Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zugspitze in April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I am new to this forum, although I have benefited already from reading some of the posts for some time

Does anyone have any experience skiing in Germany at Zugspitze in April? I am considering going in the Easter.
I am worried about how crowded it might be, and of course the snow.

I seem to remember having heard that the lift system is very bad and with long queues, but that might have been for Garmisch Classic and I don't know if it might also apply for Zugspitze

Best regards
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jimenez, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'd expect Zugspitze to be pretty busy in April and it's not a huge area in itself anyway.
The rest of the skiing in Garmisch is over and done with by then so it's the only thing left.

I'd say Easter (given it's so late this year) would be better on one of the big Austrian glaciers or somewhere high altitude like Val Tho or Tignes in France.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would imagine it would be rammed with weekenders at Easter. Austrian resorts will probably be a lot quieter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the nice welcome

Maybe Hintertux could be better then?

I think I am leaning more towards Zugspitze because it is closer and only one border crossing from me (Denmark).
It's not much closer though, maybe 80 km or something like that, but out of a 1300km trip anyway

I was in Norway early this year, and the snow (or should I say ice) was very bad. Also my boots were killing me, I need to get new ones. I was hoping to have some proper skiing this season
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jimenez, Zugspitze is good during the week. Can get full at weekends. I often go down there if there has been fresh snow & they have more than 4 meters, in which case it's a great freeride area (less and you risk destroying your skis!).
April is usually good. Is the best time as far as I'm concerned.
I only recommend it for freeride. The pistes can get quite boring quite quickly! For piste cruising Hintertux better. Should note that off-piste on the Hintertux glacier is quite dangerous... lots of hidden crevasses!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also should be noted that from beginning of April onwards the Münchner lose interest in skiing, so it doesn't really get rammed!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steilhang
Thanks for the information, I have mainly done piste but really want to try freeride. It sounds like Zugspitze is a much better bet for that, if the snow is there.

I am a bit worried about long lift lines, but I suppose that might be a general problem in the Easter week
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jimenez, there are no issues at all driving into Austria, the various restrictions are on their way out anyway but going quicker in Austria than in Germany. The Zugspitze area is fine for a day out with decent conditions. If you are driving all that way there are much better options. Ischgl is the obvious suggestion as it is open until the beginning of May. The Zillertal is good too as at least the Hintertux area will be open probably other parts too though dependent on conditions. Other places worth looking at might be Sölden / Obergurgl, Serfaus.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't comment on April but was there 3 weeks ago and was great. Nice runs, all be it short. Lifts were fine, chairlifts cover most main runs although you will need to use T bars to cover everything. I enjoyed my day as the snow was fantastic, corduroy piste covered with 2 or 3 inches of champagne powder. Lots of people were skiing "off piste" between runs and it seems easy to head off the piste and do this. Its great little area, not sure how long your going for? Its not big, only about 20km of runs so can easily exhaust this in a day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am thinking about 3 or 4 days of skiing, probably 4 though because of the long drive. Yeah, it might be a bit small for that long

I will most likely be driving the entire distance myself, so I am still leaning towards Zugspitze, even though I can see that there are many nice, larger Austrian resorts.
I really want to practice proper carving, and I heard that the pistes in Zugspitze are wide and have a good steepness for doing this
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could base yourself round the corner in Ehrwald? Tiroler zugspitzebahn is generally quieter than garnish access and the upper reaches of the lermoos area and almbahn should still be open for spring skiing. The other areas close end of March I think. Overview:

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/tiroler-zugspitz-arena/

NB I have only been in January and summer. The panomax webcams may give you historical context for conditions as you can go back in time a few years.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks, that sound like a really interesting idea Very Happy . That should definitely give some variation instead of being limited to the Zugspitze glacier
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy