Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving thru Germany to Skiwelt (Austria) - Overnight stays on the way

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are heading into Austria this weekend, and are looking to break up the trip (its a 11hr drive from NL) so we are booked in at the Holiday Inn in Munich (next to the Deutsches Museum) for a night, and Sun morning we drive into Ellmau. For the way back, we plan on doing a night in Munich again or in Nuremberg, but are also open to any suggestions people may have. Anywhere with a decent pub and good food is welcome!

Also, any tips/what to expect WRT travel/driving in Austria? Planning on picking up a vignette in Munich the morning we head in but other than that am I missing anything else?

TIA!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming you are happy with the typical Munich sort of place there are lots around Marienplatz. On Tal (if you walk from the Deutsches Museum it is the road just before you get to Marienplatz) there is the traditional Schneiderweissebräu (well known for the grumpy women serving!) and I like Tegernseer am Tal but lots of other similar spots. If you dont fancy that sort of thing there is an Afghani restaurant, cant remember the name, on the small hill going up from the museum towards the concert hall (opposite side of the river to the centre of town). I seem to remember the Holiday Inn is actually opposite the concert hall (Gasteig) at the top of the little hill which you walk down to get to the bridge & museum.

No need for a vignette if going to Ellmau, the autobahn is "maut frei" until the Kufstein Süd exit (there is a ban on through traffic in Kufstein at winter weekends). Traffic should be reasonably light on a Sunday morning.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We always try to arrange at least one night in Munich on our way back home. Well worth it. In fact, well worth a longer stay. Try the Hofbraukeller rather than the Hofbrauhaus in the centre for a meal at a Bierkeller. Nothing to add to what @munich_irish says about the need for a vignette if you are only on Austrian motorways as far as Kufstein, but don't be tempted to go on the toll areas of the motorways without one as it can be an expensive experience
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mclovin, the route from Kufstein to Ellmau is very simple and short. In a car with Dutch plates, the obvious question will be whether you have winter tyres, as they are mandatory in Bavaria and Austria and unfortunately seldom seen on Dutch cars, so there is an occasional (rare) checkpoint on major tourist routes.

Depending on where you are staying in Ellmau, access is either easy and flat, or may require a drive up the Hausberg. You'll only need chains if this is covered in fresh wet snow which has packed down to ice on a cold night, otherwise the roads are kept clear.

For an overnight stop, consider Wurzburg - scenic city with the usual local amenities, and splits the journey more into halves than a Munich stop would
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ousekjarr wrote:
@mclovin, the route from Kufstein to Ellmau is very simple and short. In a car with Dutch plates, the obvious question will be whether you have winter tyres, as they are mandatory in Bavaria and Austria and unfortunately seldom seen on Dutch cars, so there is an occasional (rare) checkpoint on major tourist routes.

Depending on where you are staying in Ellmau, access is either easy and flat, or may require a drive up the Hausberg. You'll only need chains if this is covered in fresh wet snow which has packed down to ice on a cold night, otherwise the roads are kept clear.

For an overnight stop, consider Wurzburg - scenic city with the usual local amenities, and splits the journey more into halves than a Munich stop would

Thanks for the heads up! I do have winter tyres on the car (I keep to the German october to easter rule of thumb myself) - do they do any controls and checks at the border? We will take a look at Wurzburg!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
munich_irish wrote:
Assuming you are happy with the typical Munich sort of place there are lots around Marienplatz. On Tal (if you walk from the Deutsches Museum it is the road just before you get to Marienplatz) there is the traditional Schneiderweissebräu (well known for the grumpy women serving!) and I like Tegernseer am Tal but lots of other similar spots. If you dont fancy that sort of thing there is an Afghani restaurant, cant remember the name, on the small hill going up from the museum towards the concert hall (opposite side of the river to the centre of town). I seem to remember the Holiday Inn is actually opposite the concert hall (Gasteig) at the top of the little hill which you walk down to get to the bridge & museum.

No need for a vignette if going to Ellmau, the autobahn is "maut frei" until the Kufstein Süd exit (there is a ban on through traffic in Kufstein at winter weekends). Traffic should be reasonably light on a Sunday morning.

Thanks! Can't wait to sink the chompers into a good schweinehaxen Razz
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Würzburg, nice place and some tasty wine too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mclovin wrote:
Thanks for the heads up! I do have winter tyres on the car (I keep to the German october to easter rule of thumb myself) - do they do any controls and checks at the border? We will take a look at Wurzburg!

Generally not - when I've seen checks in Austria before, it was at Kufstein for those exiting from the autobahn, and between Lofer and Saalfelden for those heading towards Zell/Saalbach, but that's been twice out of something like 40 visits, and those were in peak times. We joked that it was a tax on Dutch people, as 90% of the cars pulled over were Dutch and 90% of those were being given tickets - very similar to the French tax on UK cars heading towards Calais at high speed to make ferry/tunnel crossings that gets imposed on busy UK holiday weeks Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ousekjarr, not quite correct re winter tyres for Germany (not sure about Austria but think the same). Winter tyres are required when driving in winter conditions. If there is snow on the road and you have an accident not only will you be responsible you will likely get a fine from the Police. However if the road is clear or even just wet then winter tyres are not required. In practical terms that means anyone who lives here needs them, also those travelling through in winter weather. However many non residents simply look at the weather forecast (or take a chance) and dont bother. The weather forecast for the next 10 days is dry, mostly sunny, maybe up to twenty degrees (we shall see) not likely to be any snowflakes or requirement for winter tyres. I guess the garages around here will start changing people's vehicles back to summers in the next week or two.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, yes, I know - but while you can look at the 24 hour forecast and be reasonably certain that your 6 hour journey today will not need winter tyres, predicting the conditions in 7 days time is not quite so reliable. If it snows on the day of your return, would you stay another 2-3 days until the weather is clear, or would you have work on Monday which requires you to travel today? That's when many people get caught out...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy