Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Less busy areas of Mayrhofen?

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Mayrhofen in mid March. First day skiing will be the Sunday and I imagine it could be pretty busy then. I'm just wondering if there are some quieter areas we could head to, if only for that day? (I know it's seemingly self-defeating to publicise 'undiscovered' areas on here, but I am confident that the majority of the world are not on Snowheads, poor benighted souls that they are, and won't suddenly rush there).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don’t think it would be especially busy on a Sunday in mid March. I went during carnival week and I didn’t find the slopes overly busy then. The main queues used to be a the Penkenbahn taking you up from the village but I think the new lift has sorted that.

However, if you want to go to a quieter end, head to Eggalm on the far side of the piste map. There’s some great skiing over there and few people. The cable car over could prove the only hiccup but you can always take a bus and start/ finish the day there, with the bonus of skiing back to the valley, which you don’t get in the main town
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@EdYarker, thanks, sounds like a plan.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wonder if the short train journey from Mayrhofen to Zell am Ziller is an option. It’s a pleasant, small ski area. The train is free on the lift pass. It takes about 20 mins, IIRC.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zell am ziller....SMALL?? i dont know where you have been but Zell is the biggest zone in the valley almost 150km of runs! Smile

if staying in Mayrhofen and looking for a quiet spell my personal advice (20+ trips inc my own wedding) is head over to the Ahorn mountain. its a underrated zone, pretty small but is a top to valley ski zone and has everything blue / red / black / fun slopes etc etc and as its small its often overlooked by 1 weekers!

yes you will have to lap the same runs a few times but so what its all fun.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@enduroaid, I presume that's just a few minutes by bus from the station in Mayrhofen (where our hotel is)?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@enduroaid, fair point - I was essentially referring to Rosenalm and Karspitz above Zell, not the other linked areas. My bad. Might have to reacquaint with the area one of these days - must be 12/13 years since I last was there.

Ahorn is, though, very limited regards options, IMO. The run back to the town can be good fun, though snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Limited is no problem for a day. Some gentle cruising is always welcome on the first day, particularly after a 2 year gap. Can't work out where the Ahornbahn goes from. Is it from within Mayrhofen village itself? Map isn't that clear.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@J2R, have you looked on Google Maps? It's not far from the Penkenbahn.

We usually do the first afternoon on arrival day on the Ahorn. Do a few runs and have a couple of beers in between runs. A nice intro to the upcoming week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@J2R, The Ahorn is at the far end of the village from the train station. Its a small area and normally very quiet. The skiing is pretty easy apart from the tough red down to the village, a run that's amongst my favourites anywhere. There's a decent restaurant, the Ahornhutte, owned by former world cup and Olympic skier, Uli Speiss. It has lots of memorabilia on display including a couple of Olympic medals won by Uli's mother at the 1948 St. Moritz games. I haven't been on the Ahorn in a while but when I was a timed GS course which was a lot of fun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jagerbull, brain been a mess today, working hard, didn't even think of using Google Maps, was just looking at piste maps! Blush

There looks to be an interesting itinerary route, 30, on the opposite side of the valley, coming down to the bottom of the Horbergbahn. Anyone done this? I somehow doubt there will be snow down to that level in mid March, but you never know.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another recommendation for the Ahornhütte. (Didn’t know about the racing history, but amazing food and very reasonable prices)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
J2R wrote:

There looks to be an interesting itinerary route, 30, on the opposite side of the valley, coming down to the bottom of the Horbergbahn..

When we went mid-January it was closed and the bottom section was green. But that was a month ago…
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have done it twice in the last 22 years but wouldn't try it again unless there had been a good dump right down to the valley bottom. Giant 5 feet deep moguls at the top, fallen trees half way down, blue Ice sheets towards the bottom and poor marking most of the way leaving you questioning if you have gone the correct way.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JimboS, that's not a 5 star review, is it? Smile
ski holidays
Haha, if I were you I'd just head up the Penken on the first day, keep it simple. On the off chance it's busy then head over to the Ahorn. We often knock off at about 3 and head over to the Ahorn for the last top to bottom run of the day and then head to the cafebar at the bottom of the run for a few beers. It's a really nice little place that also does great pizza.
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:
Haha, if I were you I'd just head up the Penken on the first day, keep it simple. On the off chance it's busy then head over to the Ahorn. We often knock off at about 3 and head over to the Ahorn for the last top to bottom run of the day and then head to the cafebar at the bottom of the run for a few beers. It's a really nice little place that also does great pizza.
You seriously think Debbie will let anyone knock of at 3? Laughing It'll be skiing until the lifts are closed Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy