Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gripwalk boots and Rossignol Axial3 bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As above, my friend has just bought new Salomon Gripwalk boots to use with his Axial3 (non-sliding AFD) bindings and was told by the "experts" at Intersport they'll be fine with his bindings......
I haven't seen/checked if the clearance is OK between the boot sole and AFD, my gut tells me probably not, anyone tried/tested this combo please?
He's 72 and broke his leg at the start of the season and would hate for him to suffer another injury!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Presence or absence of a sliding AFD doesn’t matter - e.g. Salomon MNC bindings don’t have it. As long as there's clearance between the rockered boot sole (just behind the toe) and the ski/rail they'll be fine, assuming everything else is set up properly (toe height, forward pressure).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If they're the Dual WTR Axial 3's then yes, they're GW approved when set to the alpine setting.

If they pre-date the Dual WTR version then they'll have a flat topped AFD designed for alpine boot soles only and, in theory, are not GW compliant. However, if no other part of the boots toe sole touched/dragged on any part of the binding (contact is usually on the heel side of the AFD) then they'd be fine. That's difficult to achieve with many bindings but there are a few that pass.

If they do touch/drag then Look did make a some replacement Dual WTR AFD's (part no. FCEF003) and some GW AFD's (part no. FCHF004) to retrofit to older bindings with 'full action' toe design with an alpine only AFD. I bought a big box of each but I'm now sold out are so are Look and they're not making any more so you'd have to find a retailer that still has a pair of the shelf.

Look also did the same aftermarket AFD's for the Pivot 15/18 toes and they're also sold out of them both and they're not making anymore. I'm sold out of the WTR ones but I currently have 3 pairs of the GW AFD's left.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
telford_mike wrote:
Presence or absence of a sliding AFD doesn’t matter - e.g. Salomon MNC bindings don’t have it. As long as there's clearance between the rockered boot sole (just behind the toe) and the ski/rail they'll be fine, assuming everything else is set up properly (toe height, forward pressure).

You're correct that fixed/sliding AFD isn't the issue but you're incorrect re Salomon MNC bindings. A sliding AFD is a requirement to be touring sole compliant and all Salomon MNC bindings have them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, As I thought, without looking at the interface to see if the white plastic bit on the GW sole is sitting correctly on the AFD I can't tell yet....
Thanks for the replies!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@KenX, if they are not compliant and they don't want to buy new skis/bindings just yet the easy (for the time being) work around is to get an alpine sole for the boot, for the most part these are still available for now
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CEM, thanks, they're Salomon S-Pro 100, are plain soles available for those?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX wrote:
@CEM, thanks, they're Salomon S-Pro 100, are plain soles available for those?

yes, ISO 5355 soles definitely available for them
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CEM, cheers!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy