No accusation aimed at you, honest!!

And both you and Easiski make fair points. What does surprise me (just cos I hadn't thought about it) is your grass skiing comment. I must admit, having only tried it ~20 years ago at Hillend, if modern kit has improved anything like as much as skiing and roller blading, then I reckon grass skiing is overdue for a come back...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch wrote:
PG, sorry, I was about to be "controversial," etc. No accusation aimed at you, honest!!

And both you and Easiski make fair points. What does surprise me (just cos I hadn't thought about it) is your grass skiing comment. I must admit, having only tried it ~20 years ago at Hillend, if modern kit has improved anything like as much as skiing and roller blading, then I reckon grass skiing is overdue for a come back...

I know - was just thinking back to your slightly rough reception in the 'Communications in British Snowsports' thread, thought you might still have been feeling a bit tender Very Happy.

As for the grass skiing - for the bigger manufacturers to become interested in a more practical ski (less moving parts, less maintenance, etc) a threshold in terms of the number of people in the sport needs to be crossed. It's growing fast in some parts of the world, with substantial investment in countries in the Far East and Eastern Europe in particular, but a way short yet. The kit's great as it is - fast, manoeuvrable on a good (ie 'clean') piste - but mostly produced for the pro. Not so good for the amateur who just wants to mess around, go anywhere. Made in small quantities, it's not cheap. The usual obstacles, growing pains. There's a lot of competition out there from a myriad of minority sports, and with big brother alpine skiing looking down its nose at the green version, it's been a struggle at times - with certain 'interests' deliberately making it difficult - in France in particular - for the sport to grow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dick Taplin (British) has just been made the President of FIS speed skiing. FIS Speed skiing has been hampered for years by a certain gentleman with his own agenda and awkwardness...hopefully now it will be allowed to recover some of its previous profile and success. In the late 80's/early 90's, speed skiing was very popular but circumstances conspired to diminish it's subsequent exposure. People still think it's cool but most people never see it!

Nice to see people being reminded that it exists!

Cheers,

Dr Bullet

PG wrote:
An ABC News article highlights the struggle faced by fans of the world's fastest non-motorised sport to support their passion financially. Complemented by a report in MySnowSports, a portrait of the third quickest woman on skis in history, Tracie Sachs ...

Tracie Sachs holding one of her four consecutive FIS Speed Skiing crystal globes as reigning World Champion...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are who I think you are DrBullet wink, congrats on a new addition to the family? Very Happy And shame you weren't there this year, conditions were the best ever!

(Edit - just seen your other post... Smile)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrBullet, not knowing much about the politics of speedskiing, I'm intrigued: who is this "certain gentleman" and what was his agenda that hampered speed skiing? (A PM will do if you don't want to libel anyone publicly!)
I was reminded of that 80s and early 90s heyday of speedskiing earlier this season, when I was skiing at Squaw Valley with Franz Weber and Jeff Hamilton.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
After speedskiing was in the Albertville Olympics (demo only) and no other games picked it up the nail was in the coffin. A lot of us packed in after that, but at least I can say I was involved during the heyday - Weber, Hamilton, Jimbo Morgan, Ozlewski etc........happy days indeed Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy