Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you go from Chambery 19th March..?

Poster: A snowHead
My life is a seris of stories, this one is no different!

I'll be in Chambery dropping some friends off after 2 weeks in Alpe D'Huez (very excited!) and due to a likely employment change I will have a spare week from 19th March snowHead I can change my flight to later!

So, the questions are:

From Chambery, where should I ( and potentially a friend) head to resort wise? Not ADH as they have the music festival... I would like somewhere with a decent ski area, high(ish) for the snow. I would probably need to hire a car too, so could go a bit more non british????

Ideally a catered chalet, but could self cater (eat out) as on the ADH trip i'm in charge of cooking - long story, don't ask.

Ski wise, like to cruise the reds and blues, some blacks are fine too, cover some KM's but not really up to anything extreme these days.

Budget won't be massive as that week I'll be between jobs!

Any suggestions welcomed!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
L2D also has a music festival on that week.

Take a look at Sunweb offerings of accommodation & liftpass? Lots of maurinne valley (Valmeiner/Valloire, Francis longchamp, valfrejus, val cenis & les sybelles) resorts for under £200!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr Egg's suggestion is a good one, but I'd be in no hurry to decide - a lot could happen with the snow (for better or worse) in the next month. You could book a rental car and just sit back and relish the choice you'll have. If you rent a car in Chambery, just make sure you have chains, as it is unlikely to have snow tyres.

There aren't that many catered chalets these days, but a lot of them are "accommodation only" and some might be offering last minute bargains, which you'll be in an ideal situation to pick up, not needing flights. There are several in La Tania, for example.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the tips.

Les Sybelles with a Sunweb offer looks to good to be true! Plenty of skiing and flippin cheap! Can stay a week with a lift pass for less than the lift pass Laughing

Cheers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Sybelles is a great call… If you hire a car you can also rasily hit some other local areas if you fancy a change of scenery (St François, Valloire etc).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ciderinsport wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

Les Sybelles with a Sunweb offer looks to good to be true! Plenty of skiing and flippin cheap! Can stay a week with a lift pass for less than the lift pass Laughing

Cheers

Double check the accommodation location on google maps. Make sure it is in one of the main resorts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Sybelles is a nice place to spend a week, it can suffer a bit due to general lack of altitude but you should be fine. St Sorlin D'Arves is probably the most attractive and traditional village, Toussuire and Le Corbier are a bit like Plagne Centre in appearance.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All booked for a super budget week in St Jean D'Arves, Les Sybelles.

Apartment + Liftpass via Sunweb, 3 of us going, 3 bedrooms - £239pp Shocked Apartment is 100m from the lift.
Car Hire inc excess insurance £82pp

I already had flights booked (Southampton to Chambery), just changed the return date at a cost of £91. I booked ages ago!

Off to Alpe D'Huez for 2 weeks on 5/3 for a non-budget holiday!

So thats 3 weeks of fun on the snow in 2 places I've never skied, I can't wait Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Cider

You were a great help in helping me figure out my ytip to dh last season. Im considering Les Sybelles for this year. How did yo find it vs ADH - i am a late beginner very early intermediate.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Joshsnowfiend wrote:
Hi Cider

You were a great help in helping me figure out my ytip to dh last season. Im considering Les Sybelles for this year. How did yo find it vs ADH - i am a late beginner very early intermediate.

Hello

Les Sybelles is VERY different to ADH. I like it! Been twice now, the first time skiing, the second on a fat bike.

Plus points:

Very cheap if you don't mind staying in a quiet area - look on Sunweb!
Never any lift queue's
Handy buses between some resorts
Skiing is excellent
Views around the place are spectacular

Negatives:

Cheap places are quiet, no real nightlife / limited resturants
Skiing can feel quite spead out - it's a big ridge with runs off. I found enough to play on even when the snow wasn't great.
Still a number of drag lifts, the lift system is improving - they now have 1 bubble lift!!!
Doubt you'll get a transfer so it will be a self drive or hire car holiday - it's an easy drive frive from Chambery. I needed snow chains last Jan, unlike the massive resrorts they don't clear the roads that quickly...
Very few mountain restaurants.

And the important bit - the skiing. If your happy cruising blues and reds and don't mind repeating the better ones then it will suit. There's loads of off piste right by the pistes, even shown on the maps! When the snow is good thats loads of fun to try.

I stayed in St Jean D'Arves when I skiied, and just outside with some friends (who have a little B&B there now) when I fat biked.

Would I go again? Yep! Jan 2024 I'm planning a twelve day trip to ski and fat bike - save a bit of traveling! Oh, and ADH in March too Very Happy

Hope this helps!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you so much for the kind response!! For beginners, would you say les sybelles is as good as the greens and blues above village in adh? If not exactly a good, can you describe the difference?

Will my teens why are very good skiers have enough to do for a week?

Thanks again!!!!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ciderinsport, 19th March is a relatively quiet week in France.
I’d just wait and see what snow conditions and forecast are. Then do a list of resorts you might like.

See what last minute deals are on offer.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I’d just wait and see what snow conditions and forecast are. Then do a list of resorts you might have liked but are glad you didn't book because all the snow has disappeared

FIFY wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Joshsnowfiend wrote:
Thank you so much for the kind response!! For beginners, would you say les sybelles is as good as the greens and blues above village in adh? If not exactly a good, can you describe the difference?

Will my teens why are very good skiers have enough to do for a week?

Thanks again!!!!!!

The bowl at ADH is massive, full of green's and blue's. Those graded runs in Les Sybelles are a bit spread out and sometimes a bit steeper than you might expect! The runs back to the villages tend to be very busy late on too. You basically couldn't get 2 different areas! Each has positives and negatives.

And your teens - it's skiing! They'll find stuff they like Very Happy

Oh, and as mentioned - if your looking to go late season, I wouldn't be booking till much closer just in case!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PeakyB wrote:
@ciderinsport, 19th March is a relatively quiet week in France.
I’d just wait and see what snow conditions and forecast are. Then do a list of resorts you might like.

See what last minute deals are on offer.

The question was about skiing in March 2022 Very Happy
ski holidays
D’oh Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy