Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via lattea to be sold?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heard some rumors, since confirmed, that the via lattea resort groups, comprising Sauzy, Sestriere, cesana etc are to be sold to a UK owned infrastructure management fund.
https://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/il-fondo-inglese-icon-infrastructure-pronto-rilevare-sci-sestriere-AEcwoK6
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From the icon website:

Quote:
Sestrieres is the operator of the largest ski area in Italy and one of the largest ski areas in the European Alps. Established in 1931, the company operates 47 ski lifts, serving 305km of ski slopes spanning six connected valleys within the Piedmont region of Northwest Italy. 30 of the 47 ski lifts are owned by the company, while the remaining 17 are managed under long-term concession agreements with local municipalities.

iCON acquired a 100% interest in Sestrieres in February 2022.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well sella ronda is 500km, ok so different operators in each quadrant but then by their own admission they dont operate all via lattea lifts..... Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So will the change of ownership of the Via Lattea (Milky Way) resorts shake things up? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do ICON own/operate other lift areas?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If true, hopefully it might mean Sauze and the Milky Way in general gets some money for lift infrastructure upgrade. I first visited Sauze back in 2013 I think and last went in 2020, I can’t recall one single lift upgrade in Sauze in that time. There are still a relatively large number of surface lifts and slow non-detachable chairs, in particular the two-seater that goes up to the top of the Sestriere gondola is a massive choke point and in desperate need of something bigger and faster. Sestriere is pretty decent, Sansicario also ok but the two top-bowl drag lifts are still the only way back to Sauze. And the trip to Cesana and up to Claviere and Montgenevre and back has its fair share of slow chairs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dav wrote:
If true, hopefully it might mean Sauze and the Milky Way in general gets some money for lift infrastructure upgrade. I first visited Sauze back in 2013 I think and last went in 2020, I can’t recall one single lift upgrade in Sauze in that time. There are still a relatively large number of surface lifts and slow non-detachable chairs, in particular the two-seater that goes up to the top of the Sestriere gondola is a massive choke point and in desperate need of something bigger and faster. Sestriere is pretty decent, Sansicario also ok but the two top-bowl drag lifts are still the only way back to Sauze. And the trip to Cesana and up to Claviere and Montgenevre and back has its fair share of slow chairs.

Completely agree with this, a lot of the infrastructure in the via lattea is archaic! The journey across to MG is tedious with all the slow lifts and changes. The resort does need some money pumped into it so it can make some upgrades, downside will be that lift passes (which in my opinion are currently very cheap) are going to increase significantly! Let’s hope they strike the right balance and costs go up in line with the quality of the infrastructure and general experience.

IMO the resorts aren’t the most idyllic, and the skiing is good, but doesn’t rival top resorts by any stretch, so hopefully they don’t start charging the earth for what is essentially good, cheap skiing!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does this include the French part of the Milky Way? Surely not. Italian Claviere? If not, it is not the Milky Way but a bit over half of it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Love the area but it really does need some uplift investment although as i get older the long slow lifts give my legs more time to recover
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mikeelsa wrote:
Love the area but it really does need some uplift investment although as i get older the long slow lifts give my legs more time to recover

Yes, time to recover after the fixed chairlifts whack into your calves as you’re trying get on them, then eject you off of them at the top! The game of shuffle-forward roulette for who can avoid the biggest calf whack never gets old though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They upgraded the Cit Roc to a faster 6 seater (was slow 4 seat IIRC) for start of this season. That's the main lift out of the village in Sestriere, and opened just ahead of the women's world cup visit. Hopefully the 2 man out of Sauze up to Mt Fraiteve is next on the list as that is a painful pinch point, even at quiet times of year, and best not left to the end of the day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy