Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in April with young kids?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking about heading to Austria in early April for a family ski holiday, but not sure which resorts to consider? Kids are 3 and 5, one has never seen snow, the other has done a few hours but is quite timid. Limited budget. I've seen some cheap flights to German airports, Munich, etc.

Requirements:
Good ski school and creche for kids (not all day)
Pistes not too busy
Value for money
Open to SC apartment or low cost hotel
No ski buses!

I usually DIY to smaller French resorts, with cheap lift passes and SC apartment (about £1000pp all in). I want to give Austria a go, without breaking the bank. Oberlech looks great but waaayyy out of my price range. Kinderhotels, similarly too pricey.

I've started looking at Serfaus, Fieberbrunn, St Johann in Tirol. Any others I should look at? Don't need apres or huge km of piste. If there's some on piste cruising and a small chance of lift served off piste, that's great. I want my kids to love skiing with a fun ski school and my bank to not hate me.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Serfaus 'might ' be OK in April.....st Johan is a No from me, too low. Of the main resorts, I'd be looking at Mayrhofen, Iscghl and further east in Obertauren. St Anton and obergurghl too expensive
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you are going to struggle with the cost thing. Early April is too late for the sort of smaller, cheaper place you are after. A perfect example would be Steinplatte - https://www.steinplatte.tirol/ , its not far from St Johann & Fieberbrunn. The season for these places runs from Christmas to mid March. You need to be looking at the bigger, higher, more expensive spots. Serfaus would be ideal, it is very much aimed at families but I think you might struggle to find value for money (also bear in mind that for many countries the Easter holidays this year are the first two weeks of April). Oberlech is very expensive but other places such as Ischgl & Obergurgl wont be much less. Mayrhofen might be worth a look but it, like most Austrian resorts, is a village spread out away from the lifts. So either walking or efficient ski buses (never quite sure why brits seem to have a thing against ski buses, most Austrian resorts couldn't function without them, consequently they are well organised and on time!).

Do bear in mind that a cheap flight to Munich might not be that much help, you will need a hire car, the places been discussed here are at least two hours drive away.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fieberbrunn or St. Johann are out of question. Although Fieberbrun will be open i dont think is the best option
St. Johann closes ususall during the Last week of March.
Obertauern or Serfaus are really gut option for something more family oriented.
Oberlech or Gurgl are really expensive but if you can afford it go for it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@carettam, which dates are you looking at. I would recommend Mayrhofen if it is the weekend of 9th/10th April but not week before as that will conflict with Snowbombing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
munich_irish wrote:
I think you are going to struggle with the cost thing. Early April is too late for the sort of smaller, cheaper place you are after. A perfect example would be Steinplatte - https://www.steinplatte.tirol/ , its not far from St Johann & Fieberbrunn. The season for these places runs from Christmas to mid March. You need to be looking at the bigger, higher, more expensive spots. Serfaus would be ideal, it is very much aimed at families but I think you might struggle to find value for money (also bear in mind that for many countries the Easter holidays this year are the first two weeks of April). Oberlech is very expensive but other places such as Ischgl & Obergurgl wont be much less. Mayrhofen might be worth a look but it, like most Austrian resorts, is a village spread out away from the lifts. So either walking or efficient ski buses (never quite sure why brits seem to have a thing against ski buses, most Austrian resorts couldn't function without them, consequently they are well organised and on time!).

Do bear in mind that a cheap flight to Munich might not be that much help, you will need a hire car, the places been discussed here are at least two hours drive away.

I found car hire and private transfers significantly cheaper from Munich than from Salzburg. Didn't bother with looking at those for Innsbruck as for the week we are going flights were prohibitively expensive from any southern based Airports i checked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And car hire from Innsbuck is extortionate at the moment.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@carettam, this place is very cheap.

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/austria/zillertal/ski-zillertal-3000/mayrhofen/appartementen-kaplenig?Participants%5B0%5D%5B0%5D=1991-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B1%5D=1991-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B2%5D=2009-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B3%5D=2006-03-20&Duration%5B0%5D=8&Mealplan=LG&Month=2022-04-01&DepartureAirport%5B0%5D=LGW&TransportType=SelfDrive&Allocation=2

It is stumbling distance to Penkenbhan lift, very short walk to supermarket. Nb prices include lift pass and will come down in price if yiu progress to step 2 with DOBs for kids supplied
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for your input. I think I'm after the unicorn of cheaper, smaller resort that's also snow sure at Easter.

I've seen reasonable flights to Munich and car hire prices looks OK, so I think transport looks doable.

I don't mind ski buses when it's me skiing, out all day. I do mind when I've got two tinies to look after, tag team childcare when not in lessons/creche, etc.

I'd not thought about Mayrhofen. That price is very good! I actually learnt to ski there at snowbombing when it was a new festival. That makes me feel old! I think there were great nursery slopes up the top of Penken but progression runs were limited to blue cat tracks or reds?

I'll take a look at prices for Ischgl, Obertauern, but I'm not optimistic.

Mixed feedback on Serfaus in early April. I thought it might be ok, as the kids ski garden is mid mountain? Even if the lower runs are patchy, i thought there might be enough higher runs to be ok.

Steinplatte looks like just the type of place I would like. Any other gems like this that I should maybe consider in future years for February half term?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 2-03-22 7:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any thoughts on Kappl / Galtur / See ? Heiligenblut? Katschberg?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 2-03-22 7:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@carettam, if you don’t fancy a ski bus you could look at Vorderlanersbach or Finkenberg. The former with more slopes for progression than Penken.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ wrote:

I found car hire and private transfers significantly cheaper from Munich than from Salzburg. Didn't bother with looking at those for Innsbruck as for the week we are going flights were prohibitively expensive from any southern based Airports i checked

Could you be so kind as to suggest which transfer companies that could be used?

(I have a slight interest as I'm considering Munich to Ellmau, but for another time)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have used Alps 2 Alps

Discount code A2A has given me 10% of in the past
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never been but what is Vent like or Nauders?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carettam wrote:
Any thoughts on Kappl / Galtur / See ? Heiligenblut? Katschberg?

Not been late season but Kappl is pretty south facing and I wouldn't risk it.
Galtur is small but very nice not cheap though but the snow should be decent.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy