Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Din setting

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm after some hep/advice on din settings. I'm going away for the first time in years on Sunday. I feel completely out the loop and I'm unsure on my se up. I've skied loads in the past and to a decent level but not sure what to set my bindings to (getting old and don't want to injure myself).
6ft tall/82kg size 10 boot/40 years old, slalom/race skis. Aggressive /experienced skier with dodgy knees. What do you think? Any advice much appreciated! Eh oh! Eh oh!
Code:
 :oops:
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to provide BSL (boot sole length) not shoe size. Will be on side of boots usually in mm

(Consider my Mondo 26 alpine boots are longer than a Mondo 27 in model of touring boot I use, and both manufacturers claim they are roughly equivalent to size 10 shoes...)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swell81 wrote:
Hi, I'm after some hep/advice on din settings. I'm going away for the first time in years on Sunday. I feel completely out the loop and I'm unsure on my set up. I've skied loads in the past and to a decent level but not sure what to set my bindings to (getting old and don't want to injure myself).
6ft tall/82kg size 10 boot/40 years old, slalom/race skis. Aggressive /experienced skier with dodgy knees. What do you think? Any advice much appreciated! Eh oh! Eh oh!
Code:
 :oops:
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Swell81, I see that qwerty360's expert advice is not quite what you're after..... Perhaps he's been on the free booze in the BA lounge after getting to the airport so early! Toofy Grin

Probably 8 will be fine for your DIN. Pre releases can also be painful in other ways.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Swell81, download the official manual for your bindings online. Follow the procedure with honesty, precisely.
You should then be ok
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
twoodwar wrote:
@Swell81, download the official manual for your bindings online. Follow the procedure with honesty, precisely.
You should then be ok

+1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Swell81 We have detailed DIN setting info on our site which should sort you out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Swell81, download the bindings manual, follow the instructions carefully, weigh yourself precisely, measure your boots to the nearest 1/2 mm, not forgetting to see what the weather conditions will be during your skiing.

Then stick them on 8 and forget about it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John wrote:
@Swell81, download the bindings manual, follow the instructions carefully, weigh yourself precisely, measure your boots to the nearest 1/2 mm, not forgetting to see what the weather conditions will be during your skiing.

NehNeh NehNeh Razz
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@qwerty360, blimey in what manufacturers’ universe is Mondo 26 equivalent to UK size 10?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, boot size says 28 and 8 sounds about right to me (currently on 9).will take a look at the guide. Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Swell81, that's the boot size you want the boot sole length which is in MM on the boot, usually by the heel on the side.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 5-03-22 13:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's a few websites that'll do the calculation for you...

Like this one: https://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipment/bindings/din-calculator.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8 seems too high for me, I'm calculated at 6.5 which is exactly where mine are set right now. That's for a 95kg size 28.5 mondo reasonably aggressive skier.
Never had a pre-release.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Roguevfr, this. I ski fast & in all kinds of terrain & snow. 6.5-7.0 and I never get an unwarranted release. Roughly 6 foot (probably shrinking now) and 87Kg.
snow conditions
@Roguevfr, +1
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
8 seems too high for me, I'm calculated at 6.5 which is exactly where mine are set right now. That's for a 95kg size 28.5 mondo reasonably aggressive skier.
Never had a pre-release.

My thought, too.

I’m not quite as tall as the OP and a few kilos heavier. Similar skiing. My DINs set at 7. Never had a pre-release. Mind you, I do have one pair of skis where the DIN range is 9 - 15….they only go out on quiet days, in perfect conditions Laughing
ski holidays
I would set it at 7, and if you find your skis keep coming off, increase it to 7.5 on the piste (they usually have ski binding adjustment areas near cafes with a screwdriver (or you could take your own). One technician in Verbier set my skis with differing settings, say one at 7.5 and one at 7 to make sure at least one ski came off.
snow report
Quote:

One technician in Verbier set my skis with differing settings, say one at 7.5 and one at 7 to make sure at least one ski came off.

This makes no sense at all - it must be pretty rare for both skis to experience exactly the same force (in a crash). 0.5 din difference would make little or no difference in practice, even if you wanted to lose one ski more easily than the other.
ski holidays
@mgrolf, how much of a din difference do you think would make a difference in practice?
snow conditions
You need to find someone with either the right tables or the “z setting” App (AFAIK not available to the general public).
And then adjust to your own needs.
I ski 1.0 DIN down from the tables. I am a “type 3”’skier (with ridiculously tiny feet) with one ACL and am very loathe to get a matching pair! NEVER had a pre-release…
ski holidays
If in doubt take your skis/boots to a ski shop. If you havent skied for a while your skis could probably do with a service, and the bindings checked over.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:

in my youth (late 90's), I borrowed a pair of skis from my super expert/instructor/coach skier friend. During the holiday a screw stripped out so I had to go to a ski shop (I was in America). The staff where shocked at the mad Englishman skiing on Marker Rotamat Race bindings with a DIN setting 12-24. One of the staff who was a ski racer said even he wouldnt leisure ski on those bindings. All ended well after using a sensible pair of skis/bindings for the day I purchaased my own.

Still slightly mad as I havent reduced by "correct" setting despite moving up and age group, and the setttings reducing Skullie
snow conditions
Try this https://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipment/bindings/din-calculator.html @Swell81,
snow report
I'll be 55 next year so on my all mountain skis I dialled the din down 0.5 this year. After skiing a bit I think I can take them down the same amount again, I'll keep doing that until I start to pop one off unexpectedly then go up 0.5. However, on my fat skis I still get odd pre releases at the heel landing off piste jumps at 10. I've set the fronts at 9 to give a bit more forgiveness. Anything less and I'd be a lot more at risk of injury from losing a ski I steep terrain or forests. Both my piste skis bindings are at the lowest setting but their range is 10 to 20. I'm looking at buying new bindings for the SLs but they are pretty expensive. Is dialling down 1 really going to make that much difference?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy