Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What waterproof rating is this jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am buying a jacket off ebay. There are no tags on this Columbia Titanium series jacket indicating waterproof and breathability rating.

Seller is telling me 10,000mm but I want a third party opinion on this before I commit.

Does anyone know?

The inner red tag on the inside collar has the following words:
Interchange, Technique, and Homme
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jtir,

Can't be too scientific but I would EXPECT a new jacket to be well protected with a waterproof coating which will wear off and downgrade after some use. It will need to be re-proofed if that is your requirement in the mountains. Most people do not need a completley waterproof jacket so as long as it doesn't absord water if should be ok in all but a downpoor. And exepct its best performance as a waterprrof garment to inhibit its breathabilty somewhat. And because the latter is more desriable for most skiers they might sacrifice
waterproofness over breathabilty. A polycotton based fabric that is treated might attain the same kind of waterproof abilites - or close to - as Gore-tex but will then suffer breathabilty comparisons but if untreated out-performs Gore-tex in that respect. The benchmark IMV is still Gore-tex as an all-rounder but to improve of that you will have to sacrifice one or the other.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jtir, Welcome to snowHeads.

The waterproof & breathability ratings (they'll be a figure for both) for the particular model jacket should be stated on the manufacturers tags so ask the seller to take a close up pic of it. Columbia unfortunately never state the ratings in the their advertising which is a real pain. Instead they use terms like "excellent breathability" which is a useless statement to a potential buyer & often makes me suspicious that the actual ratings are quite as high as their description suggests.

I'm with JT in that I rate, for skiing, breathability way higher than waterproofing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jtir,

Almost as much as boots (well, not quite!), I’ve found that there is often some minor feature on a jacket that I know I’ll find annoying after a while which is why I never buy them by mail order. However, if you’re happy with the fit etc, I would also go for breathability over waterproofing. Sometimes the waterproofing traps moisture inside the jacket and that can be a bigger problem than a little moisture getting in from the outside.

Lots of JTs in this topic! - jtir, JT, jtr
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
10,000 isn't a lot.

3 layer Gore-Tex XCR is in the region of 45,000mm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy