Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing - Tignes Glacier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

OK so I know that the winter season is far from over but having done all my winter skiing for this season in January I have booked a summer trip to the Alps.

We are actually staying in Peisey Vallandry where we going to do some hiking, mountain biking etc. I've always had a hankering to go summer skiing and the nearest place is Tignes. I realise this will necessitate an early start from Peisey to get to Tignes to make the most of the snow before it turns to a slush fest late morning. I do have a couple of questions if anyone could help out;

Where is the best place to park in Val Claret now that the new Club Med is being built on the previous car park?
Also we are taking our own skis but my son will need to hire some ski boots - is there a ski shop open early and which is close to the funicular for kit hire?

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes isn't open all summer -- usually just July? There will be hire shops open in Val Claret. There is still some parking left at the lake end of the Grande Motte car park...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First skied Tignes in summer of 1988, then many summers there and in Deux Alpes with the family. The glacier is now only a tiny fraction of what it was in the 80s and mostly just teams doing training. Where we had a moguls training camp is now bare rock in summer. Personally don't think summer skiing in Europe is worth doing unless you are training or doing an instructor course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski wrote:
Tignes isn't open all summer -- usually just July?

https://en.tignes.net/skiing/summer-skiing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Griggs,
For ski hire shops open in the summer, ask on the 'Tignes Seasonnaires 2022' group on Facebook.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mogulski wrote:
First skied Tignes in summer of 1988, then many summers there and in Deux Alpes with the family. The glacier is now only a tiny fraction of what it was in the 80s and mostly just teams doing training. Where we had a moguls training camp is now bare rock in summer. Personally don't think summer skiing in Europe is worth doing unless you are training or doing an instructor course.

I still think it's great to be up on the glacier at 8am on a sunny summer day. I don't think it's worth planning a special trip based on summer skiing - but as an alternative activity on a summer trip (in addition to hiking, biking, via ferrata) it is something definitely worth trying. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As Bergmeister says it is a novelty to do if you are in the area. Most definitely do not base a trip around it, at least not at one resort anyway.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having done several summer sessions in Tignes and Les Deux Alpes I agree with @mogulski that there's not a lot of point unless you are having lessons/coaching. The ski racing brats who shove their way past you in the big early queue for the train up, and queues for the T bars up on the glacier can be a pain..... There are not many runs, and some are likely to be closed for training. But yes, it's quite fun to get up to the top of the Grand Motte, get a few runs in and sit outside the (expensive....) café and enjoy the view and the sun. And watching the brats (and their big brothers and sisters) running the gates can be good, too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you’re hiring, is it perhaps easier to use a hire shop in Bourg St. Maurice? You have to drive through it anyway from Peisey, or you may have the option to pick them up the night before and save yourself some time/hassle in the morning?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good if you're in to the park. I'd rather ride my MTB or go climbing though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Where we had a moguls training camp is now bare rock in summer.

I remember skiing the Leisse, in August... in 1986.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's absolutely shocking being up there with someone who can point out the previous level of the glacier. Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Good if you're in to the park.

No park on the Tignes glacier these days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Good if you're in to the park.

No park on the Tignes glacier these days.

guess it was 10 years ago I skied up there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I haven't been to the top of the glacier today, the pistes are very narrow and look closer to blue than white. If there's not a lot more snow this month it may be a very short summer season.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy