Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Line Blades - what length?

Poster: A snowHead
After a lot of deliberating, I’ve decided that I want to buy a pair of line blades, my current ski is a 2014 volkl kendo in 177, having a 90mm waist and being fairly stiff and heavy, I’m hoping the step up to the blade with a 95mm waist won’t be too bad, I would class myself as an “aggressive” skier, the attraction of the blade is having fun making turns on piste, and being able to play around off piste. I ski with a wide ish stance so I am not expecting the wide tips the blades have to be an issue for me. I played around with the idea of getting a piste ski to go alongside the kendos, but they are getting to end of their life and I’ve decided I want another do it all ski.

My question is, what length is right, I am likely to buy online, I can see good deals on 169’s, my concern is that with the more shovel like end and more tip rocker than the kendos?!? They will actually ski shorter so I would need mid 170’s or even the 181’s! I am probably leaning towards the 176 just because it’s what I am used to, understanding that this may not be correct.

I am 175cm but 90kg’s, I lift weights and am reasonably strong.

Any guidance on bindings? I have marker griffons on the kendos and they’ve been brilliant.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 20-02-22 15:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah I defo go 176 at least. If you like Griffons and don't mind the pita royal heel ( unless TCX) then go for them - usually deals to be had.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would even consider going up to the 181s if for All Mountain use (you are 15 stone, aggressive and skiing on a softer ski with a Tip and Tail Rocker) ....but if worried, 176 should also work.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, will look towards the 181’s they seem to be slim on the ground at the moment without paying fairly big money! Assume they are a popular ski this season?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LDP816 wrote:
Thanks guys, will look towards the 181’s they seem to be slim on the ground at the moment without paying fairly big money! Assume they are a popular ski this season?

I ski a 180 Scott "The Ski" (92mm). It is playful with a Tip Rocker. I'm 5' 10 and 10.6 stone....so if you go the longer length, I would be surprised if you had a problem. Though they don't give a Radius, the 181 should have less of a slalom feel ie. maybe more versatile.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm 6'1", 15 stone, and have the 176s. Not sure I'd want the 181s - due to their design (lots of camber, sidecut, and very little tail rocker) they have a LOT more effective edge than their height would suggest. The general consensus/advice from the US reviews I have seen as well is to size down rather than size up
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saintsman wrote:
I'm 6'1", 15 stone, and have the 176s. Not sure I'd want the 181s - due to their design (lots of camber, sidecut, and very little tail rocker) they have a LOT more effective edge than their height would suggest. The general consensus/advice from the US reviews I have seen as well is to size down rather than size up

As you own them, you are in a much better position to comment.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saintsman wrote:

Luckily, I did more reading, and found the same advice, I’ve actually bought the 176’s, hoping they arrive in time for my trip on the 13th!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where are you going with them? One word of advice is that given their size you would think they wouldn't work on ice, but it's amazing how good they are with a good tune.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
LDP816 wrote:
I’ve actually bought the 176’s, hoping they arrive in time for my trip on the 13th!

Just out of interest, where did you get 'em from? I'm looking into a pair of 169s but can't find any for less than about £600 plus bindings!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowtrax have last year's top sheet in a 169 for £540
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glisshop have a 176 including binding for that! Shame I'm only a 173cm 11 stoner or I'd got for them...
https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/line/alpine-ski-set-blade-bindings28069247
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You'll need to wait for the sales, or give them a call. I got my 176s from them in last year's end of season sale - and even including the bindings was a lower price than Glisshop are advertising
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saintsman wrote:
Where are you going with them? One word of advice is that given their size you would think they wouldn't work on ice, but it's amazing how good they are with a good tune.

Off to Cervinia, all south facing so ice hopefully not an issue, with the exception of the glacier of course. Will look into getting them waxed and tuned before I leave, hoping they are everything I’ve been told they are!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Leonard Smalls wrote:
LDP816 wrote:
I’ve actually bought the 176’s, hoping they arrive in time for my trip on the 13th!

Just out of interest, where did you get 'em from? I'm looking into a pair of 169s but can't find any for less than about £600 plus bindings!

I went for snowinn, I know they can be a pain but the saving was massive, after discount codes they ended up at well under £400 and in this years colours. Delivery can be slow, I’m aware, but they took 4 days to go from being “with our courier” (presumably on the way to them as they were not physically in stock) to being dispatched. They have left Spain now so I’m hoping all goes ok.

I feel like I saw a pair of 169’s on snowleader for just over £400…..
latest report
LDP816 wrote:

I feel like I saw a pair of 169’s on snowleader for just over £400…..

They were £474 inc Look bindings...
However, from their website:
Since Brexit, The VAT still has to be paid for any order.
It will either be directly paid on the website for any order under £162 with tax, or at the reception by the deliverer in the UK if the total is over £162.
It is possible that the carrier may add a flat rate including customs clearance fees and customs taxes worth approximately £15.

And Snowinn only have 176 and bigger. Shall have to wait until the sales, wot with being a mean northerner!
snow conditions
LDP816 wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

Off to Cervinia, all south facing so ice hopefully not an issue, with the exception of the glacier of course. Will look into getting them waxed and tuned before I leave, hoping they are everything I’ve been told they are!

Nice - you'll have a great time on them
snow report
0cm
snow report
Snowtrax end of season sale is on. They have the 2021 for £419.97, the 2022 for £515.96.

Personally I prefer the '21, but the topsheet on the '22, is harder wearing
snow report
Just bought a pair of '21 169s with Marker Griffons... Though it looks like they won't get any use till next season, unfortunately!
ski holidays
Mine arrived last week, actually really good service from snowinn! Only took just over a week, ordered 23rd of Feb and arrived 4th March. No customs or import charges either, result!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy