Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First week April? Near Geneva? Mission impossible?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
And not too ugly. Forgiving skiing (nervous skier can handle blues and nice reds). Oh and some trees would be a bonus! Just been to Morzine/Les Gets and loved Morzine and the slopes there. Seems too low for April though.

We’re planning a 4/5 day trip at the beginning of the Easter holidays (3-7/8 April). Hence short transfer requirement. Flying from Scotland so we’re limited to Geneva on the days we can fly. Austria/Italy dates don’t work.

Any ideas? I know all about height of resort but aspect and snow record seem important too and they’re harder to (easily) get info on.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoriaz the obvious plain altitude choice in close proximity, many will get stuck on the look though.

Certainly, and seemingly particularly this season more than many, it's an element of luck the temperature and snow you'll get with tight constraints thrown in, but with any alpine skiing better than none at all Very Happy

Worth consideration is Praz de Lys (predicted close 10th) as different destination with nice environment for short break. Cost is good, food too and some really good skiing. Not huge but extensive for it's compact nature, very relaxed and particularly uncrowded.

If GM area of interest, then Morillon 1100 is a good base for walk onto the snow convenience with great immediate piste at your requested level, with more available throughout wider area, north facing and usually holds snow decently through season.

Both very close to transfer from Geneva.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you! How busy does Avoriaz get at Easter? We skied over from Morzine at half term and it was unbearably busy. Huge queues and horribly busy slopes! I though the architecture quite cool though. Although on a dark day quite eerie. Eh oh!

I don’t know anything about Morillon so I’ll take a look. Thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never been to Avoriaz when it hasn't been busy, perhaps a victim of it's own success as it occupies such a good position along with being one of the easiest reached higher altitude ski areas near to Geneva. Certainly it's popular.

Praz is completely the opposite in the amount of people, also probably worth it just for the food and very typically French too. Great compact area and one of those places that just makes you happy being there. Super relaxed.

Morillon, village is down on valley floor but with direct gondola access in one easy hit to Les Esserts (the 1100 mtr altitude part) you'll need to use gondola both up and down if you stay at base, but it's really easy and no real impediment. On the snow at 1100 is really convenient though and just a small village atmosphere. Again some really good food on the snow with three notably excellent restaurants in that area alone. Again, a very good relaxed atmosphere without hype etc. We've stayed here many times and with formative yrs of children learning to ski with genuinely good slopes to build confidence.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only skied Avoriaz at Christmas and one Easter (about 5 years ago). Easter was very quiet and could ski most of PDS unlike most Christmases when it usually had less snow cover. Going again this Easter. Benefit of Avoriaz is that you can head out in all directions. Can't wait, but having rolled forward the booking four times now I dare not even book the ski passes Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Honestly in your situation I would think about giving Avoriaz another go. You may be pleasantly surprised outside the peak weeks. That week is showing as pretty low on the school holidays chart. And the runs to avoid (I can only think of Grand Plan) just don’t ski them at lunchtime or very last thing. I was underwhelmed on my first visit. Been back twice and I love it. Sorry!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nendaz or La Tzoumaz may work for you a little further from the airport but not ridiculous and usually has decent snow on April in my experience.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out the post on skier numbers by @monkbeer on this thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154963. Easter is one of the quietest ski weeks in France, I think that skis have been put away and bicycles come out from storage.

We've had a couple of Easter breaks in the PDS and have had pistes to ourselves. On at least one occasion we have been the only people on a lift.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Easter is one of the quietest ski weeks in France, I think that skis have been put away and bicycles come out from storage.

True. It's disappointing if you go to Décathlon to look at ski stuff to find it full of bikes, tents and maillots de bain. Not to mention whole aisles full of sinister looking dummies in full camo.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When you say 'near' what exactly are you thinking of, in terms of maximum transfer time? 2 hours, 3 hours?

Some resort transfers are viable via public transport, but others will need a hire car. Are either of these non-starters? If car hire prices are as high as they have been in the recent past, is there some sort of limit to how much per person the transfer can cost?

There are a number of Swiss ski resorts within the 2-3 hour range of GVA. If you were prepared to use public transport, that might extend the transfer time, but it might be acceptable if no one had to drive. A bus transfer may be available, but is there a limit to the cost/person before you'd opt to hire a car?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, thanks everyone. I’ll check those options out.

I’m terms of transfer time, max 2 hours I think.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avoriaz was very quiet yesterday now that the hordes have gone.
Pistes in PLJ vey quiet today too.
I think it will be quiet from here on until the lifts close in 6 weeks as Easter is late this year.
We avoid Avoriaz in the holidays, and head to St Jean, La Chapelle, Les Crosets and PLJ instead.
In April the bits of PdS normally with good coverage are Avoriaz and the Linga / PLJ side of Chatel.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RosieL wrote:
Hi, thanks everyone. I’ll check those options out.

I’m terms of transfer time, max 2 hours I think.

Car hire and a 2 hour drive would get you to Meribel, St Martin or Les Menuires for the 3 Valleys; and 2 hours 15 would get you to Val Thorens.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy