Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gustavo's which Swiss resort for March-April 2022 thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Gustavo the Gaper in the Weather Outlook thread wrote:
Hi all!

In summary, my doubt is: are there currently any models that give us any oversight on what to expect for March in Switzerland, particularly around Arosa? (I know no long-term forecast is very reliable, but still) rolling eyes wink

Here's my situation: I'm planning on going to Switzerland from March 25th to April 3rd, but the resorts in which we managed to find the best deals are not really high: Arosa/Lenzerheide, Crans Montana and Engelberg. In fact, out of those 3, in principle Arosa would be our favourite choice (bigger, cheaper than Engelberg and sounds nicer overall).
But I'm a little scared the snow may no longer be that good around that time.
Also, today I heard from a colleague that, according to some models, March is expected to be relatively dry and warm here in the Netherlands (which was celebrated by the colleagues who heard it, but for a snowhead those words hurt deeply hahah). So I was wondering if anyone is aware of such long-term reports for Switzerland too.

And yes, I know Engelberg is probably more snow-sure, but it's also considerably smaller, in this case pricier, and also I've already been there (not that I'd mind going again of course, but still). For the rest I have looked into literally every Swiss resort above 2800m (I have a spreadsheet to prove it) but these really seem to be the best deals among the larger resorts (maybe Andermatt too, but it's also not so large nor so high).

Many thanks!

Avoid Crans Montana - south facing. Given the amount of snow that has fallen this season in Central/East CH any of the others should be fine. Assuming your preference is for on piste not off then Arosa/Lenzerheide probably best.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gustavo the Gaper,

The snow depths in the Northern Alps , where these resorts are situated , are around about normal for this time of year , As long as they have northish facing slopes you will be fine I suspect all the three resorts will keep open to about mid April . I’m in Grimentz and then Ste Foy for the last week of March and first week of April both situated at 1500m to about 2800m I’m very relaxed about having snow to ski on .

I would say spring rules apply at this time of year , boiler plate in the morning slush in the sun late on , follow the sun for great spring conditions , if you get some early morning powder some mornings then it’s a bonus but if your looking for powder it’s not the time of year to ski .

BTW most long range forecasts I’ve seen for March / Early April probably slightly above average temps .

Your trip will be fine
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hd, @Rob Mackley, great to hear it, many thanks for the input!
I'm not concerned about having snow to ski on (that will be fine for sure), but mostly about snow conditions in general, both on and off piste (but mostly on).
Think I'll just book and hope the forecast is wrong and it'll stay cold and dump 2 metres haha.
Thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rob Mackley, Your point about spring conditions is true.

Your point about powder is utter tosh. Very often (almost always) off-piste conditions are at their best at that time of year. Including lots of powder higher up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zikomo wrote:
@Rob Mackley, Your point about spring conditions is true.

Your point about powder is utter tosh. Very often (almost always) off-piste conditions are at their best at that time of year. Including lots of powder higher up.

Yeah, according to a book I got from WePowder, Engelberg tends to get a lot of snow in the late winter / spring, whilst Arosa tends to get a lot of snow in the late winter but not much in the spring.
But of course those are very general stats, hence why I was wondering if there was anything more concrete for this month.

In 2019 I went to Monte Rosa (which is also quite high) at the end of March, and other than the slopes all the way at the top, the snow conditions were not that great. That's why I'm currently a bit hesitant with these resorts. On the other hand, that same week, Cervinia (albeit south facing) was simply perfect, even all the way to the village and until the end of the afternoon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not weather forecast-related, but @Gustavo the Gaper, are you aware that the funicular railway at Crans-Montana closes this Sunday 6th March for upgrade works and won't reopen until December for Winter 2022/23?

I was thinking of going next week until I saw that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We might change the plans to Sankt Moritz. More expensive, but I'm sure also better, especially around that time? Any experiences there around the end of March (in terms of snow quality)?

jebroni3_16 wrote:
Not weather forecast-related, but @Gustavo the Gaper, are you aware that the funicular railway at Crans-Montana closes this Sunday 6th March for upgrade works and won't reopen until December for Winter 2022/23?

I was thinking of going next week until I saw that.

I was not aware of that, that's great to know, many thanks for the heads up!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zikomo wrote:
@Rob Mackley,

Bit harsh. There may be plenty of snow in March/April, particularly on high, North facing slopes but days are longer and sunnier and temps are warmer so powder doesn’t stay as powder for as long.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, +1, "utter tosh" is unnecessary, for an opinion about powder a month away? It's anybody's guess, and Rob is speaking from experience. But yeah am sure there will be powder somewhere...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We always get good snow end of March / April. North facing slopes will be absolutely fine, and as has been said, there may be powder, however short-lived.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks y'all! Just booked 10 days in St. Moritz and already VERY much looking forward to it!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy