Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

THULE roofracks - brilliant engineers or cynical profiteers?

Poster: A snowHead
I use THULE roofracks. A lot. We need high quality bike racks. Thule indeed make them. We need high quality ski and board transport. Thule indeed make them. They last ages, work brilliantly, and huge thought goes into making them easy to instal yet strong and secure. And the numbered key system is convenient and sensible. But there’s a catch. In this era of trying to reverse our process of wasteful production, I now find my workshop full of bars of various length and dozens of different footpacks for long-gone cars. Some unique ones for Golf Mk2s, dedicated ‘slot’ systems like the Renault Scenic, and many, many more. It’s bad for the planet and a licence to print money for Thule. Even the seemingly ‘universal’ roof rail feet of recent years don’t fit the Yeti (stump up for another set) and then I see Audi Qs, the new rash of electric cars etc all needing dedicated footpacks. I suppose I should stir my stumps and get the pile of footpacks onto ebay. Shares in THULE anyone?.....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 5-03-22 13:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is it Thurle or the car manufacturers who should be made to use universal bars much like universal conector for phones (usb c now?).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s the car manufacturers. I also have several useless (or more accurately not currently useful) bits of metal in the garage.

Thankfully my SAAB badged Thule roof bars bought for my dearly departed 9-5 Aero estate are a perfect fit for the Octavia Scout that replaced it. That saved one extra set.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's definitely the car manufacturers, they know that 99% of people will never use roof bars/rack, so it is an expense they would avoid if they could.

There could be a standard, for example like there is for tow bars/hooks, but there is little incentive to do so because it would define the roof width/length/spacing. Thule are fulfilling the demand for those who want to use their vehicle for something outside of the common 99%, so they know they are willing to pay for it, and being a premium brand, are willing to pay even more for it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely racket, foisted upon us by car manufacturer.

The vehicle manufacturer will do everything to standardise parts they can (many of the unseen parts) to control their cost.

They could do a standardised roof fixing (it's way less difficult than some other structures) that would essentially use identical foot with more or less long bars, they just don't.

VW group are a classic case, with so many components directly shared and without compromise to customer. They just choose not to.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, absolutely. Don't buy new cars.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@ski3, absolutely. Don't buy new cars.

This! I always buy brand new cars, which is a real treat. But I then drive them into the ground which means that buying new makes economic sense. We have a cycle of 2 cars, so the main family wagon is always between 1-5 years or so old after which it becomes my fishing/shooting/skiing car and we buy a new family wagon. It helps that I can maintain the cars myself, but I generally get about 150k miles out of a car before I have to bin it. We do live in a very rural area, so quite high milage, c20k miles per year on the main family car and c10k miles on the second car. As we have 4 kids we have been cycling Volvo XC90s for a while (by far the most practical 7 seater available in my view), and it is VERY annoying that the new model needs different footbeds for the roof bars!

As an aside, the only sign of maturity I feel I have ever displayed was when I swapped my lovely jag for a bus (an XC90) when kid number 4 was on the way and was actually quite happy to do so! I had a succession of fast cars including an Audi RS4 and several jags but lost all interest in shiny new toys or driving fast. Still a big kid in all other regards though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've always maintained family vehicles and see so many items that are just brilliant in design, which shows me that it's very easily within their capabilities.
Current family car is 21 yrs old, not recycled, virtually nil components replaced outside service items, very reliable too. Mitigated for sustainability aspects by all four of us either public transport, cycle or walking as living in greater london. Car never goes further inwards, just out to distant locations in which it's more suitable.

On topic though, it has original fitment roof bars along each side, to which we attach cross bars made of hard wood in providing very useful carrying capability. Skis, bikes, camping kit etc. Nicely finished in a yacht varnish Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was actually thinking the opposite of thule. All I need to change my kit from between my diesel 4 door hatch to sports car is £30 foot adapters. Pretty good in my opinion. If I bought a manufacturers specific model roof rack system at a lot more cost than the thule cost it would be usually obsolete when I sell on the vehicle.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Indeed comments are on target...needless variation in manufactuers’ designs. VAG pretty guilty of this. I had perfectly good roof rails on my Octavia and Touran, only to find different bars on Audi and Yeti. Very frustrating. Thule to their credit have done a good thing in the new strap fitting 775 footpack...but they really should have worked on that design a very long time ago...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WASHOUT, ....blimey what system do you use...30.00 would be a bit of a win even if it still represents a waste of resources...most THULE packs are three times that...

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/roof-bars-roof-boxes/roof-bars-fittings/thule-evo-flush-rail-foot-pack-7106-267086.html?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=367c5610-f937-4c81-8609-f84582324cd6&istItemId=ipqpxwlxq&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:|cid:13228161099|agid:124343711722|tid:pla-330973949018|crid:523502174874|nw:u|rnd:6349423387066459211|dvc:t|adp:|mt:|loc:1006598&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImJKj3fyu9gIVDOrtCh2D1giwEAQYAiABEgJ48_D_BwE
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's nuts really, and very easily solved if there was any serious intent, or advantage for them.

Tires an example, so many different sizes but fundamental basis of J Type (worldwide protocol for tire to rim interface and tolerances) rim form for everything

Seat belt latches another essentially the same (but most wouldn't notice) safety critical and load bearing as roof rackage, but not reall market to sell accessories apart from child seats possibly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe just luck. Between my 911 turbo (997) and last generation bmw 120d all I need is thule 3100 adapters at approx £35. I do have the initial cost of 116/8cm thule aero bars and side feet. Think approx £200 on ebay.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weel - Replaced Thule with G3… 1/4 of the price, and fit 90% of cars with roof-rails in a single product. The Thule Wingbars Aero was louder than the G3’s also.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Totally agree. I gave up and just carry 'em inside now; skis getting a little shorter helped. Got my sunroof back, too.
snow report
If the car has raised roof rails a couple of bits of wood across them with electrical tape wrapped round it all to hold the wood on works great Eh oh!
ski holidays
setup a business selling adapter kits.

An adapter kit so you can use Golf stuff on the Yeti
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy