Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tiny adult feet + ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
TL;DR I'm 5ft, 51kg and size 21 Mondo beginner to intermediate skier, finding adult boots really hard, what's the deal with kids boots?

I think I read a post similar to this one but I couldn't find it after going back 10 pages so apologies if this is one has been done before. I also posted the booster strap question which was a resounding no!

Recently taken up skiing and getting lessons at my local dryslope. I've been using hire boots but slip in them quite a lot and the man at the counter recommended that I don't go down another size because their 21 boots are really pish.

So I'm starting to look into investing in new boots and got fitted by my local ski shop as a favour, but they didn't have any 21's in stock for me to try.

I'm just wondering if getting kids boots is so unreasonable for my height weight and shoe size? I'm sliding all over the place in my current hire boots and will put some insoles in them next week.

I just want to get better and I know that boots can hold you back and that's not what I want!

Thanks again you guys have been super!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a bootfitter would be able to give the appropriate advice.

What did the person in the shop say? You are going down the route of spending money to get a half suitable solution rather than find a proper bootfitter. If you are serious that skiing is for you then it's a no brainer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TillyT, in general kids boots will be more flexible, because (relatively speaking) a child will not be as strong as an adult of the same size. You really need the advice of a proper bootfitter, which I am definitely not. However, if you are thinking of going down that route, you probably want to be looking at the upper end of kids boots, ie race boots as these will be closer to the flex of an adult boot. My (17 year old) daughter is about 3 inches taller than you but a few kg lighter, and manages perfectly well in kids boots. It's not to say she wouldn't be better now in properly fitted adult boots, more that she can't feel them holding her back (which she has in the past, with softer boots).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm sort of passing along second hand info but a very good friend of mins is 5ft tall, small build and a size 2 shoe. She struggled with hire boots and thought kids boots they gave her once absolutely not strong enough. She bought her own and had them properly fitted and says it's the best thing she ever did. She won't check them in, always travels with them in her had luggage as she's so intent on not going through the hire process.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think a Junior Boot fits an Adult Binding, unless it's a race boot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag, from a certain size up they will - not sure where the cut off is but larger kids' boots have effectively the same sole as adult boots.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mgrolf wrote:
@Old Fartbag, from a certain size up they will - not sure where the cut off is but larger kids' boots have effectively the same sole as adult boots.

That is a question for CEM - and something to bear in mind.

My view, as always, is take the advice of a knowledgeable Bootfitter.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think I've heard of both @CEM, and Alain Baxter fitting folks with small feet with kids race boots.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Indeed talk to CEM. There’s a switch to adult DIN soles at various different points in boot ranges. Although not at 21 I think - that tends to be junior sizing.

Also, try Full Tilt - they start at 22 Mondo with adult sole DINs, and can be quite snug. It may be that they will work.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, it was a professional bit fitter that measured me, but they didn't have anything in my size. He said that I was on the cusp of kids and adults. I tried a 22 he had but my feet were swimming.

What's more important fit or flex?

I have some blue superfeet insolses, would they impede performance or make the fit better for a bigger boot?

Thanks
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TillyT, ... regret in a sense everything is important. But with Full Tilt you get a chance of adjusting flex by changing the tongues. And the 4 or 6 rated tongues wold be fine for your weight. I seriously would try Full Tilt with some insoles and see how they are - they have the narrow last and the the 102 last models. Give CEM a ring in Bicester at Solutions for Feet
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@TillyT, Lange make their youth race boot in 21.5 , this is a full spec adult shell, the RS is the same shell as their RX low volume with the exception of the colour and not having replaceable sole pads
it is available in 70/90/110 flex (as you go up the flexes you do get a better power strap , liner etc etc as well as stiffer), with your stats i would look at the 90 flex as a starting point

it is a 260mm external shell length which is the shortest anyone can do as the bindings on adult skis have that as a minimum size, but they then reduce the size still further internally

we sell it to more small adults than junior racers
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Without wanting to hijack this thread, my partner is in almost the exact same position! Size 21, 5ft and 53kg, spoke to @CEM today, really great advice, the Lange boot is really the only option for us due to so few manufacturers making this size boot with enough stiffness for adults and appropriate sole length…… partner wasn’t a massive fan of the blue though Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LDP816 wrote:
…… partner wasn’t a massive fan of the blue though Shocked

Oh dear, now you’ve gone and lit the blue touchpaper (so to speak).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have the Lange boot (albeit a few years old now!), also fitted by CEM. Mine are size 21.5, and always fit in adult bindings. Admittedly there are usually a few raised eyebrows as they move the plate bindings as small as they can possibly go Laughing

But the boots themselves are brilliant - I have non-standard feet and CEM and team have been able to stretch / mould / insert footbeds as required to make them fit.
ski holidays
Ps LPD816, good news is that as a short ass the ski trousers will come right down over the boots, so only the blue toes need be on display Blush
latest report
i should say they change colour for next season,( to a more purple blue) but that doesn't help the now
snow report
swoafs wrote:
Ps LPD816, good news is that as a short ass the ski trousers will come right down over the boots, so only the blue toes need be on display Blush

And they could easily be disguised with some Snowheads stickers Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy