Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Child chairlift safety device

Poster: A snowHead
Rather than the current safety devices to stop children falling off chairlifts, one of the group I'm skiing with suggested that children could wear helmets that are big enough to stop them sliding out under the bar. Any thoughts? Should we try and patent the idea? It would negate the need for the additional safety features, like the bar between the legs, that make them uncomfortable for adults.
Of course, this might just be a windup.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's A Knockout style animal heads

Here come the Belgians....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How big are we talking here???
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Photoshop up an advert, publish it in two weeks time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ster wrote:
How big are we talking here???

That's a good question. I'll enquire over dinner. It's important this is thought through fully.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A good way to get a neck injury I'd say!

Both the extra weight of the helmet and the pull if it did indeed stop said ankle biter sliding out..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have always wondered about child safety on lifts. It freaks me out every time the kids go on the lift and when we went to baqueria only one lift in the whole resort had a safety device. That then got me thinking how often do kids fall off the lifts and given the through put of the lift system it has to be a really rare event.

I still think that the child stop is really important and I think it such an easy add on to all the lifts it should be mandatory. Why is it not a thing?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Who cares? They bounce when they are that age wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sugarmoma666, This must be a wind up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So what's better? A child falling off a chair lift or dangling from the chairlift from their helmet strap?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My youngest had a chairlift incident in Les Gets when she was 7, she's 22 now so lived to tell the tale Very Happy

Beeing quite small for her age and having a love for speed and absolutely no fear she decided once to try and launch herself from a chairlift as it hit the landing ramp area to try and get an advantage heading down. She mis-judged it rather badly and instead of flying off down the piste she landed and suddenly went backwards under the chair and onto a net! The landing area was quite a peak, she jumped to early...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
It's A Knockout style animal heads

Here come the Belgians....

Are you thinking of an inflatable / stuffed head arrangement outside of a normal helmet?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Orange200 wrote:
Photoshop up an advert, publish it in two weeks time.

Am I early? snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MorningGory wrote:

Both the extra weight of the helmet and the pull if it did indeed stop said ankle biter sliding out..

To say nothing about being throttled by the chin strap.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a picture of my daughter on her first chairlift, aged 3, in shorts and t-shirt (not child cruelty, it was Summer...). It was an old style 2 man non-detachable chairlift (the one to the top of Mont Cherie in Les Gets, 22 years ago). She looks so vulnerable, nothing at all to stop her just sliding off the seat. I remember holding onto her very tightly!
Somehow they don't seem quite as vulnerable when they are all padded out in ski gear?
snow conditions
ster wrote:
MorningGory wrote:

This is a serious concern. Thanks for raising it. We're now considering putting a quick release on the chin strap.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
ster wrote:
MorningGory wrote:

This is a serious concern. Thanks for raising it. We're now considering putting a quick release on the chin strap.

Yep, the only child killed on a chair lift 'recently' that I can think of is the one who sadly died in Chatel - and the death wasn't called by falling from the chair but strangulation when their backpack got caught while trying to off-load.

Ironically the only other one that comes to mind is the girl who thankful survived but was unconscious when she got to the top of the brand new Pierre Longue (I think) chair, also in Chatel 4 or 5 years ago...when her neck got trapped by the safety bar, the 'auto-locked for safety' safety bar, so nobody on the chair could do anything to help
snow report
zikomo wrote:

Click the last bit of the op wink
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
zikomo wrote:

Click the last bit of the op wink

DOH! rolling eyes
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, you propose trading the slightly uncomfortable (it's never bothered me) wedgie bar, for supersize helmets? What about the parent sitting between 2 kids, does their head get squashed?! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Or maybe the idea is that the helmet is clattered by the bar as it comes over, folding the kids in half so they are jammed under the bar and there's no space to fall out? That would avoid the strangulation-on-falling issue. I like it, the idea has legs... wink
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
ster wrote:
MorningGory wrote:

Very sensible. Now what about incorporating a parachute in a back pack for the kid as now when the helmet catches in the safety bar but the chin strap quick release gives way.
snow conditions
Presumably the parachute rip cord would be tied to the chin strap, so no manual intervention is required to deploy the chute?
ski holidays
This whole line of thought is ridiculous - do you know how long it takes for a parachute to deploy sufficiently to arrest a fall?

What we need is something quick deploying and durable - let's take inspiration from another extreme sport - Zorbing. If the child were encased in a clear-plastic inflatable bubble, we would have a much higher success rate! Granted there maybe be some unintended consequences in mountainous terrain...
snow report
@mgrolf, either that or could attach the parachute static line to the chair lift itself, as a more robust anchor point, although remembering to detach it when arriving. This may of course slow down en-bussing and de-bussing from each chair, but everyone will understand. I mean think of the children!
snow report
Anything is a small price to pay relative to the abomination that is the Kid-Stop so called because of its contraceptive effect on the knackers.
snow conditions
I remember listening to a SH tell the story of hanging onto her son who had slipped under the bar, hanging onto him over high ground and then dropping him, exhausted over lower ground. He broke his leg.

Terrifying listen.
snow report
Perhaps instead of the ginormous helmets there can be a motion detection device that immediate inflates a space hopper under the child, so not only will they be safe, they can have a lot of fun on the descent back down
latest report
When using the automatic self belaying system at indoor climbing walls the wearing of helmets is banned. Apparently they can get caught and stangle the poor climber.
Quote:

Yep, the only child killed on a chair lift 'recently' that I can think of is the one who sadly died in Chatel - and the death wasn't called by falling from the chair but strangulation when their backpack got caught while trying to off-load.

I read about that and wondered why the child was wearing a back pack on the lift.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Whitters, +1
snow report
@TheYeti, I take your point and I was going to suggest some sort of inertial reel system as back up to the parachute if the distance to fall is too low to deploy the parachute, similar to those that can be used was escaping high rise buildings. Although then you would either need to have a quick release to prevent the child being dragged along the ground by the still moving chair or to be able to (automatically?) stop the chair when this system was deployed. But this maybe put paid to that

johnE wrote:
When using the automatic self belaying system at indoor climbing walls the wearing of helmets is banned. Apparently they can get caught and stangle the poor climber.

So the conclusion is that we lose the helmet entirely!
ski holidays
Massive helmet? Nah - but a quick release clamp that goes over the safety bar and acts like a portable version of the nut cracker on the kids side of the chairlift could work.
ski holidays
Where can I get one of these for my next trip to Japan?

The "pizza box" lift in Niseko scared the beejeezus out of me!
A tiny one person flat "seat" with no backrest, no safety bar of any kind, no footrest....not fun!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy