Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles + 2 lenses Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I've had a pair of Smith IO/Xs for going on 5 maybe 6 years now, loved them. But the foam has fallen to pieces all around the nose so basically unusable now, and Smith wont help me replace them.

I cant seem to find replacement frames available anywhere either. If that could be advised i'd love to hear how/where. (Im based in Netherlands)

Other than that i'd be in the market for new ski goggles and just forgot all the jargon really.

I had 2 lenses, 1 dark green for sunny days and 1 bright stormy rose something for cloudy days.

My question really is as a big goggle lover and only wanting 2 lenses, what goggle and lenses are really recommended.

Sunny Lens should cover a Sunny/partly cloudy day
Stormy Lens should cover the rest cloudy/overcast/flat etc because realistically you can never see anything in flat/whiteout anyway.

Anon M4 Toric came up a couple of times? Or do i go for Smith again?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMV. There are 3 potential ways to go (in no particular order):

1. Photochromic - NXT Trivex from the likes of Bolle Phantom Range

2. Two Lenses: eg. Oakley Prizm Hi Pink/Prizm Persimmon (depending on preference) + Prizm Torch/Jade/Sapphire

3. One Lens that gets you by in most conditions eg. Oakley Prizm Rose

Nb. I have gone with Oakley lenses in the last two suggestions, as that is what I am familiar with.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 28-02-22 14:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tani, if you wear a helmet then go and try some on with your helmet. I looked at two pair of goggles recently but one was uncomfortable with my helmet. So I chose another. I got these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/uvexSports/Skigoggleswithmagneticinterchangeablelens_Skigoggles/page/5A4BF109-5D43-4F92-A709-33A5B464BF18?tag=amz07b-21

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 28-02-22 14:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tani, welcome to snowheads

we're in the UK so choices here may not be available in Netherlands, but for the last few years I've been using Summit Goggles. As they have a magnetic lens fastening, it's been really easy to change lenses - a quick twist of the frame pops the old lens off, then the new lens just snaps into place.
https://summitworldwide.co/

As I now wear spectacles (I used to wear contact lenses) I've passed my summit goggles on to my wife and got some new "Over the glass" goggles from Decathlong which are designed to be worn with spectacles. Yet to try them on the slopes but they feel fine so far. They do have magnets, but the lenses also have tabs to help them clip into place. On this style, the "cloudy" lens stays in place and the "sunny" lens just clips over the top
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/children-s-and-adult-s-skiing-and-snowboarding-goggles-g-520-i/_/R-p-301318?mc=8512921&c=RED&orderId=gb1312025912
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tani, if you loved the I/OX, why not just get another Smith goggle? I think there is a lot of personal preference in terms of lens tints. The one suggestion I'd have is to try to find one with one of the Everyday lenses. For me, this is better than the sun green unless it's a really bright late season day, and far better when it's mixed conditions. I rarely touch my green mirror lens now. Paired with a storm lens, you'll have a combo that works in pretty much all conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt wrote:

we're in the UK so choices here may not be available in Netherlands, but for the last few years I've been using Summit Goggles. As they have a magnetic lens fastening, it's been really easy to change lenses - a quick twist of the frame pops the old lens off, then the new lens just snaps into place.

I second the vote for Summit goggles. Bought the Xpose2 and the smaller frame size for my other half. They are fantastic and right up there with some of the most lauded manufacturers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tani, Do you still have the lenses? If they're still in good shape and you like them why not buy another set of Smith IO/Xs with some different lenses. New goggles you know you like, loads of spare lenses, no helmet or fit issues.......
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm gonna take a look at Summit Xpose, thanks they do look good.

Unclear what lenses you get with them or where the choice is, but thats a really interesting competitor model they have there, like it.

@Mgrolf, Re Smith, the unhelpful responses since I'm outside the US in terms of their proposed lifetime warranty and inability to buy another frame to keep using the lenses im happy with has somewhat burnt me on Smith generally. Dont wanna badmouth them though so just left it.

More suggestions welcome, and yes i realise i definitely had 1x Everyday greenmirror lens + 1 lowlight rose lens.

Quote:

mgrolf

super-snowHead
@Tani, if you loved the I/OX, why not just get another Smith goggle? I think there is a lot of personal preference in terms of lens tints. The one suggestion I'd have is to try to find one with one of the Everyday lenses. For me, this is better than the sun green unless it's a really bright late season day, and far better when it's mixed conditions. I rarely touch my green mirror lens now. Paired with a storm lens, you'll have a combo that works in pretty much all conditions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I still have 3 Oakley goggles, clear for night skiing, high yellow for low light and a dark blue for sunny days.

But for the last 3 years all I have worn for about 95% of the time is my Bolle Photochrom lenses. The yellow are kept for skiing in heavy snow. I usually ski over 80 days a season so have a lot of experience with swapping between goggles.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I run with an Oakley Flight Deck which fits my face really well. I have a Prizm Torch lens for my "everyday" usage. Does the job really well the majority of conditions. I have the Prizm Hi-Pink for really low light/poor vis conditions but to be honest, the Torch does a good job as well.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all,

I'm new to SnowHeads and joined today just to see how Summit had been fairing on the open forums.

@nbt - Are your Summits still going strong?

Simon
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt wrote:

As I now wear spectacles (I used to wear contact lenses) I've passed my summit goggles on to my wife and got some new "Over the glass" goggles from Decathlong which are designed to be worn with spectacles. Yet to try them on the slopes but they feel fine so far. They do have magnets, but the lenses also have tabs to help them clip into place. On this style, the "cloudy" lens stays in place and the "sunny" lens just clips over the top
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/children-s-and-adult-s-skiing-and-snowboarding-goggles-g-520-i/_/R-p-301318?mc=8512921&c=RED&orderId=gb1312025912

Hi all,

I'm new to SnowHeads and joined today just to see how Summit had been faring on the open forums.

@nbt - Are your Summits still going strong?

Simon
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Simon@Summit, wekcome to snowheads!

Yes, my goggles are still going strong, albeit I've handed them to my wife now - I need OTG goggles as I have stopped wearing contract lenses in favour of photochromic varifocals, and they were just too small for me. As my wife has a smaller visage, they fit nicely over her glasses. I'm now using a pair of decathlon goggles and whlile they work, they're not as nice as the summit goggles

(just to make you aware I found you via Snooks, or did I find Snooks via you? but thewre was a link there for sure)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nbt, Thanks very much, kind of you to say!

Super pleased they've been durable enough, the Evolve OTGs were released in maybe 2015/2016. I may be misreading, but did you mean the Summit Evolve OTG were too small for you?

We'll release another set of OTGs in the next season or two and likely through our new Alliance membership scheme. If the pending launch is successful, fingers crossed.

Unfortunately I think the Snooks girls have moved on now. We gave them a few pairs of goggles for a competition if my memory serves me right, in return for a bit of exposure.

I may have some black straps for Evolve in stock if it starts to deteriorate at any time. Happy to send... FOC of course.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Simon@Summit, I'll be honest I am not entirely sure what model I bought! It came with a hard case, but there was no separate case for the spare lens as that was introduced a couple of years later. I know my friend was so impressed with mine he bought a pair: when his little brother borrowed them to play in and subsequently lost them in the snow, my friend bought a second pair which DID come with the lens case. He's still using them.

Looking at my photos I probably bought mine in late 2015 / early 2016, but as skinflint I wouldn't have gone for the latest and greatest, I'd have been more likely to go for the "end-of-line" bargain Very Happy

Shame about the Snooks girls, we bought my wife a jacket in their kickstarter and she LOVES it, it's had several admiring comments. They were lovely to deal with, they pulled out all the stops to get the first jacket off the production line delivered to us the day before we left on holiday. Goes to show that working with other brands can be good for you! Photos do show though I had my goggles before Mrs NBT got her coat so its likely I found them through you.
ski holidays
Mr P and I are big fans of Anon goggles with the magnetic lenses (now part of Burton). They are pricier than the Summit ones though -and now I check, Shocked Burton appear to have cranked up the prices even more now I look at their official sale.
snow conditions
I believe I may have an io/x frame in my gear drawer, I'll have a look.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy