Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste insurance for one day

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm on holiday, I've got insurance that covers me for off piste within resort boundaries, but we want to do one route that isn't within resort boundaries. Has anyone got any experience of trying to buy one day of insurance? I'm in France, do any of the locally bought insurance things cover proper off piste?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mountain rescue is free (paid by the tax payer) in France. What and where are you trying to insure.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Join the Austrian Alpine Club - membership benefits, including global mountain rescue kick in more or less right away and you can download an electronic version of your membership card.

I'm also interested in how you've identified the route you want to do as being "outside resort boundaries". It's a term in a lot of "winter sports with off piste" insurance policies and is a term that means something in the US - but doesn't really mean anything at all in Europe, where you just have pistes and non-pistes (i.e. anything that isn't a piste).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mjit wrote:

I'm also interested in how you've identified the route you want to do as being "outside resort boundaries". It's a term in a lot of "winter sports with off piste" insurance policies and is a term that means something in the US - but doesn't really mean anything at all in Europe, where you just have pistes and non-pistes (i.e. anything that isn't a piste).

In France inside/outside means anything that can be reached by gravity from the ski lifts or with a very short boot pack (such as the Sache in Tignes?) - search and rescue is the responsibility of the ski resort who will charge for the service. In this case the daily Carre Neige insurance will cover you. Carre Neige doesn't appear to cover you if you are off piste skiing outside the resort boundaries.

You have to be slightly careful, a route like the Gorges de Malpasset in Val d'Isere via the Col Pers can be reached by the ski lifts and is therefore chargeable even if it doesn't really appear to be within the resort boundaries but would be covered by Carre Neige.

Carre Neige also say they will cover for a day's ski touring as long as the insured is mainly skiing within resort boundaries during their stay.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's the route in Avoriaz from the top of Fornet down into vallee de la manche. So you can get to it from a lift, but it goes down the other side of the ridge into a valley where there are no ski runs or lifts
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty sure vallee de la manche would be considered as within resort boundaries, we used to use it as the link to nyon Very Happy
Also I believe they restarted the ski bus service this year in which case would be hard to argue that it was outside resort boundaries
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
karin wrote:
It's the route in Avoriaz from the top of Fornet down into vallee de la manche. So you can get to it from a lift, but it goes down the other side of the ridge into a valley where there are no ski runs or lifts

I agree with the above poster.

Carre Neige should be ok. If the piste patrol rescue you then it is carre neige's territory, if the mountain rescue come to your aid (in France) then it is free (french tax payer funded) although if the piste patrol is involved they may still send a bill which carre neige will pay.

As for your own insurance, I can't say how they would view things. You'd have to look at the small print or phone them.

Quote:

Le Carré Neige couvre-t-il la pratique du hors-piste?
Yes

Le Carré Neige couvre le hors-piste accessible depuis les remontées mécaniques avec un forfait valable sur le domaine skiable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks folks. Looks like carre neige is the way to go.
It may not happen, but the youth (mid 20's) in our group want to do it, and I want to go with them. They all have insurance that covers them for all eventualities already.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@freeridechef, @davidof, well, we did the run today, and in the end I just trusted to my travel insurance and not falling over. The most chilled home run ever - managed to ski all the way down the path by the river to the Nyon car park where my OH picked us up in the car!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent, well done, did you take any photos?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy