Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hire boots and 'Boosters'

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all

TL;DR: can you use a booster strap on Hire boots?

I'm a beginner skier, who'll be getting real powder only once a year or so. I've currently got some ski lessons going on my local dryslope and have semi regular access to an artificial slope.
I've not got space or the money to buy any kit right now, but I've heard that ski books are the thing to upgrade, I'm also quite athletic and would predict that I'd outgrow beginner boots pretty quickly making them obsolete.
I was browsing my local ski ship (investing in ski socks) and noticed a thing called a booster strap that apparently improves ski boot performance.

Is it possible to use this booster strap on Hire boots and could this boost performance on the ski slope?? Would this boost be worth the hassle?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TL;DR: No.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nope. You have to remove the existing power strap to install the booster strap.

IMHO, as a beginner, I doubt the booster strap will help you much. It is one of those things that works well for some people, not so well for others, and some don’t notice any difference. This is another way of saying, you need to have a feel for your boots, and hence what you are trying to achieve with a booster strap, to get the full benefit.

Best bet… go to reputable boot fitter and get the boots that are right for you physically and skill-wise.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or pay for a premium hire boot, the boots that my daughter picked up this morning were a full 4 buckle boot and power strap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TillyT, welcome to SHs Happy

I'm guessing you are skiing at Hillend? Which almost certainly makes @tangowaggon's suggestion impossible. They are probably still using the hire fleetI used in the early 80's Twisted Evil

Anyway, little more to add other than that boots are the first kit you want to own, & you don't want "beginners" boots, which are just rubbish.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@TillyT, Agree with everything that @under a new name, just said.

I dont use Hillend these days, but last time my son was there with school (pre covid) I went along for a look and the boots are crap. Fine for farting about on the plastic but thats about it.

While boots seem expensive, they are the single best investment you can make, and if you are a couple weeks a year skier (or occasional day trip to glenshee/coe) then they could last for 10 years or more.

Consider that hire boots (assuming they were new at season start) in the Alps may have done twice that many weeks by the time they hand them to some poor punter in late March.

If you are serious about skiing, and want something that will last, beg or borrow the cash, get a well fitted boot (your next conundrum) and you wont look back.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any decent hire shop in a major resort will have proper hire boots suitable for your standard. We have not hired for a long time, but had no problems in the past getting good 4 buckle boots for the kids. Eastern Europe can be a bit less reliable for hire gear, but a bit of research will ensure you get the kit you need. It is not always a good idea to try and cheapskate hire gear, the cheapest is not always the best value!

As others have said, as soon as you can afford it invest in your own boots.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was checking out the boots here in Andorra last night for my daughter, full 4 clip boot with power strap thermo moulded for her feet from €190. Andorra has always been good value for ski kit, I remember the baggage reclaim back in the 80/90s there would be dozens of new bootbags from the Andorra (Toulouse) flights Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Any decent hire shop in a major resort will have proper hire boots suitable for your standard

This.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TillyT, If you are skiing regularly at Hillend and don't have enormous feet or pots of money, you may find that you can get some secondhand boots from one of the Race Clubs that use the slope... or have a look at Ebay or Skibay (on Facebook)... As everyone else has said, dryslope hire boots are the pits.....

Hillend is definitely worth a trip or too in the summer -- the view from the top is lovely.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TillyT , sent you a pm.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know you say you've not got the cash for kit at the moment but it'll take longer to save up if you waste it unwisely in the meantime on 'go-faster stripes for a hire car'.
So to answer your question, @rjs said it.

If you've skied more than a dozen days and still love it, it's time to get your own boots!
The difference between randomly fitting hire boots and properly fitted boots is, frankly a whole 'level' of skiing. So you can forget 'beginners boots'. (It's also a massive reduction in faff when you go to hire kit.)

Boots, like feet come, not just in different sizes but in all different shapes. A good boot fitter knows which of the current boots will best suit your foot shape, will start from that (which is 80% of the job) and adjust it to fit properly: most boots will be simply the wrong place to start.

Finally, choose a boot-fitter by recommendation of the individual rather than of the shop, or company. It's a very personal process and the skill of 2 individuals at the same shop can vary widely.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The hire boots at Hemel are ghastly. I've normally taken my own, but one time they were in France.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scouer gumtree, you get boots on there cheap. I know they are not gojng to be fitted but if you try them and they are tight then they will be better than hillend lose fit.
Its also worth keeping an eye on decathlon at hermiston gate, they can have some crazy end of season sales with boots as cheap as £70
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all the tips,

Yes I ski at Hillend and because my feet are so tiny I'm in the kids boots section.

I'm going to join a club and hopefully get into farting about on plastic at least 2x a month. If I sustain that for a while I'll start seriously consider buying boots.

Lovely guy in the local ski shop just measured me for boots so I know what I'm looking for now for second hand ones.

No booster strap for me!

Thanks!
snow report
TillyT wrote:
Lovely guy in the local ski shop just measured me for boots so I know what I'm looking for now for second hand ones.

Remember, it's not just overall size. Some boots are narrower than others. Some might be wider across the instep and narrower in the heal or vice versa. Some have more or less volume than others that are technically the same size.
As I say, a good boot fitter knows the character of different boots and can help you select something with a much closer fit to start with.
Other than in the case of rapidly growing kids, 2nd hand boots are a non-starter, a false economy IMO.
ski holidays
TillyT wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all the tips,

Yes I ski at Hillend and because my feet are so tiny I'm in the kids boots section.

I'm going to join a club and hopefully get into farting about on plastic at least 2x a month. If I sustain that for a while I'll start seriously consider buying boots.

No booster strap for me!

Thanks!

you really shouldnt as an adult be skiing in a childrens boot, the sole norm is different and the materials are not really designed for an adult to use
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy