Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Protecting skis on a roof rack

Poster: A snowHead
I regularly have to deal with skis whose idiot owners have driven unprotected on the roof to the Alps and back. I have a wooden wedge type door stop in my shop that I use in conjuction with a mallet to separate skis that have rust-welded themselves together where the tips'n'tails touch! The p-tex bases aren't an issue at all and even the most heavily rusted edges with look great after a mega grind but you're going to loose a lot of life from the ski. It's the internal damage to the bindings that's the issue.

The most important thing is that the skis/binding are protected (cling film is fine) and that they are fully dried out before packing.

Do NOT put any type of oil/solvent/WD40/vaseline anywhere near the bases/edge/bindings. Just because someone's done it without issue doesn't mean it's ok. Modern ski bindings all use captive PG75 grease which is excellent but it doesn't like being mixed with anything else so please don't go squirting anything in there. Zardoz on edges is fine but just drying everything properly is all that needs to be done.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That’s definitive from a leading voice in the industry.

The ‘fully dried out’ recommendation is in bold for a very good reason. I know of one person who packed skis in bags in resort straight after getting back to accommodation, forgot to unpack them when returning and left them for a year. The moisture trapped in the bag turned the skis into a mass of corrosion and mould.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mine always went in bags on the ski rack ..I couldnt stand the flapping eith so I put bungees round each bag...then I bought a roof box ...much better
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DaveD, ....ah ha...you and MANY more people than in the past...we noticed a lot more roof boxes this year and I almost began to suffer from roofbox envy. Temporary envy only, since we immediately remembered that Barzettes underground car park has a 2.1 metre restriction, Leukerbad 1.9m, Stephanie 2.0m and we saw a Volvo careering around Stephanie smashing into everything above it....(see last month’s comedy thread).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, Thanks for that advice.

The beauty of skiing in Scandinavia is that we always have a sauna, and after we have had ours on the last night, we put our skis in it (turned off, residual warmth only). Dries them a treat.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2 wrote:
That’s definitive from a leading voice in the industry.

The ‘fully dried out’ recommendation is in bold for a very good reason. I know of one person who packed skis in bags in resort straight after getting back to accommodation, forgot to unpack them when returning and left them for a year. The moisture trapped in the bag turned the skis into a mass of corrosion and mould.

Certainly agree with that view and people looking into this topic would be wise to follow the advice.

From an interest point of view (maybe it's too far into the subject for this thread though) PG75 is a mineral oil grease. Constituting of mineral oil, PAO oil (highly refined mineral oil base stock, otherwise identified as "synthetic" on motor oil) and lithium for "soaping" which is the part which makes it like butter and not run away as soon as you've turned your back. That's in most grease facing metals in applications. The PAO content is the more costly part having characteristics that allow wide temperature variation stability, along with flow at extended low temperature (helps the bindings to achieve target torque release within tight range over wide temperature use) essentially the same as synthetic engine oil but with addition of lithium to make is stay where you put it.

https://www.chempoint.com/products/dupont/molykote-greases/molykote-mo-pao-greases/molykote-pg-75-plastislip most general lubricants are derivatives of mineral oil in various guises, which are often sold at elevated cost in small containers to special interest groups "sram butter" anyone ? For those of mtb interest.

The plastics themselves are ultimately from crude oil, also most ski wax used over the years, as essentially parrafinic and solid at normal temps. These all closely related in origin.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’d personally use a ski bag and should not flap if you compress / tie down each end of the bags. If naked then just wash them down in the shower when you reach your destination. There is more than likely chance as we head into spring that autoroutes will not be gritted and there may be rain on route.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski3, ...actually fascinating detail. SRAM Butter indeed eye-watering but I also use Molykote (various) in some applications and that’s pretty eye-watering too eg MolyK33.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@valais2, yes an interesting field is lubrication. I know Jon makes a serious point about using unquantified products in this scenario, but certainly corrosion is something to be avoided if at all possible. First line practical avoidance is obviously the best corse to prevent and hopefully not need anything special to best preserve the original integrity.

It will literally take the skis apart if propogated fully, making any argument about oil completely academic. Classic case in mtb/bikes in general is aluminium seat post stuck in frame, can be recoverable, but will usually scrap the post at leaest and maybe a good frame too. Nothing more than left damp and corrosion doing the rest, it's highly potent in it's reach.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ski3, ...ah the electrolytically welded seat post.

With four remedies.

1 put seat post in vice and turn frame. BANG, it's out....(or not)
2 cut with hacksaw vertically and chisel out (mind the frame....)
3 dissolve with caustic (nasty nasty stuff)
4 time travel (go back in time and grease it before you insert the post)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
]This is a bit of self-promotion but very relevant to the topic. I also remember the beefy ski bags that airlines use to give out for flying with skis. I was surprised that there was nowhere to buy them anymore because they are perfect for roof and hitch-mount ski racks. I recently started to produce Ski Slips, which are waterproof 4mil poly bags for protecting skis from road grime, salt, and muck.

https://sloggn.com/collections/tools/products/ski-slips-pack-of-5-4mil-heavy-duty-poly-ski-bag

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 16-11-23 14:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I also remember the beefy ski bags that airlines use to give out for flying with skis

Welcome to Snowheads, @Sloggn. You must have been flying with skis long before I was. I did it first in about 1987 and was not given any beefy bags. We had hired skis in Ayr and finding the bags offered by the ski hire shop an avoidable expense, wrapped them in a pink candlewick bedspread.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This was probably in the late 70's or maybe early 80's. They were clear plastic with the airline logo. I do however like your pink candlewick bedspread approach, there is no chance of someone grabbing the wrong piece of luggage.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But my son, very brand-conscious at the time, was mortified, grabbing the candlewick bundle from amongst the Head bags.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sloggn wrote:
]

https://sloggn.com/collections/tool...eavy-duty-poly-ski-bag?variant=42857470886039

The link you posted does not work.

Welcome to snowheads and very practical idea. It would be good if larger bags were available to hold multiple pairs of wet skiis inside a car after a day’s skiing - this would be handy when using rental cars and not too bulky to pack in luggage.
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
Sloggn wrote:
]

https://sloggn.com/collections/tool...eavy-duty-poly-ski-bag?variant=42857470886039

The link you posted does not work.

Welcome to snowheads and very practical idea. It would be good if larger bags were available to hold multiple pairs of wet skiis inside a car after a day’s skiing - this would be handy when using rental cars and not too bulky to pack in luggage.

https://sloggn.com/collections/tools/products/ski-slips-pack-of-5-4mil-heavy-duty-poly-ski-bag
ski holidays
Sorry about the wrong link, I guess I'm not great at self-promotion.

ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
I regularly have to deal with skis whose idiot owners have driven unprotected on the roof to the Alps and back. I have a wooden wedge type door stop in my shop that I use in conjuction with a mallet to separate skis that have rust-welded themselves together where the tips'n'tails touch!

It is amazing how fast edges rust. Even on short alps journeys you've got to be really careful to dry the skis the second you get in if they've been put in the boot wet. If it is dry it can better putting them on the roof for a couple of hours to blow dry them.
snow report
Sloggn wrote:
Sorry about the wrong link, I guess I'm not great at self-promotion.

Here's the solution I recommended to my customers: https://www.dunelm.com/product/dunelm-cling-film-1000071437?defaultSkuId=30203309&ds_c=Cook_Food+Storage-PMax_%5BGOO-PLA-COOK-STORAGE%5D&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmNeqBhD4ARIsADsYfTdXP4Qt8qmX-Gq6vTfn_8hSbEMMSgBhb7WOzI4nPwskT6ghMN7eE_IaArHhEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
ski holidays
Bit of a random thread resurrection, but for anyone who cares, I bought 100m of pallet wrap for a fiver and stuck them on the roof rack. Skis were completely fine, no moisture etc. For the return journey just had to make sure the skis were completely dry after the days skiing, then wrapped them again.

As per the journey out, the skis were bone dry and in good nick when we got back from the alps.

Was a bit of a ball ache, but did the job.

For what’s it’s worth, wrap them back to front (as in direction of travel on the roof), otherwise the wind will get under the joins on the wrap.
ski holidays
Glad I saw this thread before January’s trip with my new Armadas on the roof!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy