Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck - Friday to Monday solo ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm solo skiing in Austria next weekend and will be staying in Innsbruck from Friday to Monday. I should be in the hotel from 12 noon on Friday and I'd love some ideas of how to spend the 2.5 days. I'm staying in the Marriott so I'm pretty close to the station. I'm thinking a day in St Anton by train, but how is it best to spend the other days? Any help and advice is really appreciated as I'm a bit nervous as it's my first post covid solo trip!

Cheers Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morning mrlossyman

Mrs MA and I are in Innsbruck now, after just completing a week's group ski tour with a guide.

Before that, we skied five days using public transport from the city. Easy peasy wink

Bus line J is very frequent and free if you have ski equipment, so we used it to ski at:

- Mutterbergalm - Regarded as a bit of a 'kids' area' by the locals and not very extensive but has 2 fast gondolas, a very decent vertical and nice cruising runs. It could be a good shout for your arrival day.

Patscherköfel - Big vertical and fast cruising runs. Home of a past Innsbruck Olympic downhill. More extensive than Mutterbergalm without being massive. We really love it there.

- Nordkette - Very small, steep area, directly above Innsbruck. Amazing views of the city - worth a visit for that reason alone. No snow on the bottom run so need to access the skiing by cable car at the moment.

Nordkette cable car is closest to the city centre and is 15 mins by bus. The other two areas were 20-30 mins by bus. There are five or six other areas around Innsbruck (including Stubai Glacier) that can be reached by bus within an hour.

I'm not sure I'd want to trail to St Anton on such a short trip. An alternative could be Seefeld, which we skied for a day by train. The journey is only 35 mins but is very scenic. About €10 return, with trains every hour. There's a free bus to the ski area at Seefeld from straight outside the train station, or it's a 15 min walk. We really enjoyed Seefeld's skiing. Not a big area but OK for a day and the scenery is spectacular. On a cautionary note, we found it a lot busier than other areas on a midweek visit, but still really enjoyed it.

Snow conditions were pretty decent up to our last resort ski day on 5th March. However, I'd imagine the runs may be very hard and worn in places by now, given the lack of fresh snow.

The covid rules were relaxed in Austria on 5th March, the day before we started our ski tour. That day, the situation changed from FP2 masks being needed on ski lifts to masks not being required. However, we skied at Patscherköfel that day and found most people were still wearing masks in the gondola.

Having come straight down from the ski tour to a hotel last night, we haven't been out in Innsbruck yet. However, in five nights in busy mountain refuges, no one was wearing a mask and it was as though covid is over Shocked

We'll be out and about in Innsbruck this morning and are planning on skiing somewhere today. Will be interesting to see what the position is re mask wearing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fabulous! Thanks for the information and pictures, they are stunning! Looks like you had a great time. I didn't think of Seefeld so I'll check out the trains. I'm a couple of mins from the station and that seems to be where all the buses go. I've skied St Anton before and the Stubai Glacier, love Innsbruck too, very special... Again thanks for the info, really appreciate you taking time to reply!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
really appreciate you taking time to reply!!
You're welcome mrlossyman

Update from today - 12/3/22: We skied at Nordkette this afternoon - final fling before our flight home tomorrow morning. After our week away from the ski areas (due to our ski touring), conditions were better than we expected - soft snow in the sun but quite nice overall. Not really any slick bits, so pretty decent.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict,

Will you be posting a report and pics of your ski tour? Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Will you be posting a report and pics of your ski tour?
By popular request?? Laughing Yes, may do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/ZKn2T2Usmx0

So here's my trip! Hope you enjoy! Thanks for the advice!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mrlossyman wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/ZKn2T2Usmx0

So here's my trip! Hope you enjoy! Thanks for the advice!

Fantastic video! That just shows what can be done in a weekend! Toofy Grin And some great camera angles. Thanks for posting. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent, wish I’d brought my go pro with me, have taken loads of stills but it’s not the same.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cracking video!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glad to assist with the info. Great video Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the nice comments! Yes 3 days was perfect and can easily be done in Innsbruck.. I used to do Chamonix weekends, but Innsbruck is equally easy. Much prefer Austrian food too Happy!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy