Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - bye bye masks

Poster: A snowHead
I arrived in Chamonix on Sunday 13th March, just as Macron announced an end to compulsory mask-wearing, except in places like public transport. The Chamonix resort Website states that visitors will be kept safe as masks are still compulsory on enclosed lifts like gondolas and the ski bus.

Tuesday now, and I'm the only bug still wearing a mask! Literally the only mask wearer waiting for the Le Tour gondola, and on the packed, poorly ventilated bus back from Le Tour to Chamonix.

The people have spoken, I guess. I'll live with it.

I know plenty people here will rejoice at this news, but If you're a fellow masker, just know that you'll be in a tiny minority in Chamonix, and no doubt in the other resorts!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We were in St Gervais last week, and only a very few were wearing masks in gondolas. The lift attendants didn 't worry.

However the drivers of the free ski bus asked anyone who had forgotten to wear their mask.

And we weren't once asked for our Covid passes either - whereas in January we needed them in every restaurant or bar.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@The Snaw, I'm not quite sure what your point is?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@The Snaw, I'm not quite sure what your point is?

Sharing information is the point. Problem?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@The Snaw, the requirement to wear masks was removed. It's fairly public knowledge Puzzled You seem to have your own agenda however (insisting on wearing one) ... no?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the problem for @The Snaw, is the Chamonix website which, according to him/her/they, says masks required on gondolas. So, are gondolas public transport? A ski bus would be IMV, so mask still required according to the French?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, no.

The agenda is set by CdMB & Transdev not @The Snaw. It is then ignored by the public. If CdMB & Transdev aren't prepared to enforce their own rules then they shouldn't publicise them.

It was a wind up in Manchester airport a few weeks ago stood in a MASSIVE queue of mainly non mask wearers whilst the p.a. constantly looped an announcement about how everyone in the airport had to wear a mask. Either enforce or shut up.

Same here, either enforce, or abandon the rule.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@midgetbiker, masks no longer required other than on public transport.

If CdMB can’t be bothered updating their website …

No, wait, « Wearing a mask will no longer be compulsory in any place, except for public transport, where it will remain required until further notice. Wearing a mask will therefore remain necessary for access to "closed" ski lifts (cable cars, funiculars, etc.).« 

Anyway, no-one’s had masks on for weeks in cabins.

And most people had (useless) buffs/scarfs/etc.

Anyhoo, totally agree with you, enforce (politely) or shut up. Exactly that.

I note elsewhere that Jet2 aren’t requiring masks on their flights either. Which seems* reasonable given airflow and ventilation on planes.

* seeming and reasonable do not imply proven wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, that's news to me about Jet2, they were a couple of weeks ago last time I flew.

My missus didn't get on her flight to GVA yesterday, but she's booked another for this coming Monday so I'll let her know.

What was supposed to be a few days skiing has turned into a little bit of skiing with quite a lot of sorting her mate's chalet to hand it over to refugees. Still having her skiing a little curtailed seems like a very very (very) small trouble to have at the moment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@midgetbiker, indeed. How did she miss her flight?

What I find quite funny is that (as officially as I can see),

- public transport "closed lifts" include cable cars and funicular trains - because certain sneaky companies managed to get them classed as public transport last year, in many cases exactly and only to allow them to transport tourists to the sights

- whereas masks are not required in "closed" telecabines/gondolas because they aren't public transport as they are mostly used to transport skiers who, last year, were (obviously, at least by observing the French reaction) the biggest spreader of the virus and, anyway, generally (in France) the work of the capitalist Satan.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was on a bus yesterday in Chamonix, and the driver refused to moved unless everyone had masks on (buffs acceptable by him).

Other drivers/buses haven't been so strict.

Personally I don't care if other people aren't wearing masks and I am. If I want to wear one, i still will (and do in shops, buses etc).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masks are back in Iberia.

As the virus recedes, Saharan dust takes over….
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@fixx, my suspicion is that it's like the lifties, seasonal workers, don't care, management won't check, etc.

We were in Carrefour (Sallanches) yesterday and absolutely no-one had a mask on. But as they are not mandated ... it's no surprise.

Frankly, anyway, in the absence of any quantifiable scientific evidence, personally I think they're a bit performative* ((possibly) not so much in poorly ventilated transports).

* vs a highly aerosolised pathogen. Stopping surgeons' nasal drips falling into open wounds however, a different story.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fixx, must have been the bald guy, he was walking up the bus at some stops to double check on people
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, +1. Well put.
Can now see just how much public support there really was for mask wearing, despite what all the surveys said about 70-80% supported keeping them compulsory.... nothing stopping those people from wearing them voluntarily now.
FM in Scotland still thinks they'll make a difference despite a large increase in infections whilst people have still been wearing them. Go figure that warped logic.
ski holidays
"Mask theatre" as @under a new name called it from the beginning.

My kid in secondary school has been wearing one all day every day for over a year now. He said there was so much joy and fun on monday when the face nappies were ditched....3 girls out of 120 odd pupils in his year were still wearing, which is fine, but shows the numbers who don't chose to wear them for health reasons unless mandated.....same in supermarkets here, maybe 5% still wearing them.

Anyway the point that struck me, apart from being detrimental to your health in my view, was that he couldn't believe how many classmates looked totally different, some have changed so much (16-17 yr olds) from pre mask days. He spotted one guy in another shared class that he only now remembers playing football against a few years ago.....they had only met with masks on since and therefore didn't know they knew each other..

Makes me sad....more mental anguish than anything positive for your health.....but I don't mind using them on transport / food shopping if it makes others safer.....it's the kids in school all day that I find wrong.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@midgetbiker, indeed. How did she miss her flight?

By laying in bed and not being bothered to go catch it!

Actually no, she was on the school run to Harrogate when she would have been heading to the airport.

Her friend had caught, guess what, Covid. So they had pushed back their plans a week and she booked again for next week. This weeks return flights only cost £45, so it wasn't worth changing, just rebook.

Subsequent to the re-book the whole refugee thing blew up and the first coach full is arriving today I think. If the chalet is full by the time they get there next week then I guess they'll decamp to ours and open that up and stay there instead.
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, aha. Complicated!

@snowhound, @polo, for the avoidance of doubt, I have been pretty supportive of mostly all other NPIs.

I just don't think the rough physics of a porous barrier loosely held over nose and mouth does a lot to block a well aerosolised pathogen. Especially in a well ventilated space, like an open chairlift.

And as for permitting buffs (as has been totally the case anywhere I've been in France), masks out of doors, masks to travel 1 metre from table to bar, well, that's just all ridiculous. Our local Maire actually said on first mandating in street that he knew they didn't do anything but they might make more tourists feel safer booking here.

Well-fitted respirators patently a different matter.
snow report
Noted a stark difference on my ski bus from Les Houches back to Chamonix this afternoon- every single passenger was wearing a mask. Just shows what difference a driver with a sense of responsibility and a large pair of testicles makes! Smile
ski holidays
@The Snaw, had he declared independence? Free state of Bus #1? Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy