Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

(yet another) cash or card - Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Any advice/experience on Switzerland, i know how they like to hoard bank notes under their beds.

Especially laax/flims
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 years ago the only cash I needed going between Geneva and Crans was for tips for the ski instructors, otherwise I wasted the fx fee. Probably more card oriented now as well.

But always handy to have a bit as you never know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hobbiteater, Cards are accepted pretty much everywhere. The Swiss never refuse cash however!

Oh - and if you car gets referred they will assume you are poor and have reached your limit. So be sure to inform your bank before you go!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On my last trip to the Swiss 4 Vallées earlier this month I used my Apple Watch credit card to pay for almost everything, including drinks and food at remote mountain café/restaurants and even for small purchases like bread/croissants at the boulangerie. I did have to use a physical credit card occasionally, such as at a self-service petrol station where the machine hadn't been converted to use contactless.

The only time I used cash was when I wanted to break-down the high-denomination CHF 200 notes from the cash machine to get a few lower-denomination ones, just for variety. And to get some coins for the apartment block's PAYGO sauna.

It's a real cultural turn-around in Switzerland from even five years ago. These are the people with the CHF 1'000 (£800) bank note who used not to bat an eye presenting a CHF 200 (£160) note when buying their morning bread. Now, I've seen notices at places like petrol stations saying they don't accept CHF 1'000 notes as payment. Although obviously, the CHF 1'000 notes are still quite useful if you're a foreign client of Credit Suisse Happy as they're much more compact and transportable in bulk than, say, Krugerrands.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-02-22 14:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here (Wengen) you still need cash for little piste-side bars, and there are at least 2 bars in the village that don’t take cards. Everywhere else though, supermarkets, restaurants etc, cards or Apple/Android pay are fine.

@LaForet, is right though. Cash is no longer king here in CH.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cool, thanks all - will stick with plan A: take enough cash for daily schoggi plus1 lunch and use card as much as possible
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hobbiteater wrote:
Any advice/experience on Switzerland, i know how they like to hoard bank notes under their beds.

Especially laax/flims

Im in Flims at the moment, haven't used cash once. Inside laax app very good also for ordering from most of the mountain restaurants, and for skipping the queue in Ella around lunchtime. Even the open air hut by lavindas lift now takes cards, think it was the last hold-out for years..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@coddlesangers how is the snow out there. might be heading out next month.

also how does the variable price daily lift cards work? or did you just get a weekly pas as normal?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
t44tomo wrote:
@coddlesangers how is the snow out there. might be heading out next month.

also how does the variable price daily lift cards work? or did you just get a weekly pas as normal?

Snow is great right now. Big base and a recent 30cms top up. For ski passes, we took advantage of the variable day pricing, and upgraded a few times to blueline passes which meant 0 queue for us on the busy days. There is a 15 chf discount for the 11.45 pass, and a few other random deals available.

A sneaky one we used on the windy day that shut most of the resort was the beginners pass, which gets u up to narus via foppa, 2 nice itinerary runs down from there in the powder were great.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in Grindelwald last week and 100% of all trip spend was card. Zero cash.

Lowest transaction was 2CHF at the gondola station restaurant for an orange Eh oh! for my daughter and that was fine.

I didn’t go to any small mountain huts however. But ate out for lunch and dinner, bought snacks at Coop (bit like our Co-op).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was in Nendaz over Half term (driving through France). Every spend was on my Revolut VISA. The only time I missed cash was to release a supermarket trolley. One observation is that contactless hardly ever worked, and I would have to insert the card and enter my PIN. I've ordered a Mastercard for my next trip
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apple Pay worked a dream all week for me. No chip and pin used at all.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just back from a week in Grindelwald. Took 120CHF "just in case" - frantically spent last day trying to get rid of it having not used any all week!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks everyone, i've got some just in case case, as one of the posts says i know the hotel will take it in part payment, our usual trick.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Living in CH the only place you still need cash is to get a damn trolley at the supermarket or airport. Card or TWINT (Swiss version of Apple Pay) for everything else
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Living in CH the only place you still need cash is to get a damn trolley at the supermarket

Don’t feel alone, all the Sainsbury’s round here need a pound coin to get a trolley as do Morrisons I think.
snow report
Same in Lenzerheide up the road. In the summer there was the odd mountain hut that only took cash (local cheese and sausage type place on a few benches in the back garden) but it was quite remote and nowhere near what would be a piste! We only use cash for transfer tips and for the kids' lunch when they are in ski school.
snow conditions
The small no-card remote places generally take TWINT now if there is a phone signal. I’ve been to one place that had a sign on their high point to indicate the TWINTing location. Even the little unmanned Hoflädeli are all set up for TWINT now, which is really handy as I usually didn’t have the right change on me when I happened upon them.
ski holidays
@hobbiteater, Get yourself a Revolut card,
My son in law lives in Switzerland and uses it there.
You can load some money on it from your own bank and swop currencies in seconds.
You can make withdrawls from ATMs all over the place.
Look it up.
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:
The small no-card remote places generally take TWINT now if there is a phone signal. I’ve been to one place that had a sign on their high point to indicate the TWINTing location. Even the little unmanned Hoflädeli are all set up for TWINT now, which is really handy as I usually didn’t have the right change on me when I happened upon them.

Twint is great, particularly in summer when you want to buy something like a homemade ice cream from a farm. For those unfamiliar with it, it’s just like Apple/Google Pay, but the retailer doesn’t need any electronic infrastructure at all - just a QR code that's scanned by the Twint app.
ski holidays
@telford_mike, it seems to require a Swiss mobile if you try to register for it (using UBS version as recommended when you want to link to a cc only and not to a bank account). Is there any work around for this you know of or is it really only for locals?
ski holidays
@ster, sadly nope, twint requires swiss residency / swiss mobile phone so is really only for locals.
snow report
@coddlesangers, pity. Seems like a good idea to minimise faff and cost at the retailer end. I assume you need to be careful to scan the right QR as is it that that sets the amount taken? How do they do refunds if it goes wrong?
snow conditions
The QR code is effectively a link to the retailers "shop", you see their name and then you just type in the amount manually in most cases. It goes straight to their phone, they receive it live, or you show them the xfer on your phone, job's a good un. Its a great app, we use it all the time, also for payments between ski club members for coffees / skipasses etc...
ski holidays
I was in Zermatt last week and used cards everywhere except for in a very big restaurant in the centre of town (the Walliserhof) which only accepted cash
snow report
coddlesangers wrote:
The QR code is effectively a link to the retailers "shop", you see their name and then you just type in the amount manually in most cases. It goes straight to their phone, they receive it live, or you show them the xfer on your phone, job's a good un. Its a great app, we use it all the time, also for payments between ski club members for coffees / skipasses etc...

Exactly this. If it’s a big retailer like Co-op with Epos, you just scan and go - the amount is automatically debited to your account. But if it’s a local farm with no Epos, you just scan, type the amount you want to pay and you’re done, it’s a great system.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
You can load some money on it from your own bank and swop currencies in seconds.
Look it up.

is Revolut a physical card or a phone app?
snow conditions
t44tomo wrote:
DrLawn wrote:
Look it up.

is Revolut a physical card or a phone app?

Both. You must download an app. But you get a physical card and one you can add to the (Apple) wallet and you can get a one time “disposable” for internet purchases.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got Halifax clairity so quite happy to use that.
snow conditions

@hobbiteater, & @t44tomo,
I have a Revolut App on the phone and a Physical Card as well ...
You can even design your own Card for a small fee.
I've used the card in France, Switzerland, Canada and my local Tesco's
I've also used it in ATMs to withdraw cash.
Plus I've got it in Google Pay.

The exchange rate charged between transfers is negligible. So you can swop your holiday money back and forth depending where your going.

I think its a really useful thing to have in your travel wallet, you can even trade Crypto Currency on it.
(I've not done that yet)

The next problem I have is, how to get that Canadian Cash back in my bank account, I suppose I'll have to go to Tesco's and accept their rate. Confused

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 2-03-22 20:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Given the current international situation and having checked on the ownership of Revolut (Wikipedia), not to mention the family background of 1 of the owners, I would find it difficult to apply for this particular card. Others of course may view things differently.
latest report
just finished with using the russian revolut
snow report
@pat51, thats a good point! I had an inkling about it but hadnt really checked its set up and structure.

So I think I’ll be closing my account. I think I’ll go for Starling instead as I already have a business account there.

Thanks
snow report
Companies House check confirms CEO and CTO
snow conditions
Revoluts response to the attack on Ukraine

https://blog.revolut.com/a-personal-letter-from-our-ceo/

The founders seem more Ukrainian than Russian....
snow report
yep the halifax clarity doesn't take a fee (daily MC FX rate) and you don't have to pre load it.

of course the safe haven CHF is strengthening....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy