Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self-catering holiday for 11

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am off to Val Thorens next year (planning ahead!!) - there are 11 of us staying in a self-catered apartment (8 adults and 3 children). I have only ever stayed in fully catered chalets on previous trips so just trying to figure out the best way to cater. With 3 small-ish and probably tired children, eating out in the evening will probably not be the most enjoyable option but might do once. Generally prefer to get them fed a bit earlier and then they can chill out or go to bed whilst us grown ups enjoy dinner and glass or two!

We are flying so unable to bring much from the UK or stop in a supermarket before getting to Val Thorens so after some advice...
- are there ok supermarkets in resort? (appreciate they will be more expensive, but how much more??)
- any good tips and tricks for self catering?

Was thinking that we might split it so each couple (4 couples) does a night?

Has anyone one any online order with Sherpa before? Looks good but also looks like it is only in French! My french isnt too bad, but not sure it is up to online shopping details!!
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might get more replies in another section (piste) rather than here where traffic is lower and about off piste skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could have a look at https://hu.ski/ - I've not used them but might save you a night or two of cooking?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Was thinking that we might split it so each couple (4 couples) does a night?

Best idea. We did this staying in a chalet with 6 bedrooms in Les Gets, years ago. It worked brilliantly. But the rules need to be very clear - this is not a fine dining competition, the "on duty" couple do everything - shopping, cooking and washing up. You don't want yourself having to wash up after one of those guys who uses every pan and bowl in the place.

We were flying but if you plan beforehand and take some essential ingredients with you (assume you can get meat, dairy and a good range of fruit and veg in resort) it's no big deal. We liaised about menus - don't want to find yourself having a sausage and lentil casserole every night!

It worked brilliantly. We did struggle going home, to get three hired cars, two of them with hopeless navigators, back into the French side of Geneva airport and only caught the plane by the skin of our teeth, but that's another story....

Ordering something for the adults from a local "traiteur" should work well for the other nights - and they'll speak more than enough English to take your orders.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We share cooking responsibilities. Similar to as you say. One person/couple per night.
Set a budget per head per day to stop any grumbling.
Whoever is cooking decides on the meal.
It is a good idea to run by everyone beforehand a rough plan.

You could take meal kits from home for example.
Hache/Burger night
Pasta Night
Mexican Dinner Kit night
Raclette Night
If you can find them, then the Rottiserrie chicken with Potato (prob have to pre-order if you can find them!)

Nothing to difficult or time consuming to cook - especially if you have to cook for kids first!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy