Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you clean up after waxing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
zikomo wrote:
Layne wrote:
@zikomo, maybe I missed it but I don't think you said you had no evidence until just now.

Ummm not sure why I would have? Or indeed why I would be asked to. I shared my observation, and that of my kids.

An "observation" or a "prejudice" - I think that is where people are coming from.

Some evidence to support the "observation" might have clarified.

zikomo wrote:
I made no claim as to evidence.

Indeed you didn't.

zikomo wrote:
Not least as I have struggled to find evidence that is not contradicted by other evidence!

So the evidence doesn't support your observation.

zikomo wrote:
I suspect it is almost impossible to prove one way or the other.

Indeed. But you carry on "observing".
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
philwig wrote:
zikomo wrote:
... I am not going to stop challenging dishonest behaviour ...
In which case I guess you'll not mind if I post some actual accident statistics:
https://nsaa.org/webdocs/Media_Public/IndustryStats/fatality_fact_sheet_2021.pdf
https://nsaa.org/webdocs/Media_Public/IndustryStats/catastrophic_injury_fact_sheet_2021.pdf

Needless to say of course these data do not support your assertions.

Very interesting statistics indeed. Whilst they do show the difference in the amount of skiers/boarders involved in accidents, they don't really state the proportion of skiers/boarders on the piste (which they do when comparing gender-related stats, for instance), so we can't really properly compare them.
"Of the 48 fatalities last season, 34 individuals were skiing, 12 were snowboarding, and two were on unknown equipment."

Guess the only concrete conclusion we can draw based on hard statistic facts is that people on unknown equipment tend to behave much more recklessly!

[on a side note, though, I do have the perception that many snowboarders tend to have a more "annoying" behaviour (yes, I'm a skier), but I've never had the impression they necessarily behaved more "dangerously" - there's a few exceptions, like when they sit on the slope right after a roller, but they're not really related to riding faster or less in control]
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:

Guess the only concrete conclusion we can draw based on hard statistic facts is that people on unknown equipment tend to behave much more recklessly!

...like not sweeping up the workshop floor after waxing their unknown equipment - that's properly reckless.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
WindOfChange wrote:
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:

...like not sweeping up the workshop floor after waxing their unknown equipment - that's properly reckless.

True, unless they want to combine the waxing session with a home training session of ice hockey or figure skating (including "accidental figure skating", which happens to be one of my favourite disciplines - to watch, of course)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gustavo the Gaper, you could probably combine waxing with curling - you can use the iron like a stone and get some furious brush action going...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@Gustavo the Gaper, you could probably combine waxing with curling - you can use the iron like a stone and get some furious brush action going...

hahahahahaha indeed, I'll start training for Cortina/Milano
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
... Very interesting statistics indeed. Whilst they do show the difference in the amount of skiers/boarders involved in accidents, they don't really state the proportion of skiers/boarders on the piste (which they do when comparing gender-related stats, for instance), so we can't really properly compare them....
Aye. Also absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, but these data don't support the hostility described. Those people are wrong.

Most serious injuries and deaths are caused by collisions with objects.
And then males are vastly more likely to be involved serious accidents, and... snowboarders are much more likely to be males.

merriam-webster wrote:
Prejudice (noun): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge...
an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

Good wax needed, this stuff was warm.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, I am happy with if your observation is different. And you have also not presented compelling evidence either way. There are quite a few studies I have looked at but most of them seem to have inherent weaknesses, and many are contradictory as I said.

I don't see how this is a matter of observation or prejudice. It may be that others have a different experience or opinion from mine, I have no problem with that and would not see it is prejudice simply because it disagrees with mine.

The comment "so the evidence does not support your observation" is simply obtuse. I made no claim to have empirical evidence, and in fact do not believe any really exists as it is so difficult to control for all the variables. That does not in any way invalidate an observation.

I don't know why you have a problem with observation and why you insist on putting "observation" in quotation marks. Perhaps you would like to explain exactly how and why any observation is by default imagined or the result of prejudice.

Surely it would be simpler to accept that there is no need to agree or indeed need to prove the unprovable. If your observation or opinion is different to mine, then tell me what it is. I might find it interesting, and either way I can respect a different view.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow. Thought I would see a discussion/tips on cleaning up. Not a jot of that on this page as it shows on my phone. Seems to be a discussion on more esoteric things.

I wonder how far in the thread I’ve got to go back to find them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use a big roll of tarp to catch my wax scrapings and also to wrap up the bodies of all the skiers I have accidentally murdered
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hang11 wrote:
I use a big roll of tarp to catch my wax scrapings and also to wrap up the bodies of all the skiers I have accidentally murdered

Damned boarder!

But that’s what I’m talking about, leave the other stuff for the Socrates Society forum.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy