Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts / regions with non-skiing activities for toddlers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are a family of 5 (with kids aged 11, 7, 3) with no previous experience. Our plan is that one parent and the older kids will take lessons and ski for a half-day, while the other parent will do some non-skiing activity with the 3-years old (and then swap).
Therefore, we are looking for a resort / town / resort in Europe with great non-skiing activity for the three-year toddler: A great indoor water pool (he really likes pools), playgrounds, etc.

A) So far we have Ellmau (Austria) and Avoriaz (France) on our shortlist. Are there any other places we should consider?

B) We are quite flexible on the date front. For each of those sites (and other recommendations), when will be a good time to travel, assuming we would probably stay on the beginner and blue runs?

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to the forum.

I'd add Flaine, specifically the Forum level to a shortlist. It's incredibly convenient to mix the stated requirements with perfect access as you'd all be right on the slopes to swap etc. Plenty of great experience building piste to learn with exceptional runs even from the top lift for absolute beginner level skiing.

Hotel Totem is a very well positioned place to stay if of interest. All the facilities you'll need are literally outside the ski room exit too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're considering something similar for next month (been skiing for years but the first time with a one year old). One thing I would say about your shortlist is that both resorts are part of very large ski areas, most of which it is unlikely you would get to use.
We're looking at St Johann in Tirol, which seems a fair bit cheaper due to it's smaller ski area, but with a good swimming options, easy public transport links (to Salzburg and other resorts) and seemingly very family friendly (as I'm sure your choices are too).

Oh, and welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks! Flaine looks really good (also closer to the airport).
Is there an indoor / water park nearby? Do you know if there is are indoor playgrounds?
Is late March too late for Flaine?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bloodymeli, we have a 5&2yr old and spent alot of time in Morzine. There is a good indoor pool with young kids areas and its easy to go up to Aquariaz. It has The usual carousel and outdoor rink which they love. Even the little road train that goes between lifts seems to fascinate little ones. There are also parks along the river area and some great beginner ski areas (Nyon my favourite) and the restaurant at Nyon also has a ginormous ball pit and mini zoo. We have never struggled for things to do with them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@bloodymeli, there is also the possibility of having the 3 year old in a ski-kindergarten. They will have indoor play
facilities, as well as places for the kids to play out of doors, in the snow, when the weather permits. If you are taking the kids out of school, I'd say mid March (12th) would be ideal, though prices might be lower towards the end of the month, and days longer, the low-down snow at resort level (which is what you are going to be mostly skiing on) is less reliable. Flaine is a convenient choice.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bloodymeli wrote:
Thanks! Flaine looks really good (also closer to the airport).
Is there an indoor / water park nearby? Do you know if there is are indoor playgrounds?
Is late March too late for Flaine?

Indoor pool is there, but you'd need to check the facilities currently as we've not used it recently. Some indoor activities there in forum shopping area, but outside is really good usually with great (non ski) snow area for children to play in and toboggan. It's right in the village square too with cafèetc around.
March is usually a very good time to be there, often we've been there 2nd 3rd weeks with particularly sunny aspect to it.

Can't emphasize the convenience for mix group though with even the skiers not being far away, it's hugely inclusive for a family and without that feeling of leaving those not skiing out on a limb.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bloodymeli wrote:
Hi, we are a family of 5 (with kids aged 11, 7, 3) with no previous experience. Our plan is that one parent and the older kids will take lessons and ski for a half-day, while the other parent will do some non-skiing activity with the 3-years old (and then swap).
Therefore, we are looking for a resort / town / resort in Europe with great non-skiing activity for the three-year toddler: A great indoor water pool (he really likes pools), playgrounds, etc.

Some Austrian ski resorts cater for childcare swapping, providing an interchangeable ski pass for the parents. For a weekly pass, this may help to keep the cost down a little. Possibly worth considering in your search if that’s important.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @valluga! This is exactly the kind of resorts I was hoping for - smaller, family-oriented websites. @Nadenoodlee, we will definitely add Morzine to our shortlist as well.

A) Do you recommend ski lessons for the three years old as well (he'll be actually 2 years and 11 months old)? He doesn't speak English, German or French.
B) Can we start ski school on every day of the week or are there fixed days? Likewise for holiday apartments.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bloodymeli, some do. I don't. My theory is they have many years ahead of them - better to let them play and love the snow than to try and teach them. I have a great nanny in Morzine that looks after the kids when we are skiing - they have the best time. 5yr old does 2.5hr lessons in the morning.
Group lessons tend to start sunday/monday for beginners. You wont find group lessons for under 3s. It would be private only. If the budget stretches Austrian Kinder hotels are absolute kids paradise and have alot of different care options in house. We like Ballunspitze in Galtur.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Do you recommend ski lessons for the three years old as well (he'll be actually 2 years and 11 months old)

No, I don't. Most kids that age will enjoy some gentle toboganning - though not all. My eldest grandchild hated it - just couldn't cope with feeling so out of control, though she loved pulling the toboggan around with a teddy bear strapped in. But all the others loved the out of control feeling! The eldest, again, was really anxious about her first ski lessons, at 4, even with a lovely friendly one-to-one instructor. It's daft to say that all kids are necessarily fearless; she was terrified, though very brave. She flatly refused the first time the instructor wanted to take her up a chairlift, though she consented the next day when I offered to go along and take video for her to show her teacher! The little ski school nurseries aren't really about skiing, at all - just playing in the snow with warm indoor alternatives. The Austrian Kinder hotels do sound terrific, but quite budget-stretchy!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
St Johann in Tirol has a lovely pool, think there is also a soft play (based on overhearing a granny looking after a 2 year old last week). Access to the pool is free if you get a free guest pass staying in one of the hotels.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy