Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All hoods are not created equal….

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are picky about hoods. We climb as well as ski. Hoods can be a life saver on the hill when climbing or they can be a pain…blowing off, not protected your face, not fitting over a helmet.

The Bucket
Some hoods collect snow.
They stick out. They do not seal with your helmet. It snows. The hood gets full of snow.
When it rains, they get wet inside because they hang open. This makes them miserable and un useable in the car park when loading up.
It may go over your helmet, but generally awful.

The Mouse Pocket
Too small to be of use to anyone.
It may seal around your neck, but does not protect your face when your need to gather the hood over your helmet when in a hooley,
Skimpy and useless.

The All The Frills and No Function Hood
Plenty of nice touches, good drawcords, stiff peak, good side panels, but horrid shape…scratches at your neck, pushes your helmet forward.
Nasty.

The Perfect Hood
Now available from Picture, interestingly. Still available from Peak Performance, Rab, some Salomon and some Patagonia.
Big enough to fit over your helmet and protect your face, with a good side panels, good peak and good drawstrings.
Cinches down and still works when you are not wearing a helmet.
The latest Picture hoods seal completely at the back of the helmet, allow rotation without grabbing, and only present their outside face so do not fill with snow and rain.

Like Chris Hadfield, we sweat the small stuff. Thank goodness some of the good companies do too….
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My wife just bought a new Picture jacket and the hood is the only hing she dislikes about it! Far too snug.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NoMapNoCompass, interesting…which jacket?

In our ‘hood discussion’ we focussed on the Grom’s new Naikoon jacket - a seriously good piece of kit.

My one regret is that Patagonia stopped doing the Speed Ascent - brilliant jacket. Mine is still going strong but looks like it has been dragged across many Alps backwards. Which it has.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 21-02-22 14:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Funny you posted this. We’ve just started using a Picture jacket for my daughter that we bought a while ago and I was thinking the hood looked a bit snug and was wondering if it could fit around a helmet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ster, works on the Grom’s POC Receptor BackCountry really well….
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2 wrote:
@NoMapNoCompass, interesting…which jacket?

It's an Exa, she is quite small, 157cm, 55kg so that might have something to do with it. She finds that with helmet on the hood is difficult to get up and quite snug to the point at which it feels a bit inhibitive.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NoMapNoCompass, ..yes could be that style. The reviews of the Naikoon mention that the hood is a good fit over a helmet but a bit restrictive re side vision when used without a helmet…it’s very difficult to optimise for both. I have a truly wonderful Montane Team6 mountaineering jacket which is just perfect without a helmet and terrible when you are wearing any sort of helmet other than a mountaineering bone dome….
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy