Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus in April? hotels and driving

Poster: A snowHead
I know a similar question has been asked recently about Austria and I am following that with interest.

However, as well as being a bit of a scaredy-cat on the slopes, sticking to blues and greens, I'm a a bit of a scaredy-cat when it comes to driving in snowy mountains too.

I'm the only driver (it's me and my children aged 9-13) and I'd like to avoid any challenging (snowy and winding) mountainous roads.

You all helped me lots a couple of years ago when the French went on strike and my train was cancelled and I drove down to Montgenevre.

We live in Belgium so I'm looking at the nearest resorts to here, and would prefer to try Austria for the first time.

Other criteria:

-child-friendly resort
-easy access to and from the slopes (no reds down to the accommodation please!). my youngest gets very tired very quickly in ski boots and couldn't possibly carry his own skis rolling eyes
-either a nice hotel to recommend (without completely breaking the bank) or apartments with (fussy) child/veggie-friendly restaurants very nearby

So my main question is - what are the roads like driving up to Serfaus? Do I need chains? snow tyres?

Is there a car park and a shuttle bus to save on mountain driving? (We just got the bus up to Sierra Nevada from Granada, highly recommend it!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Knowing nothing about Austria so far, I wonder whether Obergurgl would be better, with more blues? Thanks!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

no reds down to the accommodation please!

No problem with reds down to accommodation when, as is often the case, there is a lift! In late season skiing all the way down, even if possible, might not be much fun anyway.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@forever beginner, whilst there are blue runs in Serfaus, including the home run, it is more of a red run resort. Quite a few lifts only access red or black runs.
There is an underground train servicing locations along the resort getting from the lifts so a long walk isn't needed.
WRT driving, it's a winding road up from the valley which is unusual for many Austrian resorts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I meant to say that it's largely a car free resort but you are allowed to drive into the resort if you can prove your hotel has parking.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thank you. so I need to look elsewhere then, as reds are not my thing.

Obergurgl or galtur?

I'm trying to stay within a 10 hour drive (which will take me far longer, I can manage 2 hours at a time)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serfaus would be fine, but as mentioned above skiing down would be challenging, especially late season. It's fine, just take the lift. Many people leave skis at the ski depot at the top of the main lift, so taking the lift down is the only option anyway if you do that. Perfect for kids as you don't have to carry skis at all, you pick them up when you get off the lift and start skiing from there. The chair lifts are all kid friendly and the whole resort is set up around catering to families.

The road up to Serfaus is very good, but if you stay in the valley there's a ski bus up to Fiss (same lift network).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When you say about staying in the valley, where do you mean? sorry if it sounds like a beginners question but it's all a bit of a mystery!

I've found a hotel in Ladis that seems to have availability.

Hotels don't seem to offer half board though, just breakfast. Does that mean there are lots of restaurants ??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@forever beginner, does your car have winter tyres? I gather they are compulsory in Austria. They're not compulsory in France, though it's a good idea. A resort where there is a ski depot at the top of the lift, so you start and finish your day's skiing there, and go up and down in your ordinary shoes, and without skis, sounds ideal with kids.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is there is a resort which caters more for gentle skiers (with a few reds for my more adventurous children) ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, no, it doesn't. I got 4-season tyres (and chains) for my only other drive to the snow in France.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the train to Innsbruck might be my new option...

Either that or driving to France (Chamonix area), but I'm keen to try somewhere completely new
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go to Serfaus and forget the run to town and just take the gondola down. There isn't a better ski area for kids anywhere in the world. The road is twisty but in April you should be fine. The subway (if you are in Serfaus rather than Fiss or Ladis) means much less walking for you and the kids, a major plus you will find exactly no where else. However: they (and most other places) close in April, and much of the place closes...early. I had a great week of skiing but hardly any restaurants were open as most had already closed for the season. Make sure your dates are going to work first.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@forever beginner, the chances of being faced with snow covered resort roads in April is very low, really nothing to be concerned about. The probability of needing snow chains is just about zero. The roads up to Serfaus / Fiss is nice and wide though there are quite a few bends (coaches go up & down without a problem). April is getting late for many Austrian resorts, though Easter is late this year so that might help. You wont find many more family friendly resorts than Serfaus, it is not a place for serious apres though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks a lot for all your replies - it's really helpful.

I checked and the obligation for winter tyres is until 15 April, so I won't risk not having them, and I am looking at trains - long but probably easier than driving.

I'm going to try and find a hotel that does half board to avoid the issue of restaurants being closed. It's easier for picky eaters too.
ski holidays
@forever beginner, winter tyres are sensible but no need for chains unless you want to try a bit of off road driving Smile. Train should be pretty easy, Landeck, which is the nearest station, is a stop for long distance / international trains. You might want to look at sleeper trains too https://www.nightjet.com/en/reiseziele, you can go to Innsbruck and then easily onward to Landeck.
latest report
@forever beginner, by "the valley" I meant the villages at the foot of the mountain, before the real winding mountain road starts. E.g. Ried. They're not the most attractive towns but the accommodation is a lot cheaper (I'm told).

Ladis is a good option, it's lower down so I would not ski back, but again, using the lift to get down is completely normal. I'm pretty sure there's a ski depot at the top of that lift too.

Train to Landeck is a good option, then a taxi (or post bus) from there.
ski holidays
forever beginner wrote:
Knowing nothing about Austria so far, I wonder whether Obergurgl would be better, with more blues? Thanks!

Obergurgl must have some of the easiest skiing anywhere - loads of blues as you say, and they are uncrowded so don't chop up at all. Some good reds as well. Blacks are rather "meh"

As for driving - you HAVE to have winter tyres - by law. They really are fantastic on snow, but I've driven to and from Obergurgl 4 times and they've never been needed (only needed them driving from Ischgl and they are unreal compared with normal tyres). Never had chains. The road from the main Inn valley is mostly very good. There's one pair of hairpins climbing shortly after Solden, but no big deal - people drive them slowly!
snow conditions
forever beginner wrote:
Is there is a resort which caters more for gentle skiers (with a few reds for my more adventurous children) ?

Yes - Obergurgl. Still be good snow in April (I hope so, I will be there) as it's high and has a good aspect.

Most hotels there are half board (your other question)... but also quite expensive.
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:

As for driving - you HAVE to have winter tyres - by law.

I don't believe this is correct. I just attempted to confirm this and indeed it is listed as a myth. None of my rental cars have had winter tires, they had all season tires. Winter tires are not all season tires.

There are times when the authorities can require them, but this is not season-long.
latest report
@Scooter in Seattle,

Ok it’s not quite as clear cut. If there’s snow or ice you have to have winter tyres - or snow chains.

“Between 1 November and 15 April, passenger cars and trucks with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3.5 t may be operated in winter conditions such as snow-covered tracks, snowy slush or ice only if winter tyres have been installed on all wheels.

As an alternative to winter tyres, snow chains may be used on at least two driving wheels, however, these may only be used in case the road is covered by a complete or scarcely broken snow cover or sheet of ice.”

All seasons tyres can count as winter tyres with the correct markings. Pretty sure your rentals if they had all seasons would’ve had the inscription described below.

“According to the law, only tyres which bear the following letters are regarded as winter tyres: "M+S", "M.S." or "M&S" or with an additional or an exclusive snowflake sign. All-season tyres may only be used as winter tyres if they have such an inscription.
Special use tyres are only regarded as winter tyres if they bear the following letters: "ET", "ML" or "MPT"”
snow conditions
@buchanan101, it is not true that you have to have winter tyres. The regulation is that if you drive on "wintery" roads ie snow or slush covered then your car must be suitably equipped. Falling to do so means you are likely to be liable for any accidents and also liable to a fine. In practical terms this means residents need winter (or all season) tyres and if you plan to drive outside of main roads up above the villages you should carry snow chains. Also applies to visitors. However if the roads are dry or even simply wet then any tyres will do. I would strongly suggest anyone planning to drive to the alps in winter has winter tyres but it is not mandatory. For instance if you plan to visit in the next few weeks it would seem a reasonable thing not to fit winter tyres if you dont already have them. See https://www.bmk.gv.at/en/topics/transport/roads/safety/tyres.html
latest report
@munich_irish, yes I found similar on looking further after Scooter’s post. I note from your link the minimum tread depth is 4mm - a lot deeper than normal requirements. How long do those tyres last?
snow report
@buchanan101, no idea, but the usual thing is to change them for summers around now and back on end of October / mid November time. This means both sets of tyres last longer. If you change your car every three years and you get both sets with the car then unlikely you will need to buy anymore.
ski holidays
I'm back with more questions Happy It's getting very last minute now, so accommodation choices are dwindling.

I found a hotel in Fiss, but only bed and breakfast is on offer, as it seems to be in all the hotels I've looked at in Austria. AS the week I plan to go (leading up to Easter-9-15 April) is late in the season, someone mentioned that many restaurants might be closed.

Am I missing something as regards half board ?

I've never rented an apartment when skiing - me and three children means I'm the chef and not keen to do too much kitchen duty when on holiday.

As for driving, I am still thinking of the train - anyone with experience of getting from the train stations to resorts (Serfauss/Fiss or Obergurgl) ?
ski holidays
@forever beginner, I would've thought most Obergurgl hotels would be half board - all the ones I've stayed in are. Have just found 4 on Hotels.com for that week (8th to 15th) and they are all half board. Not cheap though - cheapest is the Hotel Alpenaussicht which is £1779 for two people (I'm staying at that hotel a week earlier). You may get a better deal contacting them direct - Christiane (hotel@alpenaussicht.at) has been very helpful in the last couple of years - I've booked and had to cancel so many times!
ski holidays
Oh, thank you. I was looking on booking.com and must have been doing something wrong.
snow conditions
If you do use hotels.com or booking.com check the prices when you access them through TopCashback- you can get a reasonable % cashback though prices for the same hotels can differ if you access direct or through a cash back site.

Hotels.com gives 1 night free for every 10 booked on all the hotels it lists in Obergurgl so effectively a 10% discount (though on future bookings)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My 2p but I think Serfaus beats Obergurgl for beginners.

The valley run back to Serfaus is very much a blue, apart from a v short section right at the end. And there is a line to ski that section which really flattens it out - if you stand at the top of the pitch you'll see pretty much every instructor with a week one or two group ski exactly the same route. And as others say you can also take the lift.

Ladis is a good shout if you get accom close to the lift - the valley run there is perfect for beginners (flat, wide, consistent) tho it will be slushy in April.

Re getting there, easy to get the train up to landeck from Innsbruck, and bus or taxi from there.

Galtur also worth a look, and Damuels, but both may be a bit low for April. Also fiddlier to get to without a car.
snow conditions
Thank you for all this information.

We're not really beginners, just not good/confident.

The blues in Sierra Nevada seemed more like the easier French ( Les Arcs) reds. Is that something others have noticed? Or is it the two- year covid gap that made the blues seem challenging?

Slushy in Ladis doesn't sound good, but I'm guessing you just go up to non slushy slopes...?

Any hotels to recommend in Serfaus/ Ladis ?
snow conditions
@A118, can’t get any flatter than the blue back from the main beginner area at the top of Hohe Mut 1 lift in Obergurgl! (It’s a bit too flat for many if your hotel is at the north end of the village)

From the main Festkogel area- where beginners progress to after a couple of days - coming down blue 6 is slightly trickier just above the Niederhutte at the end of the day, but downloading from the Festkogel to the centre of Obergurgl is now possible with the new lift. The blue on the Festkogel area is wide and quiet so doesn’t get chopped up at all during the day - another huge plus I think for the whole Obergurgl/Hochgurgl area.
ski holidays
@buchanan101, the hotel in obergurgl got back to me... eye-wateringly expensive for four of us unfortunately (3.300 € for 6 nights HB).
ski holidays
@forever beginner, most valley runs in Austria in April are very likely to be soft and slushy at the end of the day if not earlier. Height and aspect matter in April if you want reasonable conditions. The two resorts I am familiar with which have both theses features are Obergurgl and Ischgl with skiing in both almost all above 2000m and generally west or north west facing. Ischgl is mostly reds so I would not recommend it. Obergurgl is a bit small compared with some but is really mostly blues (even one of the blacks should really be a blue.. can never understand why Black 11 is black…)

The slopes in Obergurgl are generally quiet so stay in good condition through the day and there are rarely any lift queues. Lots of gondolas which is great in poor weather but a bit of a pain taking skis on and off lots.

In Obergurgl most hotels are 4 star though so they do tend to be quite expensive as my earlier post suggested.
latest report
forever beginner wrote:
@buchanan101, the hotel in obergurgl got back to me... eye-wateringly expensive for four of us unfortunately (3.300 € for 6 nights HB).

As expected from the Hotels.com £1700 for 7 nights from 2. Obergurgl is probably not for you. Makes April a bit tricky - I suspect you won’t get half board in a 3 or 4 star hotel for less than £1000 for 2 people for a week. Also many hotels like to do 7 nights Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun. Pensions would be cheaper but generally only B&B.

I did think given the pandemic that most resorts that sre still open at Easter would be very busy but the good news there for you is that the availability in Obergurgl suggests there maybe good availability

Here’s another one for you to look at for April. Resort is much lower but skiing generally quite high. No resort runs so it’s a huge gondola up and down every day. Nice village - Mayrhofen (the week you want is the one after their Snowbombing festival).
ski holidays
@forever beginner, Further to my last post HB in a 3 star hotel in Mayrhofen is £989 (€1200) on Hotels.com (6 nights). B&B in a 3 star Guesthouse £600+ (€720+). So you may get a better deal in Mayrhofen.

Should be ok for train access. It has a station (narrow gauge line up the Zillertal valley from the Inn valley)
latest report
@forever beginner, have you tried looking for accommodation in SFL on the official website?

Many hotels in SFL are only featuring directly on the official site as they are offering special covid cancellation policies this year.

My friends and I booked various accommodation via that method this year.
snow conditions
You're all very helpful, thank you!
snow report
Jagerbull wrote:
@forever beginner, have you tried looking for accommodation in SFL on the official website?

Many hotels in SFL are only featuring directly on the official site as they are offering special covid cancellation policies this year.

My friends and I booked various accommodation via that method this year.

Good point. Most resorts are doing this.
ski holidays
I'm not getting very far with accommodation - I've had a less-than-ideal experience in France (Montgenevre) with a a supposedly 'ski-in/ski-out hotel' - that nobody from the hotel could explain how to ski back to and it ended up being a difficult red - which took all day to actually get to the right slope to be able to ski home!

There was the alternative of a bus but crowded, lots of waiting....not an ideal end to the day with children so I'm reluctant to book anything with shuttle buses as the default option.

The only reasonably-priced accommodation I can find is near Mayrhofen, but not actually in Mayrhofen, which means a shuttle bus to the slopes.

Les Arcs was perfect for us - ski lifts outside the hotel - but I fancied a change (I still haven't forgiven the French for striking and messing up my well-planned ski holidays).

Any other suggestions for a last-minute Easter ski trip?
ski holidays
forever beginner wrote:
I'm not getting very far with accommodation - I've had a less-than-ideal experience in France (Montgenevre) with a a supposedly 'ski-in/ski-out hotel' - that nobody from the hotel could explain how to ski back to and it ended up being a difficult red - which took all day to actually get to the right slope to be able to ski home!

There was the alternative of a bus but crowded, lots of waiting....not an ideal end to the day with children so I'm reluctant to book anything with shuttle buses as the default option.

The only reasonably-priced accommodation I can find is near Mayrhofen, but not actually in Mayrhofen, which means a shuttle bus to the slopes.

Les Arcs was perfect for us - ski lifts outside the hotel - but I fancied a change (I still haven't forgiven the French for striking and messing up my well-planned ski holidays).

Any other suggestions for a last-minute Easter ski trip?

Buses are very efficient in Mayrhofen. You are unlikely to get accommodation in April with decent ski in unless you go high - which is too expensive for you (e.g Obergurgl). You'll have to compromise somewhere: Mayrhofen's skiing is quite high for the area (1600m to 2500m), you've found reasonably priced accommodation, it should be relatively quiet in April after their snow-bombing party. In Mayrhofen you have to take a gondola up and down every day, so just tag a bus ride on.

And, I know it's also a bus ride, but you have the insurance of Hintertux glacier. (And for starting out there, the Ahorn mountain is small, but nice and easy)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy